Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended HD Factory Warranty

Old 04-11-2015, 10:36 AM
mjlevi
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended HD Factory Warranty

Hey.. trying to wheel and deal for a 2015 Road Glide Special.. is there really any benefit to obtaining the extended 7 year warranty?.. or is this just extra money the Dealer is trying to gain.. i understand you get 2 years for a new purchase.. Im seeking opinions...

Old 04-11-2015, 11:16 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 69,817 Likes on 21,296 Posts

If you put a substantial amount of miles on, perhaps?
If you are just a regular putter(3-5 K per year) and don't take a lot of extended trips then probably not.

Old 04-11-2015, 12:27 PM
touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,658 Likes on 945 Posts

Same thing if you put the miles on something like about 15000 a year do it. Next thing its a total of 5 years not seven.

Old 04-11-2015, 01:03 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

If you do, get the tire and wheel warranty also.

Old 04-11-2015, 03:30 PM
Colorido
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't buy it now. You can buy it at any point before the 2 year manufacturer warranty runs out. Calculate how much it will cost you to buy it and divide by 23. Put that amount in the bank every month for the next two years.

If you're riding a lot of miles and the bike has even minor issues popping up every so often, use the money and buy the extended warranty before the standard one expires.

If your bike hasn't had any issues in the first two years, keep the money in the bank and use it to pay for any repair you might ever need to make.

If the bike has LOTS of issues in the first 2 years, trade it in when the warranty expires, if you can.

If you buy it now, you may find the bike to be problem-free and never, ever need it.

Old 04-11-2015, 03:38 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Colorido
Don't buy it now. You can buy it at any point before the 2 year manufacturer warranty runs out. Calculate how much it will cost you to buy it and divide by 23. Put that amount in the bank every month for the next two years.

If you're riding a lot of miles and the bike has even minor issues popping up every so often, use the money and buy the extended warranty before the standard one expires.

If your bike hasn't had any issues in the first two years, keep the money in the bank and use it to pay for any repair you might ever need to make.

If the bike has LOTS of issues in the first 2 years, trade it in when the warranty expires, if you can.

If you buy it now, you may find the bike to be problem-free and never, ever need it.
Excellent plan, if a man has enough discipline to do that. I know I don't....

Old 04-11-2015, 04:18 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Its not an extended warranty. Its an extended service plan. If you buy one, get it from Jim Palmer at kutter hd. Best price you will find.

Old 04-11-2015, 04:24 PM
load97
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
Excellent plan, if a man has enough discipline to do that. I know I don't....
Sounds like you've got some personal issues to work out..

But, not much discipline here either.

Old 04-11-2015, 05:47 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

Originally Posted by touchdown
Same thing if you put the miles on something like about 15000 a year do it. Next thing its a total of 5 years not seven.
on a new bike, it can go as far as 7. though the first 2 years run concurrently with the factory warranty. but the wheel and tire coverage starts immediately, and the towing/trip interruption also.

Originally Posted by Lowcountry Joe
Its not an extended warranty. Its an extended service plan. If you buy one, get it from Jim Palmer at kutter hd. Best price you will find.
jim can no longer sell out of his region

Old 04-12-2015, 08:20 AM
Ride2Glide
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just purchased a 215 RGS and opted out of the extended warranty initially but will purchase it when the factory warranty is nearing the end. I ride about 10K miles a year so for me its a no brainer. When you consider the advanced electronics replacement costs (like the Boom! Infotainment, ABS, etc) it just makes sense. Talk with your dealer about those "what if" questions. I also know guys who have hit potholes up here in the Northeast that toasted their wheels so the tire/wheel addition is a plus.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Extended HD Factory Warranty