Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another RK Fairing Project Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 10:21 PM
scooper321
Road Master
Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by ericl
a lot has to do with the size of the windshield you run, when running fully dressed I use a 15" windshield, I have to look through, it does wonders for the wind noise, the majority of the time it has a 6.5" klockwerks. It takes a lot of power to run with a windshield you look over.
Good point. Something for me to consider. I'm getting the fairing with a 6" shield, but I fully expect to move to something we recurve, like a Klockwerks or similar. I'll figure that out once I get it mounted and ride a bit. I wear glasses or sunglasses. And I wear either a modular or a 3/4 w/ a screen. So looking through a windshield would be just one more piece of glass, so I prefer to look over the top. Maybe an 8 or 10 recurve could give the best combo of wind/sound protection and sight lines. We shall see!

BTW, thanks for the compliments on the Customs. I love my Custom. I absolutely hated the beach bars, though. I didn't feel like I had good control of the bike and I routine smacked my knee with the bars at low speed turning. I guess I just like my hands up and out in front a bit. If I was bold enough, I'd try a drag bar, but I settled for 10.5" mini apes. Love them.

And yeah, I love the low slung look, too. It sets it apart from the other Kings out there. People wonder why the Street Glide is so popular... this is one of the reasons! And yeah, that "Someday Bike" for me is probably going to be a SG. I don't need the low height, but I like it!

Old 04-03-2015, 03:01 PM
MadIrish
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Painting the speaker grills black will be nice.

I wanted to temper what I wrote a bit....there is not doubt that I think the music sounds better with the Alpine amp in the driveway at low or high volumes...little clearer and less distorted....but at speed, there is not much to tell them apart Cruising around town, yeah, I'd say its better.

Let me put it another way....you aren't going wrong with the use of that amp (maybe necessary depending on how that Infinity sounds on its own, I dunno)...there was no negative effect, but I just found the net gain to be unimpressive for me. YMMV, after all.

BTW, I use a 10 or 11" shield. wind noise, though is very, very subjective. I think there is more noise for me with air coming up from under the fairing than above with my riding position.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:36 PM
scooper321
Road Master
Default It Has Shipped!!!

So this thread has been dormant whilst Glenn was working his magic. He shipped me my fairing today and sent me a sneak peak look at the inner fairing. Here it is:

I painted the grills before sending them to him. Once I get it painted (still wavering on whether just outer or both inner and outer) I'll take more pics. Needless to say, I'm anxious!

Old 05-11-2015, 07:31 PM
scooper321
Road Master
Default It Has Arrived!

It has arrived! Shipped from Woody on Thursday; arrived today (Monday):

It's like Christmas in May. Unpacking...

The outer:

The inner:

Looks good! But yep, I need to have it painted. It will have to wait for the weekend to get a test fit and the fairing taken apart for painting. Damn job always gets in the way of the fun...

Old 05-11-2015, 08:20 PM
Twincruiser
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ericl
Don't want to get into this fairing vs that, just want to state That I can go from fully dressed to stripped down and in between in 20 minutes. It's all depends on the ride.

erici, Wow, that's a beautiful RK, made my jaw drop! I love the front wheel, the custom paint is very classy, and the flexibility to change styles is really cool!

scooper321, your new fairing looks great, and the sound system looks top notch. I agree, the inside fairing being painted the same color as the bike adds to the cool factor. Can't wait to see it on your RK.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:01 AM
deltafred
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, I am convinced now...ordering my fairing today!

Old 05-16-2015, 12:51 PM
ScottyPotty
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good, thinking hard on this. Just trying to decide if I really need a radio.

Old 05-17-2015, 05:01 PM
scooper321
Road Master

Originally Posted by ScottyPotty
Looks good, thinking hard on this. Just trying to decide if I really need a radio.
If you don't need a radio, there are way cheaper options for fairings - like Memphis Shades, for example.

Old 05-17-2015, 07:35 PM
G E E
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Scooper. Woodys fairing looks great. The infinity radio are nice as I just installed one myself along with sounds stream 320 and 4 Polk mm521s . Listening to tunes at 80mph isn't problem. Oh thanks for head up on new PVR350 coming out.

Eric. Bike is SWEET. Are your bars bagged nation 10" monkey bars? I'm looking at 14" or 16" at 6-3" my 12" are enough .
Here's couple pics of my 2007 RK Custom

Old 05-17-2015, 09:45 PM
scooper321
Road Master

Latest update: did the "fit test" today. Took longer than it will later, as I was learning how it all fits and being delicate. Still, got it on in under 30 minutes. Here are a few pics. Glad I rocked my bars back previously. Only about an inch clearance, but they clear!

Disassembled the unit after and it's off to the painter tomorrow. Should have it back Thursday night!

Attached Thumbnails Another RK Fairing Project Thread-image-1367905462.jpg   Another RK Fairing Project Thread-image-1373389197.jpg   Another RK Fairing Project Thread-image-2365091001.jpg  

Quick Reply: Another RK Fairing Project Thread