Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interstate riding question

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 04:15 PM
Beerlover2
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interstate riding question

Since I purchased my new 2015 limited I have been riding quite a bit of 2 up riding with my wife. Before I was more of a bar hopper on my Deluxe. My question for you touring guys is that it seems I can ride all day long on the back roads where the speed is maybe 45-50 mph and hardly anyone on the road. This is why I ride. However, once I get on the interstate and cars are pushing me at 70-75 mph, I seem to be able to ride for about 1-1 ½ hrs before I need a break. My bike position wise and seat wise are fine, I just mentally need a break. So is this something you just start building a tolerance for and can put up with interstate riding longer just by doing it more? Or am I just good for the short bursts!
I ask because the plan is for us to continue taking longer and longer trips. We love it but I read all the time how guys are going 5-6 hours at a time.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:19 PM
Tedjay
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got used to the interstates over time. After some experience, I found it to be less stressful and myself less tense. I felt more relaxed and didn't get that tired feeling. That being said, I still take a break every 2 hours at the max just to get off the bike and stretch.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:20 PM
howitzer88
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Its conditioning. I rode to Sturgis on my Dyna in 2012 and I had to "warm up" to riding 700-800 interstate miles in one day. Are you feeling any pain or physical discomfort?

Old 04-01-2015, 04:22 PM
Afdharley
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's like anything new you learn, it takes time. It's a new experience for you and between the speed and the extra traffic you are getting sensory overload and mentally fatiguing.

You have the right idea, take progressively longer trips to build up stamina. You'll be riding cross country before you know it.

Word of caution tho.........go at your own pace. Don't let someone rush you into a situation you're not ready for.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:23 PM
Duc
Road Captain
Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

IH's are like cities if you avoid them it is nerve racking when you cannot. We live remote-ish and I avoid both if at all possible, when we do have to we do and I hate every second of it. Add a day or two to your trip and avoid them, lots of great side roads to see. Take a break every 120 even if your tank allows more, makes for an easier and more enjoyable trip/day.
JMO
Clif

Last edited by Duc; 04-01-2015 at 04:32 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:27 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,720 Likes on 1,546 Posts

I can't think of anyone that rides straight out 5-6 hours at a time.
Might put 12-14 hours in the saddle in a full day but I always take a break from anywhere from 80 to 125 miles.

I once rode a 6 gallon/full tank of gas for 200 and something miles but it's just not fun doing that. Took a full 30 minutes just to start feeling blood in my feet after.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:30 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Just get yourself a doo-rag, some fingerless gloves and a skull mask....Then flip off all of the cars that get within 100 feet of you and pull your pistol out and wave it at dump trucks.

Everyone will be so afraid of your badassedness that they will stay way far away from you, thus relieving you of the stress of close proximity to traffic and reducing fatigue.

No need to thank me for this advice....I'm just a natural born problem solver.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:48 PM
RevBlk
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 62 Posts

Greezy a demonstration video of that technique would go viral in seconds.

OP ride at your own time. I like riding with smokers especially when I smoked. Not one off them can go more than 90 mins without stopping and most are looking after 45. I just ask that they stop somewhere I can have a look around.

It's why I ride a bike to get away from me the rat race. Sure I have had to some 14 hour days getting to weddings funerals and such but usually 8 is the max with lots of breaks.

4 wheels moves the body. 2 wheels moves the soul!

Old 04-01-2015, 04:48 PM
1plumr1
Road Warrior
Received 410 Likes on 219 Posts

I don't mind freeways if I have too. It's a point A to point B ride @ 70-80 depending on where you live. Lot easier if you are not trying to be the fastest on the road, but not being passed by everyone either. You'll get used to it.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:55 PM
utrvp
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMHO I think it is because you are more relaxed on the back roads. I feel the same way but sometimes you just got to hit the interstates. For instance I like riding coast to coast from where I live in Delaware. The thing is the places I want to ride most are from when I hit the east side of the Rockies to the Pacific coast. To do this in the time I have for the trip and to have as much time as possible riding the roads I want to ride from the Rockies to the Pacific, riding the interstates to at least mid Kansas is a must. Like you I can't relax around most cities and usually take a break once they are behind me. On the other hand once away from the cities the interstates can be fairly good riding. The speed is less stressful and through the Eastern mountains and plains they can be very scenic.

Quick Reply: Interstate riding question