Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

He lived...

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 08:10 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 629 Likes on 455 Posts

"I'll see if can find it, but somewhere I read an article about how we perceive distances and that the human brain can better calculated distance and speed of something coming towards them when there are three points of light vs. just one. "

More light will more easily draw attention. Two or more points of light is primarily for night when the actual vehicle can't be seen. Unfortunately, two points of light is not fool proof. Your brain will make an assumption on the size of the object. If the object is really bigger than you believe, it will seem closer than it actually is. If it is smaller than you believe, it will be closer than you believe it is. If you see the two lights on the back of a Road Glide but believe it is an automobile far in the distance, you might run right up on it before you recognize your error and depending on closure rate, it might be too late to correct.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:47 AM
THE PEG
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Glad he lived. Beware of the cage. Ride safe.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:53 AM
miner999r
Road Captain
Received 214 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by KCFLHRC
You gotta ride smart. And never, ever, spend any amount of time in a driver's blind spot or beside them for that matter. Is that an excuse for what happened? Nope, just a reminder.
I agree with this. I see a lot of drivers (mostly cars) with cruise control set and going in formation for a long time, even with heavy trucks.

This in my opinion is very dangerous. When I come to a traffic clot on the road I either decide I can get through as quickly as possible or hang back and wait for a safe opportunity.

Heavy trucks i pass as fast as possible, imagine a blow out and a chunk of road alligator coming at you! Even in a car not a pleasant thought. I had a car pass me one time when I was riding. The car tire blew right beside me and that really hurt.

Drivers and cell phones. Need major fines - they all have gps tracking should be a piece of cake to prosecute. My cousin in Germany shut his cell off and locked it in the glove box. I ask why. He says you don't want to get caught with it as the fine would work out to be around $7,000 at the currency exchange rate.

Old 04-19-2015, 03:42 PM
jammerx
Stellar HDF Member
Received 327 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by dodger413
does Virginia have a helmet law ? i'm betting does.
Yes there is a helmet law in Virginia

Old 04-19-2015, 04:28 PM
jerryt87
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by miner999r

Drivers and cell phones. Need major fines - they all have gps tracking should be a piece of cake to prosecute. My cousin in Germany shut his cell off and locked it in the glove box. I ask why. He says you don't want to get caught with it as the fine would work out to be around $7,000 at the currency exchange rate.
Agreed. This needs to happen in all 50 states. (Or 57 if you go by Obama's rule)

Old 04-19-2015, 04:36 PM
scooterbum46
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm not so sure the driving lights are totally such a good thing - a fast glance from a driver rolling up to an intersection may register two lights, and from the spacing between them, have their depth perception register that the vehicle approaching is farther away than it actuall is. I've had it happen........