Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

to trade or build...that is the question

Old 04-18-2015, 01:07 AM
gartec81
Grand HDF Member
Received 835 Likes on 370 Posts
Default to trade or build...that is the question

ok. so 2004 road king here, semi converted to road glide...ish

tc88 with cheapo megaphone slip ons...stock otherwise on motor
ebay road glide fairing with ghost fairing brackets
dyna street bob bars
21 spoke and a 18 spoke going on shortly
ebay vented lowers
real police hard bags
mustang seat and rear passenger too

went by the dealer to get my extra keys i ordered and started looking at the road glide special. brand new bike, all the gizmos you need, bigger motor, new frame bla bla bla.

they offered me 10 for my bike. i would finance 13k. my question is this. if i fully upgraded my bike with the following, sst111 engine or equivalent, upgrade rear shocks, do something to freshen up the front forks, get a frame brace, paint and stereo, could i be out cheaper than just trading for a new bike.

and if i built my 04, would the new bike still out preform/handle my 04. is it really that much of a difference?

lastly my bike is leaking oil from the case it seems, i dont know for sure but my right side frame under engine has oil collecting and there is oil sweat all over the case, isnt sitting well with me at all, thats what really sparked all this

Old 04-18-2015, 02:55 AM
MIKE93SVT
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

a few more questions to ask yourself:

if I had the 13k in the bank, would I still do it? payments aren't necessarily a bad thing. but they make it easier to give up the money. doesn't seem like as much

are you going to install the motor and other mods on the old bike? that changes everything when it comes to cost

lastly. will your bike be worth the extra 7-10k you invest into it? the simple answer is no. even with a bigger motor and other stuff, an 04 king with police bags, ebay fairing, KO exhaust isn't worth the 15-18k you're looking to have into it.

I would enjoy the bike you have and leave it alone. fix the oil leak which is probably base gasket or cam cover. can do cams, or something for more power.

or buy the new one if that's what you really want. that's all that matters

mike

Old 04-18-2015, 03:28 AM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 215 Posts

trade it! nothing you are gonna do is gonna make it as nice as the new Rushmore bikes...

Old 04-18-2015, 07:28 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

$10k in trade is a good deal. More than your bike is worth as is (maybe even after ya do the mods). But $13k is still a lot of bucks. The new bikes are really nice but think about what ya would want/need to add to make it yours. There are lots of nice '09 up bikes out there that can be had at good prices...

Old 04-18-2015, 07:36 AM
Pix
Road Master
Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Trade it...dont forget the extra grand to upgrade the cam shoes in the old motor.

Old 04-18-2015, 07:54 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

I'd keep the old one and build the motor...It'll have more power and be more fun than the new bike.
I hate fuel injected bikes and will go to great lengths to keep my carb.
I'm not a stereo on a motorcycle kind of guy either....The only music I wanna hear is coming out of the pipe.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:03 AM
LowRider68
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Greezey Rider
I'd keep the old one and build the motor...It'll have more power and be more fun than the new bike.
I hate fuel injected bikes and will go to great lengths to keep my carb.
I'm not a stereo on a motorcycle kind of guy either....The only music I wanna hear is coming out of the pipe.

I finally agree with Greezey and its nice to see you post a non-sarcastic post. I thought about adding a stereo to my Deluxe, but I would rather hear my exhaust note.

Why do you go to great lengths to keep a carb'd bike?

Old 04-18-2015, 08:18 AM
SouthpawHD
Extreme HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Also remember, a new bike is gonna cost you at least $1-2k more - exhaust, handlebars, seat, taller windshield, or whatever else you add on.

I've contemplated the new RG once or twice myself, but those "necessary" add-ons make it easy for me to say no.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:22 AM
Highranger
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree ,keep the old bike and purchase the new Rushmore --- what a difference between my 2000 to the 14
Good luck.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:49 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

No matter how much you put in your bike, it will never be worth more than it is today.

Beary

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: to trade or build...that is the question