Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Article on Engine Defect

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 06:51 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

That article has been around a long time and doesn't deserve taking the time to read it!

Old 03-27-2015, 06:52 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
I'm astonished to read that a manufacturer makes a product that is subject to aging and wear. I thought we'd long gotten past the point where any forms of maintenance and repairs were ever required. ;-P

"Those Bastards" !!

Old 03-27-2015, 06:54 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

I quit reading when he said the EVO was flawless.

Not saying it wasn't a good engine, but it was a damn sight from flawless....

Old 03-27-2015, 07:01 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
That article has been around a long time and doesn't deserve taking the time to read it!
There's an accompanying YouTube diatribe by some Victory fanboy posing, I gather, as a tech of some sort. It apparently goes with this script. Again, not worth the time really, except to illustrate that when you're on top, you're a big target for the also-rans.

Oh, FWIW, I've also become aware, from past reading, that there is a reason for the use of the cam chain. I won't go into details because I'm not technically proficient enough to defend that reason but its not just there because of uninspired engineering on HD's part. The topic can be easily Google'd.

Last edited by HKMark23; 03-27-2015 at 07:13 AM.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:11 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

The guy obviously is OCD, and gets overly excited. But it has a lot of good points.

I just had my 2003 Cam chain tensioner upgraded, and a lower gasket leak fixed. Wasn't cheap.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:47 AM
jclax01
Road Warrior
Received 481 Likes on 265 Posts

A lot of folks are saying that there is a lot of bias in this article. The truth is, I know quite a few folks who have had these issues. burying your head in the sand does not remove the problem. replacing the cam chain shoe is relatively easy to do, but you really should not have to do this.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:47 AM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

Damn skippy, I'll be selling mine this afternoon.

Old 03-27-2015, 12:09 PM
the warden
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I started reading this article several years ago and got bored quick. This guy really likes to hear himself talk. HDs are mechanical beasts. All mechanical things wear out at some point. Many have inherent design issues and HD is no different. If you cannot accept HDs issues, then perhaps a Honda GW will better suit you. Me, I maintain my bike properly and will continue to twist the throttle of my 17th HD as hard as ever, not worrying that the latest little noise or vibration will cause it to explode.

Old 03-27-2015, 12:32 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Yes, that article is old.

But some of it remains current. IMHO, any manufacturer that puts plastic parts in engines that run as hot as our Harleys do, deserves all the lawsuits and problems that come from it.

In our Harleys, you have plastic (nylon) on the primary chain tensioner, and on the cam chain.

FWIW, I spent several years of my life working with plastics for Telex, Inc. Remember seeing all the NFL headsets that said TELEX? Yeah, well, I made those on my shift. Along with hearing aids for Wards, Sears, and others. Same product, different name.

Look up the melting points of plastics (FYI, 428 °F (220 °C) is the melting point of nylon) Compare to the possible temps running inside our engines when we are stuck in traffic. Look up "heat stress of plastic." How many times are those tensioners "heat stressed"? Like, every time you ride? Have you ever noticed how the plastic bulb holder around a headlight bulb just seems to "fall apart" when you change a bulb on an older vehicle? That's heat stress. Come to your own decisions. That's why I have gear cams in my bike....

We also made knock sensors for Chrysler and Volvo. Anyone who thinks their hot running engine runs fine on regular gas should see an oscilloscope showing engine knock, and then study up on Harley's incredible engine management system. How many of you know that the spark plug is the knock sensor? But that's a whole 'nother subject.

Old 03-27-2015, 12:40 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by MNPGRider
In our Harleys, you have plastic (nylon) on the primary chain tensioner, and on the cam chain.
Are you really suggesting that the primary tensioner shoe is made of the same stuff as your wife's tights? I also have worked with plastics and there are two broad groups, thermo plastics and thermo-setting plastics. Some of these modern materials are performing wonders in a wide variety of applications and environments.

Quick Reply: Article on Engine Defect