Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New '15 FLHR Owner Questions

Old 04-19-2015, 10:46 AM
polbit
Tourer
Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts
Default New '15 FLHR Owner Questions

My first air-cooled Harley! Just got it yesterday after trading in a Night Rod Special...

Loving the bike so far, put over 100 miles already before some major storms moved in last night. I already came up with a list of questions, bear with me if these are obvious but I'm totally new to this type of a bike (sportbikes for 25 years prior to the V-Rod...)

1. The heel shifter - is there a way to do it smoothly?? I know I haven't had it for a long time, but I can't seem to figure out how to make it smooth. Toe shifter I can make it smooth no problem, so I know it's not the transmission...

2. On my NRS the battery tender connector was sticking out the front, so I got used to just hooking it up whenever I parked it. Now it looks like I have to take the saddlebag off, then the panel off. Is there a magic spot I can route the connector through that I'm missing?

3. What's the easiest way to hook up a 12V DC socket to the aux switch? Is there a popular location?

4. Any place to get a PDF version of the service manual for cheap, or does anyone have a copy? I found a paper version for $48 so I'll do that if PDF is not available, I just don't want to wait so long

Thanks!

Old 04-19-2015, 11:54 AM
RCCola45
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I have the 2013 version and love it so far ... just been getting my feet wet like you are with changing it up. I for one removed the heel shifter ... always got in my way and never used it.

On mine at least ... the dealer must of installed a cable coming off the battery ... on brake side back near side cover ... I charged up battery this spring using that ... They sell the pony tail like that at most auto joints and would be easy enough to you to hook up.

I never had a need for 12v dc socket but sounds like it might be something nice to have just in case.

I just ordered service manual from Kutter HD ... it was 48. Its a thick sucker!!!

Timm

Old 04-19-2015, 11:55 AM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 238 Posts

Congrats on your new King.
#2. is the only thing I can help with. I just moved the wires around and moved it to the Frame just under the front of the seat. There is a small cut out in the frame by the plug wire it sticks out about 2" and unless you bend down up close to try to find, it's hard to see. Makes the hook up easy. #1. First thing I do is take the heel shifter off on my bikes, I like a lot of room to ,move my feet around so I'm not much help on that and #3 and #4. I hope you love your King as much as I love mine.

Last edited by GPHDXLC; 04-19-2015 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:15 PM
Sparkee...
Road Master
Received 226 Likes on 142 Posts

The shifters were the first adjustment I made on my new bike. They were set high probably to fold up the footboard for shipping. The heel shifter was way too high which required me to lift my foot off the board. Before writing off the heel shifter set it up and give it a try.

I like the heel close to the footboard and just enough room to fit my boot under the toe shifter. First make coarse adjustments by moving the levers on the splines. Then fine tune it with the shifter linkage. Make sure the heel adjuster does not touch the footboard.

Make sure you use some blue loctite on the shift lever bolts once you are done.

Last edited by Sparkee...; 04-19-2015 at 12:16 PM. Reason: spellun
Old 04-19-2015, 03:10 PM
polbit
Tourer

Just got back from a 100 mile ride, man it's hard to keep it under 3,500rpm Wish I rode the bike before buying the Night Rod last year, would have saved me some money! this is exactly the bike I want for 80% of my riding. Best bike I've had in a long time, can't wipe the grin off my face after "just" cruising.

GPHDXLC, thanks for the tip, I'll look for the space to put the plug through. I figured there had to be something

Have been thinking about just removing the heel shifter, but I'm going to give it one more try after adjusting it.

Old 04-19-2015, 03:36 PM
oakmossy
Road Warrior
Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

heal shifter works smooth as silk. Just adjust to your liking. For finding neutral tap lightly (heal) will go right in ( after a little practice, and after a little brake in). Once used to heal toe shifter, probably will not go back ( anyway my experience).
rock on. enjoy
I never found a PDF shop manual, so I just bought a hard copy. Goes by year so get the right year. Kutter and other discount shops will give a discount.

Old 04-19-2015, 03:41 PM
RK_2014
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats on the new bike

Personally I like the heel/toe shifter and what I find out for smooth shifting is hitting the right rpm for the shift but that is for any shift up or down heel or no heel

you got good guidance for 2/3

As for the manual get the paper copy - I knnow its old school but works - when I installed heated grips on my bike a few weeks so ago I had sections I needed for quick reference tabbed so I could move back and forth a pdf version would have been cumbersome and time consuming for what I needed to do.

Plus the manual pays for its self the first time you use it

Old 04-19-2015, 03:42 PM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 502 Likes on 246 Posts

The CD and similar pirated manuals are illegal to sell. Harley has a copyright on their manuals. You will not find one, buy the Harley paper one. If you like you can take it to Staples etc and get them to punch it as a loose leaf book if you so desire. On my Road King I run the tender cable out of the bottom of the side cover and zip tie it to the saddlebag support rail. Easy to get to.

Old 04-19-2015, 03:44 PM
RK_2014
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunnysgt
The CD and similar pirated manuals are illegal to sell. Harley has a copyright on their manuals. You will not find one, buy the Harley paper one. If you like you can take it to Staples etc and get them to punch it as a loose leaf book if you so desire. On my Road King I run the tender cable out of the bottom of the side cover and zip tie it to the saddlebag support rail. Easy to get to.
Fully support what the Gunny just said - perfect advise

Old 04-19-2015, 03:56 PM
polbit
Tourer

Yeah, I placed the order for the paper copy, I never buy a bike without it. Just getting tired of collecting so many service manuals that cost a pretty penny, but I'm definitely planning on keeping the RK for a while, so no biggie.

As far as shifting in general, it definitely sounds clunky now no matter how I shift. Much louder/clunkier than the NRS. I figured it's just the nature of the beast, and I'm sure certain oils can help. Wasn't going to worry about it.

I have my left ankle fused (courtesy of a minivan 15 years ago deciding to pass a car on a shoulder where I was sitting on my bike, stopped...), so I might have more problem with the heel shifter, as my ankle mobility is limited. We will see, I'll be playing with all adjustments today, need to move the controls a bit too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New '15 FLHR Owner Questions