Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New rule for riding

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 04:18 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 78 Posts
Default New rule for riding

Blastin' down the road on Sunday and one of the damn saddlebag lids blew off. It was my fault, I didn't put it on right earlier in the day. Flew over my buddy, he was riding 30 feet behind me, landed right on the windshield of a car, bounced off and landed on the side of the road. Everyone was ok, and the owner of the car was cool about it. Went back to get it and was amazed it was in one piece and not cracked. It's scratched to hell and looks like ****, but it's functional and it finished out the rest of the 400 mile ride just fine. Damn glad too, there tough to get a replacement for nowadays. Ah well, a little prep and paint and it'll look like new.

Another 100 miles or so into therideand we stop to get gas and one of the damn rubber floorboard pads has decided to leave my bike. The 18yr old glue decided it was time to pack it in and call it a day. My buddy just looked at me and said "yeah, I sawthat fall off to and I saw about 5 cars run it over so it's definitly gone". I'm just sitting there putting gas in my bike and thinkin' WTF!?!

A little Later on in the day, me and my buddy are sitting at a bar getting some wings and planning out how were going to get back home. He looks at me and says "Here's the new rule, anything less that a foot and half long falls off your bike and were not stopping for it!" needless to say we sprayed most of our beer and wings out our noses from laughin so hard. The Bartender just looked at us like we were nuts. Ah well, at least we got a new road rule now.

Old 04-23-2007, 05:20 PM
bloozeman2002
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New rule for riding

Bummer story man.. Its good that your buddy did get hit.

This last weekend, I let this chick lock my bag on my 07 Ultra. Well, she locked it in the open position, and now I have a custom lid. Love it!

Old 04-23-2007, 05:58 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep those old bag lids sucked, new ones can't come off even if left unlatched.

Old 04-23-2007, 06:12 PM
chiabate
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't miss those days! The new and improved lids were designed because of stories just like this.

Old 04-23-2007, 06:25 PM
Kern
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats a good road rule.

Old 04-23-2007, 07:14 PM
Unome
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even with new lids, I keep mine locked at all times. Even if they can't fall off, no fun losing stuff when they do pop open.

Old 04-23-2007, 07:18 PM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad you made it home in one piece. Back when I was riding my Triumph, I'd let the parts lay there, then follow them so I could find my way back home.

Old 04-23-2007, 07:41 PM
billk
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 89FLHT

Blastin' down the road on Sunday and one of the damn saddlebag lids blew off. It was my fault, I didn't put it on right earlier in the day. Flew over my buddy, he was riding 30 feet behind me, landed right on the windshield of a car, bounced off and landed on the side of the road. Everyone was ok, and the owner of the car was cool about it. Went back to get it and was amazed it was in one piece and not cracked. It's scratched to hell and looks like ****, but it's functional and it finished out the rest of the 400 mile ride just fine. Damn glad too, there tough to get a replacement for nowadays. Ah well, a little prep and paint and it'll look like new.

Another 100 miles or so into therideand we stop to get gas and one of the damn rubber floorboard pads has decided to leave my bike. The 18yr old glue decided it was time to pack it in and call it a day. My buddy just looked at me and said "yeah, I sawthat fall off to and I saw about 5 cars run it over so it's definitly gone". I'm just sitting there putting gas in my bike and thinkin' WTF!?!

A little Later on in the day, me and my buddy are sitting at a bar getting some wings and planning out how were going to get back home. He looks at me and says "Here's the new rule, anything less that a foot and half long falls off your bike and were not stopping for it!" needless to say we sprayed most of our beer and wings out our noses from laughin so hard. The Bartender just looked at us like we were nuts. Ah well, at least we got a new road rule now.

Remind me never to ride "behind" you. Maybe you will be the next thing 'flying' off the bike.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:05 PM
BiggestDawg
Advanced HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll follow, at a safe distance, and get some spare parts j/k
Glad no one got hurt.

Old 04-24-2007, 09:09 AM
jbhawley
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i found a footboard beside the road...its for sme on ebay.

Quick Reply: New rule for riding