Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how much longer till harley motors get larger?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 09:21 AM
gvoxx
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Escalade, if you want bigger engines whether you need it or not, why not get a boss hoss? Its American made and comes in at what....350 cubic inches?

There is a reason everyone isn't riding around on them, besides price, size becomes ridiculous, inefficient, even dangerous because of the detrimental effects to handling.

Here is a benchmark for Harley, build the bike with lighter, stronger metals, that is effectively making the engine more powerful and improving handling and efficiency without even touching the engine. Then with not much re-tooling they could get 20 more hp stock. That would produce a great bike without adding more heat, weight, fuel consumption, decreasing range and handling.

If they really wanted to get crazy they could try this:
http://contest.techbriefs.com/2013/e...hnologies/3800

Producing an engine with a combustion chamber on each side of the piston would double the cubic inches as far as output without adding any size at all. New tech, long way off I know but this is the kind of radical thing that exists that Harley will be 20 years behind the curve on, which is the very reason most people choose Harleys to begin with. Something to be said for nostalgia. When the world is building the next high tech spaceship, Harley keeps cranking out a classic war horse and we all love them for it.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:35 AM
Kennedy81
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised if we see direct injection replacing standard fuel injection in the next 5 years. That would definitely bump up power and efficiency without many other changes.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:50 AM
nuttbaggerr
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gvoxx
Escalade, if you want bigger engines whether you need it or not, why not get a boss hoss? Its American made and comes in at what....350 cubic inches?

There is a reason everyone isn't riding around on them, besides price, size becomes ridiculous, inefficient, even dangerous because of the detrimental effects to handling.

Here is a benchmark for Harley, build the bike with lighter, stronger metals, that is effectively making the engine more powerful and improving handling and efficiency without even touching the engine. Then with not much re-tooling they could get 20 more hp stock. That would produce a great bike without adding more heat, weight, fuel consumption, decreasing range and handling.

If they really wanted to get crazy they could try this:
http://contest.techbriefs.com/2013/e...hnologies/3800

Producing an engine with a combustion chamber on each side of the piston would double the cubic inches as far as output without adding any size at all. New tech, long way off I know but this is the kind of radical thing that exists that Harley will be 20 years behind the curve on, which is the very reason most people choose Harleys to begin with. Something to be said for nostalgia. When the world is building the next high tech spaceship, Harley keeps cranking out a classic war horse and we all love them for it.

This. If future high-end models are going to knock on $35K~$40K, I'd want to get my money's worth...so aluminum 7-gallon stretched tank, CF fenders/bags/fairings/panels, light-weight (but stronger) wheels/brake rotors and a 7 or 8 speed tranny so it can have better acceleration and high MPGs to boot!. Hey dreaming costs nothing, is still free

Old 03-26-2015, 01:37 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Might be a while before Harley goes to direct injection. That system make some pretty ugly noises, that few bikers would want to listen to going down the road.

Old 03-26-2015, 02:55 PM
Roadflyer
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by KCFLHRC
Well, I agree, bigger is better. I left Yamaha for the Harley and guess what, I'm back on a Yamaha. The 113 in the Stratoliner is a beast.

I used to own a Roadliner and you are right, the engine does pull hard.
The brakes are great, the suspension and handling are good (although the bike is just too bloody big). I didn't like that 5th gear is more like 4 1/2
and I got tired of defending the styling of the bike to every *** with an opinion- I liked the styling, it didn't look like every other bike out there.
I have a RK now and it looks exactly the same as a million others.

Old 03-26-2015, 04:24 PM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

Damn and I'm OK with my 88. Does everything I want it to do

Old 03-26-2015, 05:13 PM
THE PEG
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I have a 15' Ultra Limited. If you are touring the 103 HO is an efficient motor. I don't want them to make the bike lighter to make it faster. The weight of the bike keeps it planted to the ground and more wind resistant. I just did 1500K in Florida a few weeks ago. The bike was flawless. I rode between St. Augustine and Key West. The heat was manageable, first time ever I was able to cruise Main st in Daytona with no heat problems. The bike handled wind and rain at all speeds. I averaged about 45 mpg, at a moving speed. The bike can do 100 mpg all day. Is there a reason to? Even if Harley goes to a 110 or 120. I will keep my 103. What I look for is reliability and efficiency.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:55 PM
escalade6103
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gvoxx

350? why stop there. if your getting a boss hoss then get the 502!

Old 03-26-2015, 09:25 PM
VETERAN75
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nuttbaggerr
This. If future high-end models are going to knock on $35K~$40K, I'd want to get my money's worth...so aluminum 7-gallon stretched tank, CF fenders/bags/fairings/panels, light-weight (but stronger) wheels/brake rotors and a 7 or 8 speed tranny so it can have better acceleration and high MPGs to boot!. Hey dreaming costs nothing, is still free
The high end models are at 35 and up. The CVO Roadglide ultra is around 39.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:34 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadflyer
I used to own a Roadliner and you are right, the engine does pull hard.
The brakes are great, the suspension and handling are good (although the bike is just too bloody big). I didn't like that 5th gear is more like 4 1/2
and I got tired of defending the styling of the bike to every *** with an opinion- I liked the styling, it didn't look like every other bike out there.
I have a RK now and it looks exactly the same as a million others.
I like the size of the bike, but I'm 6' 225 so it feels good to me. The bike just thunders down the highway. I was so disappointed when I went from my 06 Stratoliner to a 2011 Roadking that I had to go back. Once you have the power of that bike nothing much else will do. Styling wise, yeah, it's different. But I like that. And you can pick up a nice used one for under $7k with low miles. Is it a Harley? Nope, but I really don't care. I'm way too old to be trying to impress anyone with what I ride. I miss the cruise and 6th gear, but that's all I miss. I have a lot of 2 lane highways around me and it's really nice to not have to plan a pass on the highway. A quick twist of the throttle and you are gone.

Last edited by KCFLHRC; 03-27-2015 at 08:37 AM.

Quick Reply: how much longer till harley motors get larger?