Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Easiest way to pull rear wheel

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 12:34 PM
Sparkee...
Road Master
Received 226 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by beary
Are you saying that the swing arm can be moved up and down by adding and bleeding the air in the shocks? I have never heard this technique before.

Beary
I didn't think this was possible either. At least on my bike the air shocks are fully extended as soon as I lift the bike off the floor whether there is 30psi or 0psi in the shocks. Just ran out to the garage and checked.

Only thing I can add to the tips here is to secure your bike to the jack. You are changing the center of gravity on the bike when the back tire comes off. I normally set my jack so both tires come off the floor at the same time. When removing the rear tire I set the jack up so the front wheel comes off the floor first. This makes the rear of the bike a little heavier to allow for the loss of the weight of the rear wheel when it comes off.

Old 04-03-2015, 01:15 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Before the dedicated bike lift was invented my Harley dealer used a trolley jack for every job that needed lifting the bike. I've seen a shovel dresser with no wheels balanced on one! I have used a small scissor jack on my Harleys since the '70s. My current bike 'lift' only fits under the bike frame, so the technique Kevin of Hog Pro described works fine.

Old 04-03-2015, 01:21 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by beary
Are you saying that the swing arm can be moved up and down by adding and bleeding the air in the shocks? I have never heard this technique before.

Beary
that's exactly what happens. I have the harley air pump, and just adding or subtracting a few pounds of air raises or lowers the swing arm so you can clear the saddle bag mounts.

But I've always had trouble re-installing along with the rear caliper, and Guntoter's post above taught me something that I will try the next time my rear wheel comes off. Adding or subtracting air should still move the swingarm even with one shock disconnected.

Last edited by MNPGRider; 04-03-2015 at 01:34 PM.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:57 PM
vistavette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by JMC22
Wouldn't the "Easiest way" be to pay someone else to do it?....
I agree - a local shop will install a new tire for $40. Well worth it

Old 04-03-2015, 04:14 PM
treetop777
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't read the whole tread but i wondered how people started to give answers when the OP didn't list the bike he has?? i just did this on my '09 street glide and it required me to unbolt the saddle bag support before i could pull the axle out.

i was going to contribute with that little comment but when i looked i couldn't tell what bike the OP has..is it the one in the one in the signature or maybe the one in the avatar? Or should i go into his profile??

Old 04-03-2015, 04:42 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,290 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Originally Posted by vistavette
I agree - a local shop will install a new tire for $40. Well worth it
True but some of us do enjoy doing it. $40 is a nice bottle of Tequila or some good beer.

Old 04-03-2015, 05:42 PM
jerryt87
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Geezer glider
Some people would rather put more gas in their tank for riding then give it to the dealerships
Plus I know its done right then.

The following users liked this post:
Goose_NC (05-25-2016)
Old 04-03-2015, 06:53 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by treetop777
I didn't read the whole tread but i wondered how people started to give answers when the OP didn't list the bike he has?? i just did this on my '09 street glide and it required me to unbolt the saddle bag support before i could pull the axle out.

i was going to contribute with that little comment but when i looked i couldn't tell what bike the OP has..is it the one in the one in the signature or maybe the one in the avatar? Or should i go into his profile??

Bingo!

Click on his HD Forum handle, beary. Then click on his public profile. WA-LA ! He has two Road Kings, and a Street Glide, which have exactly the same rear end as any tour model including your Street Glide. And his softail isn't in the picture. So I guess we all make assumptions, being this thread is in the touring models forum.

And no, you don't have to unbolt your saddle bag support to get the axle out. It ain't rocket science,,,, just take a step back and think it through. Do you really think a Harley tech picks apart the rear end of your bike just to get an axle out and drop off a rear wheel?

Old 05-25-2016, 08:38 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,205 Likes on 1,966 Posts

I have rolled the bike onto the crash bars and removed the rear tire. But that was along side the road with no lift or anything for 30 miles. That's why I dislike spoked wheels with tubes in tires.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:17 AM
shootist
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't forget the two bolts on the brake that separate it from the bracket.

Quick Reply: Easiest way to pull rear wheel