Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trailer versus loading down the bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 03:07 PM
motolocopat
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hate the idea of dragging a trailer around on a motorcycle. Plus the cost of the trailer and then you say you'd have to pay storage?? NO WAY. Spend the money on light weight camping gear. Shouldn't need more than one saddlebag for your gear. The OL gets one+ and the rest for the camping. Take off with two shirts, two pairs pants and a pair of shorts. If wifey has to have more crap then pack up a box of it and ship it ahead to a place you know you will be stopping at. You can ship stuff back at that point for not much$$ or on to another spot.

Old 04-22-2015, 03:21 PM
ctbarbarian
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems like the biggest thing I pack is a Cabelas
foam sleeping mat (very comfortable). I have plenty of room if I could
get a nice reliable blow up kind.
Any suggestions that don't leak after 2 hours?

Old 04-22-2015, 04:06 PM
yiride
Advanced
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I pulled a trailer for a few years . Probably about half of the stuff I brought never got out of the trailer . The biggest issue with the trailer is it took away all of the things I like best about biking, agility,speed and the immediacy. Having to plan all manouevers a little bit ahead of time became a bit of a pain in the butt . My solution was I kept the hitch and made a rack for it . Tent went there,all other gear is quality backpacking gear . For those looking for a small mattress look to an outdoor store or outfitter for a company calle Thermarest . It self inflates ,comes in various sizes and packs very small.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:24 PM
Sonia
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try

www.hitchdoc.com for the motorcycle hitch

Old 04-22-2015, 07:41 PM
gusotto
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

I took the Ultra 2,000 miles to California.
Had both saddlebags, TP full, T-Bag on the TP lid and tent/sleeping bag on the passenger seat.
Just a bit overloaded.

I see travelers overloaded with a babe on the back.

I decided to buy a trailer. Haven't gone on a trip to try it out.
Bought a year-old Road Dog Wide-Track Deluxe from a HOG member for 1/2 price.
Beautiful trailer but it seems Road Dog is out of business.

Planning a trip out west and not sure if I should just run without the trailer.
Nice thing with a trailer, items are out of sight in case I want to sight-see.

Still I'm glad I have the trailer.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:05 PM
mikeman54
Supporter
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

I never leave the state without it.

Attached Thumbnails trailer versus loading down the bike-2014-05-21-14.10.15.jpg  
Old 04-23-2015, 03:23 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by yiride
I pulled a trailer for a few years . Probably about half of the stuff I brought never got out of the trailer . The biggest issue with the trailer is it took away all of the things I like best about biking, agility,speed and the immediacy. Having to plan all manouevers a little bit ahead of time became a bit of a pain in the butt . My solution was I kept the hitch and made a rack for it . Tent went there,all other gear is quality backpacking gear . For those looking for a small mattress look to an outdoor store or outfitter for a company calle Thermarest . It self inflates ,comes in various sizes and packs very small.
I agree. We have stayed gone for over two weeks without towing a trailer. We didn't throw anything away, and we didn't mail anything home. 2 pair of jeans, 5 sets of underwear and T-shirts, do a little laundry every three or four days. I camp in motels and eat in restaurants. We are packed like you see in my avatar pic......that pic was on the way to the Rockies. I have decided I'm not doing 3 wheels, as have all my riding buddies. I have 4 wheels and a convertible top when it gets to that point. And while I admit I've been tempted a few times, I'm not towing a friggin trailer on a bike. JMHO....yours may vary and that's cool with me! (she may make me eat those words.....lol)

Old 04-23-2015, 05:21 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,247 Likes on 811 Posts

I've toured with and without a trailer. All things considered, I'd rather tour without one.

With a trailer I pack more. Things I really don't need, just because I can. Then the bike works harder, is louder, hotter, and gets worse gas mileage. Tolls can also eat through your wallet.

As badly as fiberglass reflects exhaust noise back at you, I can't imagine how strongly an aluminum trailer would reflect it.

But, if you really have to travel heavily loaded, pulling the load behind the bike leaves the bike a lot more stable than having it all perched up on top of the bike.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:01 AM
thephatboy2003
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are many unforseen advantages to the regular ole run of the mill small flatbed trailer that I think many of you may be overlooking......

Old 04-23-2015, 07:43 AM
Pix
Road Master
Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

How many trips do you plan with the trailer? With trailer cost between 2-3k thats 20-30 nites in a $100.00 a nite motel

Quick Reply: trailer versus loading down the bike