Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTF Oil leak?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 08:03 AM
Nikogto
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
How well does the jack move around on those knobbed floor tiles with the bike up on it?

I've a shed that the previous owner leveled using a dead opossum or such. I've been thinking of sorta leveling it with some tiles like you have there.
Don't know, I don't move it around once it's up in the air. Just bought the jack last month after I bought tires.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:07 AM
Nikogto
Advanced

Originally Posted by lp
Stator wire coming out of the case. It's a common leaking point...
Is there a way to seal it, or is it leaking due to the way the bike is sitting now? Last time I rode was Saturday about 45 miles, and it sat in the garage till later afternoon when I jacked it up, was clean before that.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:12 AM
prezflyr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you sure it is engine oil and not primary oil. I had a leak in the same place and it was my starter seal leaking primary fluid and traveling down the engine.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:30 AM
Nikogto
Advanced

It's oil, looks like its coming from stator wire harness like lp said

Old 03-26-2015, 09:03 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

It is not because the bike is sitting upright and level.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:18 AM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
Stator wire coming out of the case. It's a common leaking point...
That is exactly my first thought too. You can try and stop the leaking by cleaning the stator cable and plug. Then putting silicon on it...but it never works for long. You can not buy a separate new cable/plug either. Unfortunately the only good solution is to replace the stator (on the inside of the primary case) with a new one which comes with a new rubber plug which goes through the primary case.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:25 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,720 Likes on 1,546 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikogto
Is there a way to seal it, or is it leaking due to the way the bike is sitting now? Last time I rode was Saturday about 45 miles, and it sat in the garage till later afternoon when I jacked it up, was clean before that.
Once you remove the primary and everything in it, the stator and it's wiring harness can be cleaned and reinstalled using some high temp RTV. This will give you a more miles. Most however will opt to change out the stator to the newer style that has more O-rings and seals better. In either case it's a bunch of work but not hard to do.

The stator harness usually just seeps oil. So if you have a huge puddle or something I would keep looking because it could be both your stator seeping which is almost normal AND your primary or trans leaking elsewhere and it's running down the inside of the case and dropping down at the front. Just check and double check before doing anything.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:29 AM
harleyrider4300
Tourer

Received 100 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Not an upright problem

Originally Posted by Nikogto
2007 Ultra Classic 15k, never leaked a drop, just jacked it up last weekend to remove the wheels so I could change the tires, planned on re-installing them this weekend, I noticed last night as I walked by it, a puddle under the front, looks like it's coming from a switch/electrical connector just inside from the shifter a couple inches? Basically running down and dripping off lower case. Anyone else had this problem with the bike sitting level instead of on kickstand? That's basically the only thing that has changed is the angle of the bike. What is that switch for, tranny fluid too high? Thanks in advance for any help.
I keep my bike on a center stand. It is always upright ROADGLIDE Never a problem

Old 03-26-2015, 09:33 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

I used silicone on mine when it first started leaking, just clean the area real well. Mine's never leaked again in two years. Very common problem.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:39 AM
Rickey
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an 07 Ultra and mine started leaking around 23K. I had to change the stator out. I saved the stator in case I am ever in a bind with a bad stator and can just put some high temp RTV for a while. You never know. You can change it without pulling the inner primary. Nothing like a dremmel to grind a little to get the comp off.

Quick Reply: WTF Oil leak?????