Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Defective Dunlop

Old 03-19-2015, 08:46 AM
Chuck U. Farley
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hopefully you got the tire and wheel coverage when you got the bike. I picked up a nail at 200 miles in my rear tire, fortunately my wife convinced me to get the extra coverage.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:48 AM
skypilot_one
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They do look like box cutter slashes.

I had ordered a set from Motorcycle superstore. When I removed the cardboard and hairnet you could see where it looked like someone cut the plastic straps from the packaging and cut the sidewalls.. Luckily I spotted them before mounting.

Attached Thumbnails New Defective Dunlop-104.jpg  

Last edited by skypilot_one; 03-19-2015 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:44 AM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by CSMHOG
Posting this here in case anyone has recently installed new Dunlops on their scoot. Please check your tires.

Picked up my new 2015 Ultra Limited back in Jan this year. Noticed today that my front tire is splitting horizontally (pic posted). Tire only has 4,000 miles on it (yes I live in Florida) and I check my pressure weekly. It's kept at 38 lbs. Tire must be defective. I ride up and down the turnpike almost daily at 75 / 80 mph. The "what if" pictures I run in my mind aren't pretty.

Taking it to the dealer tomorrow for warranty. I'm sure they'll square it away.
==========================

I too had a bad exp with a brand new dunlop installed & balanced on the front of my bike and it was very skitish,did seem like an out of balance issue,was like it was ice at times only happening when conering .

check aln front to back and i was fine,had tire reballanced and it was fine,rode for approx 500miles to ensure it was well broken in and it got worse ,was very scarry at time where bike would drift like on ice in corners only which it didnt do at all with the old worn out tire ,bike handled and traked fine.

So i checked everythig else like head bearing and wheel bearings etc and all was ok so i said it had to be the new tire even thoug it look fine so i hae then install a bridgestone tire they had on hand and guess what,problem fixed and bike was back toi handling & tracking just fine.

Butt what was bad for me was regional dunlop rep would not take the tire back and refund me after he inspected the tire because he said it looked fine and the shop that sold it to me would not refund me the money and go to bad with the dunlop rep either so i got screwed.

I told shop you would rather not refund me the cost for 1 tire and loose all the future tire and other srvc i may bring you let along the bad press i could put out on the street about my exp with your shop and the defective new tire you sold me and he said yup.

Now thats a down right ignorant buisness man that doesn't have any idea about what real cust srvc is about and if owned that shop i would have refunded the money to the cust and fought it out with the dunlop rep letting him know he was going to loose selling hundreds of tires to me yrly over the return of 1 defective tire and if the guy had any brains he would have accepted the def tire so he would not loose selling that shop hundreds of tires yrly ,but i guess ya never know how that would have really gone down.

Scott

Old 03-19-2015, 03:56 PM
Geezer glider
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not totally dumping on dunlops, I've had a few that I got 15,000 miles out of them before picking up a screw/nail (seems easier to get punctureswhen worn). Just lately I've been having bad luck with them. This is the first set of American Elites. I'll get this replacement on and will give it another chance, but will move on to Michelin or Metzler. I'll be looking for the date of manufacturing code as soon as the tire shows up.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:42 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

I hope the OP gets it resolved.

That being said, I love my T&WW. It's amazing how much crap tires will pick up as they thin out.

Old 03-19-2015, 05:38 PM
J929626
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Seems like the OP checked out.

Doesn't really matter if it is a defect, cut or road damage if you have the T&WW. Just get it fixed and move on.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:05 PM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

I do have the T&WW but it will be interesting to see what the dealer says. My appointment to have it replaced is tomorrow (Friday, Mar 20). I'll post again after I getback.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:09 PM
J929626
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by CSMHOG
I do have the T&WW but it will be interesting to see what the dealer says. My appointment to have it replaced is tomorrow (Friday, Mar 20). I'll post again after I getback.
Be sure and tell your dealer that you have the T&WW before they start work. They may have to call it in and get approval to replace.

Old 03-20-2015, 04:26 AM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by J929626
Be sure and tell your dealer that you have the T&WW before they start work. They may have to call it in and get approval to replace.

Thx, I will. What is that smaller pipe between your exhaust and rear fender?? I seen it in a pic in your photo album, the one with your TX tag. Jealous too BTW, I'd love to move to TX someday.

Old 03-20-2015, 04:24 PM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member

Dealer replaced the front tire using my T&WW, cost $50. They said it probably happened hitting a pot hole or something and that they've seen worse. I did hit a pot hole a couple weeks ago but I didn't think it was that bad.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Defective Dunlop