Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question On Internal Wiring With a Bar Swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 12:04 AM
1sandking1
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question On Internal Wiring With a Bar Swap

Im sure this has been covered many times, but my frustration right now doesn't allow my patience to search correctly. I am swapping to 12" Yaffe style bars. I have the sharp corners on top and also on the bottom, the lower ones are a bit extreme. Anyway, I have wrapped all my wires with an expanded sleeve to try and keep my wires protected form the sharp corners. I am having a hech of a hard time getting around even the first bend. All of the videos on YouTube show the wires to be exposed and not in any type of loom or heat shrink. This would seem much easier to pull through as the end of the wires can be staggered to prevent the initial bulge going through the corners. But my question is, will those corners nick the wires while pulling? Or will the corner rub through the wire over time? HELP! Thanks

Old 03-26-2015, 12:28 AM
Munkee
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't have experience with bars with sharp corners but from what searching for my install I remember reading some guys having issues down the road with wires when not wrapped. I would lube them up real good and give it another go.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:11 AM
bufbills
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

i wrapped my wires tightly with electrical tape. 14" twin peaks. Real easy to pull.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:18 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

I tried electrical tape, but it started peeling back and catching. Best I can offer, what worked for me, is use a pull "chain" (got small dia chain @ Lowe's), tie-off well, lube the "****" out of your wiring and take your time. Good luck!

Old 03-26-2015, 09:34 AM
1sandking1
Tourer

Ill give it another shot guys. Maybe the chain is the trick because I have tried string and #14 solid copper wire to pull it and it seems that both of these got hooked up on the corners. One more question...... I still have my pins on my wires, I staggered my splices in between the pins and the switches. Do you see this being any issue?

Old 03-26-2015, 09:37 AM
1sandking1
Tourer

These are the bars I have BTW...

Old 03-26-2015, 11:50 AM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

I am in the process of doing my bars. Carlini 14" Gaster Apes. Like all other are saying, shrink tube the wires and not black tape (will explain next) and lube up. Push the wires through the hole, then pull the other end. Like a dance (or something else), push, pull, push, pull...

Depending on the lube you use, some will eat at the black tape and it will come undone.

For lube, dont use tons either. A little goes a long way. Vaseline, WD40, dish soap are all types you can use. There is stuff out there you can buy that does this job as well. Sometimes nicknamed camelcome.

Patience is # 1 as well.

Good luck!

Old 03-26-2015, 11:58 AM
1sandking1
Tourer

I have it wrapped in this expanded sleeve now, my thought was this would be more flexible over shrink tube and it has a nice slippery kinda feel to it. But maybe its not a good option as I cant really "push" this through as its not rigid enough. I will try to shrink tube it and see if I can get that to work...

Old 03-26-2015, 12:06 PM
SALBEEZY
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine are JSR bagger bars the have the corners but not as sharp but I used a shoe string believe it or not but what I found really worked is getting some one to push while u pull and lots of lube .........

Old 03-26-2015, 01:51 PM
Shadowbennie
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sandking1

I have it wrapped in this expanded sleeve now, my thought was this would be more flexible over shrink tube and it has a nice slippery kinda feel to it. But maybe its not a good option as I cant really "push" this through as its not rigid enough. I will try to shrink tube it and see if I can get that to work...
Yeah, I think that expandable sleeve isn't helping your cause. It tends to be more pushing than pulling and that sleeve grows in diameter when pushed. And it could be hanging up on the welds in the corners once it expands.

I had some of that I was going to use when I wired my KST mayhem bars up, but didn't think it would work so well.

Quick Reply: Question On Internal Wiring With a Bar Swap