Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What mufflers behind rush head pipes

Old 03-26-2015, 09:14 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Deckman
Weird, I have Rush Big Louie's with the 2.0" Baffle and no rattle or tinny sound. Must have something loose. I had Rineharts that rattled until I tightened up the baffles.

I said almost the same thing in his other thread about the noise.

He must not have found it.

I really want to know what mufflers he's running, because I'm looking to buy a set of Black Big Louies. I have chrome ones, and love them...

Old 03-26-2015, 04:01 PM
ultraclassic53
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm running the Rush Premium Headers with the crossover. I have Big Louies with 2.00 baffles, Slash Downs ....
Last Friday, I put the head pipes on and then the mufflers and fired it up. It had this crazy tinney rattle that I can't figure out. I didn't have the heat shields on yet. I went back and checked everything for contact and tightened every thing down. Still Rattled.
Called Rush and informed them of what was going on. I told them I would try a couple of things over the weekend and let them know what happened on Monday.
First I pulled the muffles off and put the stock muffles on, No Rattle. I'm thinking that proves it was isolated to the mufflers probably.
Next I pulled the baffles out of my Limited, they are 2.25's, I put them into my CVO which is the one that started out with the rattle. With the 2.25's in the mufflers they don't rattle.
Next I put the 2.00's into my Limited mufflers, Which are also Big Louies and the rattle.....
So this tells me that its not the muffler housing but the 2.00 baffles that are the problem.
I call Rush and talk to them and they make a comment that sometimes on certain bikes, they will do that. They talked about reversion and when you let off the gas and the motor deceled it was sucking some air back into the muffler and it wasn't really a rattle but kinda just sounded like one.
I let them know a couple of years ago I had a similar problem and they were pretty responsive in getting it fixed. I told them I was going to try a few more things and get back with them.
So last night I was determined to figure these darn baffles out.
First I decided to change the set up a bit hoping it might change the flow and get rid of the noise. I pulled the baffles out and cut off half the perforated tube that comes off the front of the baffle to see what that did.
Nothing, Same rattle.
Then I pulled them again and wrapped a single layer of masking tape around the metallic part of the baffle that came in contact with the muffler housing, slide them back in and tightened them down.
Nothing, same rattle.
I noticed that the perforated tube that runs all the way thro the baffle isn't welded on the exhaust end, maybe that's it....I didn't have my welder at the house so I used several layers of super glue down in the crack and let it dry just to see if it did anything. Nope
Same rattle.
To be honest I have nearly the same set up on my other two bikes. The only difference is that they are black pipes and mufflers, they are the tip compatible version, and they have 2.25 baffles... They are great....That's why I ordered this set. I just wanted something a little tamer.
As a last resort I have ordered a set of 1.75 baffles's to see if they would work. If not I guess I have to go to something different.
I had a similar problem back in 2012 when I put a set on my 2013 CVO Road King. Same sound. Rush sent me a replacement baffle in the same size and it didn't fix it, then they sent a baffle size bigger, then a baffle size smaller. Eventually they sent me 2 new mufflers which fixed it.
So....out of 5 bikes I've put muffles on 2 have had this problem.
That's why I'm getting ready to jump off the Rush muffler wagon if these 1.75 baffles don't work.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:35 PM
ultraclassic53
Road Captain

I recieved a note from Rush stating they wanted me to contact them when I found out if the 1.75's worked or not.
One thing I will say about Rush is they do try to stand by their products.

Old 03-27-2015, 05:10 PM
ultraclassic53
Road Captain

The story of my life with these mufflers....
I ordered a set of 1.75 baffles to see if they would fix it and F-ing 2.50's show up. I guess it will take 2 more weeks to figure this crap out.

Old 03-28-2015, 10:38 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Deckman
Weird, I have Rush Big Louie's with the 2.0" Baffle and no rattle or tinny sound. Must have something loose. I had Rineharts that rattled until I tightened up the baffles.

Same here --- Big Louies with a 2.5, and I love 'em. No issues.

Old 03-28-2015, 01:05 PM
ultraclassic53
Road Captain

Yea, I know. Rush replied and said maybe I just got a set of baffles and the tolerance isn't right. When I put my 2.25's in they don't rattle