Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended HD Factory Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 01:59 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,189 Likes on 2,456 Posts

Originally Posted by Dicky
I bought the 5 year extended on my 2015 SG. The fact that it runs concurrently is BS! It should start when the factory one expires... I've been searching for class action lawsuits about this all day... It's and extension of your factory warranty... I'll be cancelling mine, and purchase it with my refund when the two year expires. The factory is for unlimited mileage, so there are no worries there.
you aren't really understanding what it is you have. yes, it runs concurrent with the factory warranty for the first 2 years. that means that if you have a breakdown, then the towing will cover towing it to the dealer (not part of your factory warranty). if you're 100 miles from home, you get lodging and meals covered (also not part of the factory warranty), and if you get a nail in your tire or damage a wheel by hitting a pothole, you get that replaced (again, not part of the factory warranty).

or would you rather wait for the factory warranty to end before you get those 'perks' even though you bought the warranty the same time you bought your bike?

Old 09-03-2015, 02:10 PM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Extended HD Factory Warranty

Originally Posted by Dicky
I bought the 5 year extended on my 2015 SG. The fact that it runs concurrently is BS! It should start when the factory one expires... I've been searching for class action lawsuits about this all day... It's and extension of your factory warranty... I'll be cancelling mine, and purchase it with my refund when the two year expires. The factory is for unlimited mileage, so there are no worries there.
The ESP includes benefits the warranty does not (I.e. Reimbursement for hotels, etc). During the time they run concurrent, your warranty will be used for covered breakdowns - after warranty expires the full benefits of the ESP kick in. They are priced accordingly and it is spelled out as such in the ESP documentation did you read it before buying it? FYI you can purchase a 7 year plan that is 2+5.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:18 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
you aren't really understanding what it is you have. yes, it runs concurrent with the factory warranty for the first 2 years. that means that if you have a breakdown, then the towing will cover towing it to the dealer (not part of your factory warranty). if you're 100 miles from home, you get lodging and meals covered (also not part of the factory warranty), and if you get a nail in your tire or damage a wheel by hitting a pothole, you get that replaced (again, not part of the factory warranty).

or would you rather wait for the factory warranty to end before you get those 'perks' even though you bought the warranty the same time you bought your bike?
Good points and well detailed.

Some of these benefits may be included with a hog or other roadside membership and/or as part of an insurance policy.

Up to each rider to spread out all their paperwork and figure out what is covered, buy who and avoid paying for duplicate services from various entities.

Mike

Old 09-04-2015, 10:30 PM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought the 5 year extended on my 2015 SG. The fact that it runs concurrently is BS! It should start when the factory one expires... I've been searching for class action lawsuits about this all day... It's an extension of your factory warranty... I'll be cancelling mine, and purchase it with my refund when the two year expires. The factory is for unlimited mileage, so there are no worries there.
No, it is not.

The ESP the MOCO sells is an Extended Service Plan. It covers items the standard warranty does not.

Sounds like you didn't know what you were buying and now you're not happy. Take time to read it first before singing on the dotted line.

Old 09-05-2015, 01:14 AM
Highwayman-AL
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My thoughts, if you ride under 10,000 miles a year, and have a some money set aside to cover a pot hole damage, hotel, car rental if you are on a trip then save your money.

I ride 18-20k a year, and about twice a year take a little longer trip over around 1,000 miles somewhere.

I also use my bike on my job going to customers houses often times 100+ away from home.

For me the peace of mind is worth it. It is like insurance, if I put my premiums in the bank all those years I pay them then self insure the couple of times i needed it then maybe I will be money ahead, unfortunately you have to be ahead of that ball before starting to play. For me life is too short to wait and I wanted to play so I bought the ESP.

I hope I never need it like having insurance, but knowing I have it means I will be able to ride again without a huge financial setback to replace something expensive.

Only you can decide, how many miles will you ride, how far from home you will travel and how much reserve money can you afford if something should happen. Then you have the right answer for you if you should or should not buy the plan.

Old 09-05-2015, 04:24 AM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

Some things to think about, if you're interested in an ESP:

The price IS negotiable. You may have to go on the internet and purchase out of state, but you will save $$.

