Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question On Internal Wiring With a Bar Swap

Old 03-26-2015, 01:56 PM
1sandking1
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shadowbennie
Yeah, I think that expandable sleeve isn't helping your cause. It tends to be more pushing than pulling and that sleeve grows in diameter when pushed. And it could be hanging up on the welds in the corners once it expands.

I had some of that I was going to use when I wired my KST mayhem bars up, but didn't think it would work so well.

Now that I read some of these comments, I agree. Hence my first question, does everybody even wrap the harness? Most videos I see on the net show unwrapped wiring going in. My bars came prewired and unwrapped, didn't think it was a good idea. Thanks for all the comments guys!

Last edited by 1sandking1; 03-26-2015 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:49 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

I wrap the wires in electrical tape then heat shrink over that. In some cases I will use Gorilla Duct Tape over the heat shrink but that may stiffen it a little too much for your bars. The Duct tape does make it slide a lil easier though.

2010 Limited with some stuff

Old 03-26-2015, 03:11 PM
1sandking1
Tourer

Do you guys see any issues leaving the pins on my wires while pulling through?

Old 03-26-2015, 03:34 PM
Weatheredge
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...just finished pulling wires on 12" Mayhem Bagger Bars w/ connector pins
- wiring was heat shrink wrapped - spaced pins out and wrapped with elect. tape before shrink wrap on pin area - pulled with parachute cord and used Dielectric Grease for lube
--was really surprised that the plug-in-play TBW (green-plug) wire went threw without a hitch - lucky I guess

Old 03-26-2015, 05:18 PM
Hatrick
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put on 10 in. wild ones on my 14 sgs used a chain no coating or lube
cut a wire in half
repaired wire used the same process took more time did not push or pull as hard
so far all is well

Old 03-26-2015, 05:40 PM
Mr HOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the Yaffe bars on my Street Glide but they don't have the sharp angle on the lower end like yours. Anyway, I used shrink wrap when I did mine. That stuff you are using looks like it would tend to hang up on the corners.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:44 PM
Mr HOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1sandking1
Do you guys see any issues leaving the pins on my wires while pulling through?
Leave the pins on the wires but cover them with shrink wrap. Cut the wrap back once you get the wires through.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:33 PM
1sandking1
Tourer

A little update, I got some 5/8" vinyl tubing and pulled it through the bars then ran the wiring through that. The soft tubing went in like butter and so did the wiring. This was not only easy, but it will protect the wires from getting nicked on the edges. Just finished one side, now headed to the next side. Thanks for all the other ideas

Old 03-26-2015, 09:28 PM
Shadowbennie
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sandking1
A little update, I got some 5/8" vinyl tubing and pulled it through the bars then ran the wiring through that. The soft tubing went in like butter and so did the wiring. This was not only easy, but it will protect the wires from getting nicked on the edges. Just finished one side, now headed to the next side. Thanks for all the other ideas
Hmmm, you may be on to something. Sounds like it worked well. I like the idea of creating a smooth wire way with the vinyl. Might try this on the next set I wire, either for myself or any of my buddies. Got some specs/info on the vinyl tubing?

Old 03-26-2015, 10:42 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

I used shrink wrap as well .....Harbor Freight is good source BTW. Ideal Clearglide is made for running electrical wires thru conduit and worked great available at Lowes. I did basically the Yaffe method. Making a loop on end tip of shrink wrap and thread welding wire like fish hook. Used lots of Clearglide it basically evaporates so leaves no mess. And the push/pull is key to run.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question On Internal Wiring With a Bar Swap