Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Grip! Tires ..

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 09:24 PM
TO34
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Need Grip! Tires ..

Well it is that time for a new set, and at the top of the list is grip... I'm looking at shinko which use to be yokohama brand of tire. From the reviews people are getting about 5K out of them which seems to be about a season for me. It seems to be an issues of miles vs grip.

I'm not stuck to any one brand .. but the current set of dunlops are garbage.

Any thoughts or advice would be great.

Thanks

Old 03-26-2015, 09:31 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Michelin Commander II's get my vote.

2010 Limited with some stuff

Old 03-26-2015, 09:49 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Seems that every brand gets better reviews than Dunlop, a shame, would like to buy American tires, but Avons handle and ride much better for me. Used to be, and still is for most, soft shorter lasting tires had the best grip, but motorcycle tire technology is improving so hopefully we'll be getting better mileage and keep or improve on the good grip. Meanwhile, grip is my first priority, then cost, and I just don't worry about mileage. New tires every year or so isn't bad, especially since I change my own, really cuts the expense. Haven't tried Shrinkos, cheap price worries me that I'd be getting what I paid for, but have seen only good comments about them on this forum.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:26 PM
TO34
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
Seems that every brand gets better reviews than Dunlop, a shame, would like to buy American tires, but Avons handle and ride much better for me. Used to be, and still is for most, soft shorter lasting tires had the best grip, but motorcycle tire technology is improving so hopefully we'll be getting better mileage and keep or improve on the good grip. Meanwhile, grip is my first priority, then cost, and I just don't worry about mileage. New tires every year or so isn't bad, especially since I change my own, really cuts the expense. Haven't tried Shrinkos, cheap price worries me that I'd be getting what I paid for, but have seen only good comments about them on this forum.
Yup if it wasn't for the fact I know that Shrinko use to be Yoko's I wouldn't consider it. Nice to see I'm not the only one who gets new tires yearly. At the price point I might say screw it and get a set just to see because I'm curious.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:00 PM
R_Einan
Road Master
Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

Which dunlop are you running? I just put an American elite on the front and like it so far.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:46 AM
bufbills
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

Shinkos stick like glue.

Old 03-27-2015, 05:59 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Another vote for Avons - I've been riding with them on my Harleys since the '70s.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:03 AM
RottnRam
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am also in the market for new tires this year. I am opting for the Metzeler 888 Ultra Touring tires. I had them on my previous softail (880) and was pleased with their performance. Reviews are mixed on the Metzeler and they are different models but, hasn't dissuaded me from giving them a try.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:10 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,333 Likes on 3,273 Posts

I've tried about 8 types and one thing I have not had was lack of grip with any of the tires I have had on the bike in 90000 miles. If you only want a tire that lasts 5000 miles then the Shinko or the Night Dragon would fit the bill, the tires I had like the Night Dragon on my bike did ok for the first 1500 miles but after that they didn't perform any better than others I had on...
Try it I say and if you like it then good for you....Each rider has different feel and style of riding which affects the life if the tire.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:20 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by bufbills
Shinkos stick like glue.
True. I put SHINKO 777's on my boys Heritage and you can't ask for a better tire. My buddy put the SHINKO 230's on his Ultra and the bike tracked with every groove in the road. He took them off before he ever got 1000 miles on then, but he said in the twisties they did a fine job.

2010 Limited with some stuff

Quick Reply: Need Grip! Tires ..