If you plan to keep the bike for a long time & you do put a few miles per year on it, consider buying less than the 7 year plan. Purchase 3 or 4 additional years (which dealers call a 5 or 6 plan), so you'll have less than 75k miles on it at renewal time. Then you can buy an additional 5 years at renewal time. An additional 1 or 2 years is not worth the price. An additional 3 years is iffy, imo. 4 or 5 is your decision price wise.

If you trade or sell your bike, remember to cancel the warranty and get some $$ back.

If the plan covers the electronics, it may be worth it.

If you're like me, put a lot of miles on your bike per year, and the last 5 bikes you purchased were the perfect bike & going to be the last bike you ever bought (yeah right!), you may want to consider the plan that Jim Palmer sells at Boardtrack H-D (formally Kutter H-D). Its renewal policy is by age, not miles. If the bike is up to 12 years old, its eligible for renewal. It also has some other features that may make it more desirable than the MoCo's endorsed plan. That again, would be your decision.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:46 AM
Sierra977
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,988 Likes on 2,065 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytona Fat Boy
Some things to think about, if you're interested in an ESP:

The price IS negotiable. You may have to go on the internet and purchase out of state, but you will save $$.

If you plan to keep the bike for a long time & you do put a few miles per year on it, consider buying less than the 7 year plan. Purchase 3 or 4 additional years (which dealers call a 5 or 6 plan), so you'll have less than 75k miles on it at renewal time. Then you can buy an additional 5 years at renewal time. An additional 1 or 2 years is not worth the price. An additional 3 years is iffy, imo. 4 or 5 is your decision price wise.

If you trade or sell your bike, remember to cancel the warranty and get some $$ back.

If the plan covers the electronics, it may be worth it.

If you're like me, put a lot of miles on your bike per year, and the last 5 bikes you purchased were the perfect bike & going to be the last bike you ever bought (yeah right!), you may want to consider the plan that Jim Palmer sells at Boardtrack H-D (formally Kutter H-D). Its renewal policy is by age, not miles. If the bike is up to 12 years old, its eligible for renewal. It also has some other features that may make it more desirable than the MoCo's endorsed plan. That again, would be your decision.
Play the game right and you can get a total of SIXTEEN YEARS factory and ESP warranty coverage. Know where the renewal windows are.

ETA barring some unforseen development like good hybrid-powered motor, I plan on keeping the 2014 120R SGS that long. It may be my last.

Last edited by Sierra977; 09-05-2015 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:04 AM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts

I usually don't buy an extended service plan on anything, but we bought a new to us 1 year old car with about 10000 miles left of the factory waranty. I had a weak moment when doing the paperwork, and bought an extended waratty.

So far the purchase is paying off, the paint on the hood is bubbling from underneath and dodge would not cover it under the bumper to bumper. I filed a claim with the waranty company, and they are going to take care of it, and take on the fight with dodge on why they won't take care of it.

Next bike I buy, I will probably buy the ESP, more so for piece of mind when I travel. If something were to go wrong on a long trip, I won't need to worry about funding a repair on the road.

Old 10-04-2015, 11:30 AM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

[QUOTE=Daytona Fat Boy; you may want to consider the plan that Jim Palmer sells at Boardtrack H-D (formally Kutter H-D). Its renewal policy is by age, not miles. If the bike is up to 12 years old, its eligible for renewal. [/QUOTE]

You say NOT Miles ?? Not so - bike has to be UNDER 75K = I got my second 3 year warranty at 74K - and it was through Jim

I am in CA - Just sold an Inner fairing to a guy from Santa Cruz, CA - While he was here, got to talking about ESP's He told me he was on a trip and had to stop at Beaumont, TX HD for a service - talking to the SM - learned about the 75K cut off - He was at 74,500 - went in that day and bought the next and last 3 years ESP

I am now trying to learn about the ESP's I believe the one Jim sells is somewhat different than most other HD Dealers???? anyone have any 'real' info on that??

Old 10-04-2015, 12:38 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,189 Likes on 2,456 Posts

contact jim directly and he'll be able to give you all the answers you need. i've heard (on here) from a couple of folks that have bought the cornerstone warranty and they are real happy with it. no problems with getting the dealer to accept it and it also has no deductible. as far as mileage/time requirements, i have no idea.

Quick Reply: Extended HD Factory Warranty