Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cruise control for flhp road kings

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 06:21 PM
hettinga2
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cruise control for flhp road kings

just thought i would pass this on, i found a thread for adding cruise control using factory cop switches for police bikes on retired police bikes forum and did it to my 2013 flhp and it works perfect. If anyone is interested i will post all the info on the install. factory cruise for under 30 bucks! its alot of typing so im not posting unless some one wants the info.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:23 PM
hettinga2
Advanced
Old 04-09-2015, 09:16 PM
jwk784
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would love to see that!

Old 04-10-2015, 07:40 AM
hettinga2
Advanced

JWK784. were you able to pull up the link?

Old 04-10-2015, 07:50 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by hettinga2
JWK784. were you able to pull up the link?
The link takes you to the page, where you must sign in to see anything.
So, it isn't going to do most users any good.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:44 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 880 Posts

Originally Posted by hettinga2
...its alot of typing so im not posting unless some one wants the info.
you can always copy and paste it

Old 04-13-2015, 12:19 PM
SOcRatEs
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation Outside copy from link- Factory cruise for $85 on 2008 and later models

Be aware this may be incomplete, $30 maybe incorrect- just posting to get info on hdforum...
I wanted factory cruise on my 2010 Road King Police but didn't want to change out the switch gear. I figured I could use the siren on/off switch and the siren momentary switch which is in the perfect position.

Dave at Cruisemount is very helpful. He sent me three color coded wires with the pins for inserting into the ECU and more importantly his excellent instructions for a total of $30 shipped.

The installation is super easy using the Cruisemount instructions. All you need to do is remove the seat to get to the ECU and the 18 pin siren plug (assuming your bike has the siren box removed). You do not have to get into the headlight nacel or remove the tank.

I put a test light on the siren plug pins and identified the on off wire with 12v in the on position and the wire that goes to 12v when the siren momentary switch is pushed. I used simple wire taps on these with the Cruisemount wires. I don't have a switch for the resume/accel wire and probably won't install one. I did install the resume/accel wire into the ECU in case I change my mind later. Pingel makes a nice chrome handlebar mount switch which would be perfect for a resume/accel switch (part no. 0616-0020). There is also a pin that has constant 12v ignition power that would be good for adding a resume/accel switch or electrical farkles.

It is simple and only took me about 20 minutes to get the wires into the ECU and tap into the two siren wires.

I took the bike to the dealer today and had the cruise enabled in the software for $55. My cruise works perfect and I have a fully functioning cruise light in the speedo cluster.
The 18 pin siren plug (not all 18 slots have pins) is in the photo below the three ECU wires which are in my hand. I should have taken a good photo of the plug but forgot. It has a screw in the middle of it which I assume screwed into the sire brain box.

Question: Great info...

So now you just have a simple set & cancel switch right.? Or does your siren on/off switch activate the cruise and the pull up on the horn set the cruise speed?

Sounds like your friend could package this idea and sell a few to us folks. I'm thinking only the wiring instructions... then you could mount any switch, anywhere. I could put a toggle on/off on the fairing along with a push set momentary button... Hmmm....

Answer: The siren on/off switch turns the cruise on or off. Not really needed as I keep the cruise on all the time anyway. You could tap the on/off wire from the ECU to a constant 12v ignition source if you wanted to skip having an on/off switch.

My siren button sets the cruise control and also decelerates the bike one mph each time it is pressed or continues to decelerate if it is held down. My horn button honks the horn.

I did not wire up the resume/accelerate wire because I wanted a clean look without an aftermarket switch. I was tempted to rewire the horn switch for resume/accelerate and add a different switch for the horn but my better judgment took over.

Cruise cancels with either brake, clutch or rolling throttle forward just like a civilian model. Cruise light is red when cruise is on but not set or green when set just like a civilian model.

I rode a couple hundred miles this morning and didn't find myself caring that I don't have a resume/accel switch.

He does. Go to www.cruisemount.com

You need to insert three wires into the ECU that are missing on Police bikes (on/off wire, set/decel wire & resume/accel wire). The wires have the proper pins crimped onto the end. If you had the pins and crimp tool you could make you own.

I got an answer from Cruisemount.

I asked for their 3 wire direct wire cruise kit for Police Bikes.??? They said they had no such thing and pointed me to their complete package. ???

I think he would rather sell the complete package as it is more profitable. I would call him and tell him that you know Brian in Kansas City and would like the same special order as me. I wouldn't mention that I posted it on the forum.

My order had three different colored wires (about 36" each) that had the ECU pins crimped on the end. Also received his instructions.

Make sure he knows you have a 2009 throttle by wire model. Also understand that I asked him just to provide the three wires and instructions. He does not provide support for using the Police switches. That was my idea. His Police options are to either use the HD cruise control kit or switches that he provides.

More:
Been looking at wiring diagrams, and was wondering if anyone could confirm the following to give a Police bike cruise control for nothing more than a couple of wire splices and having the stealer enable Cruise in the ECU.

This reuses the Siren on/off as a Cruise on/off, and reuses the momentary Siren button (Whoop) as the set speed/coast button. It does not hook up the resume/accel function.

What I believe to be true:
On the ECU harness there is a Red-Grn wire that goes to Pin 15 of the interconnect harness. This turns on the cruise control without setting a speed (the dealer has to have already enabled Cruise in the ECU). You connect this to the Pink-Blk wire (Pin 2F) of the Siren harness connector.

On the ECU harness there is a Blu-Blk wire that goes to Pin 16 of the interconnect harness. This is the set/coast trigger. You connect it to the Tan-Blk wire (Pin 1F) of the Siren harness connector.

When done, you would turn on the "Siren" to turn on the cruise control, and you would momentarily hit the siren yelp switch (inner horn push) to set or un-set a speed. The indicator lights (also used for EIMTS) should work as expected.

Anyone care to confirm?

Old 11-29-2015, 10:32 PM
Eggman1
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I like. Seems like a worthwhile mod. Thanks for the repost.