Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about going to Sturgis

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 10:21 AM
ultraclassic53
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want to see night and day go to Sturgis during the event then go back a month before or after. Its like a ghost town in comparison. I decided I wanted to ride when there weren't so many people around. Went to run Spearfish Canyon and found out there was a tractor convention. Probably a hundred or more Tractors riding up the canyon.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:28 AM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts
Default Thinking about going to Sturgis

Originally Posted by lp
I was going to pipe in on that but waited for someone else to say it.
I stayed at Katmandu in 2010, and will again this year. It's very tame and has great facilities.
It's also only one exit away and on the right side of Sturgis... no traffic to fight to get to the good places.

The Chip wasn't bad (stayed there in 2011) but it is noisy like Lions said and the facilities are terrible for your basic out in the field tent camper.
Concerts though... awesome.
Yeah speaking to some Katmandu campers, it seems to me that it's a nice, quiet, tame place to get quality rest while in town. It's very popular with that crowd, too!

It's all about different strokes for different folks. I'd be miserable there.

Old 04-25-2015, 12:06 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,722 Likes on 1,547 Posts

Originally Posted by From_Behind
Yeah speaking to some Katmandu campers, it seems to me that it's a nice, quiet, tame place to get quality rest while in town. It's very popular with that crowd, too!

It's all about different strokes for different folks. I'd be miserable there.
It's great man. I mean they do have a bar and such - it's not a church or anything.
I only camp there to sleep and take showers. Coffee is like 1.50 and 1 minute away.
Plus you can't beat the no traffic thing. Nothing like heading out of the Chip and waiting an hour to get past main street traffic just to go ride spearfish or see something cool.
That's like all day, every day during the rally. It's just a real pain in the *** to get anywhere.
I mean you can swing through neighborhoods and dirt roads right into police checkpoints if you want, but nah.
Already got me a 250 buck ticket once for that ride.

And for anyone still reading, don't let anyone fool you. The Chip and Glenco boobies are not great... I mean, have you seen the videos on youtube?
Nice pair of saggies you got there grandma. Thanks for the memories naked dude with lamp shade hat riding a moped shaped like a skin banana.

Seen it. Passing this time.

Last edited by lp; 04-25-2015 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:27 PM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts
Default Thinking about going to Sturgis

Originally Posted by lp
It's great man. I mean they do have a bar and such - it's not a church or anything.
I only camp there to sleep and take showers. Coffee is like 1.50 and 1 minute away.
Plus you can't beat the no traffic thing. Nothing like heading out of the Chip and waiting an hour to get past main street traffic just to go ride spearfish or see something cool.
That's like all day, every day during the rally. It's just a real pain in the *** to get anywhere.
I mean you can swing through neighborhoods and dirt roads right into police checkpoints if you want, but nah.
Already got me a 250 buck ticket once for that ride.

And for anyone still reading, don't let anyone fool you. The Chip and Glenco boobies are not great... I mean, have you seen the videos on youtube?
Nice pair of saggies you got there grandma. Thanks for the memories naked dude with lamp shade hat riding a moped shaped like a skin banana.

Seen it. Passing this time.
See I'm good with all that. I'd be bored 5hitless, sitting around listening to soft music until lights-out at 10 PM. Hell, I'm still up and making a racket at 3 AM. LMAO!

We had a BLAST at the Chip. Absolute blast.

Old 04-25-2015, 01:12 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,722 Likes on 1,547 Posts

Originally Posted by From_Behind
See I'm good with all that. I'd be bored 5hitless, sitting around listening to soft music until lights-out at 10 PM. Hell, I'm still up and making a racket at 3 AM. LMAO!

We had a BLAST at the Chip. Absolute blast.
Oh we did too. Once was enough though. Tent camping that is.
If I had a kickass Class A camper or something... yeah, that would rock.

Glenco was a much better party though. You should try that. Chip is just ok.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:57 AM
dibe
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My dad and I will be at Katmandu this year. Let me know if you want to get a beer before curfew!

Old 04-26-2015, 08:26 AM
brent1024
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

The better half & I will be leaving Friday July 31. Will be heading out early evening & roll all night. We are staying in Lead. Heading out from northern Indiana so if anyone wants to meet up to roll together just let me know. Booked our place at the end of August last year & was slim pickings then even. Last time we went was only for 3 days. Decided this year we are staying for 10. Since she rides her own now she is stoked to hit some good roads.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:08 AM
saintv90
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We'll be at Sturgis this year as well, staying at Katmandu. We will be one of the RV campers hogging up the road with a big trailer behind. We are staying at Katmandu because it was the last place we found that could accommodate our camper. Seems like a pretty good deal...quiet for sleeping, plus a shuttle ride to the fun, and 1 exit away from the party.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:08 AM
DMetcalf
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Kirk Schneider
Sturgis is an amazing place. Everyone who owns a Harley should make the trip at least once. It gets into your soul. Don't wait, if you can go, do it. I've been a dozen times and am going this year. Staying in Hill City. A little more relaxed, but still in the beautiful Black Hills. A lot of places are completely booked. Made mine six months earlier than normal. Everything you experience is all part of the adventure and makes for good stories. See you there
That is exactly why I am going. Well said ....

Old 04-27-2015, 12:01 PM
jcrawford14
Advanced
Received 18 Likes on 1 Post

My son and I are going for the 1st time. He is 19 finishing his 1st year of college (Mechanical Engineering). I have been waiting for this trip since he was born. Doing two weeks leaving Ohio then riding Wyoming (Yellowstone)(Devils Tower) and Montana (Beartooth Pass) then back into South Dakota. We are staying in Rapid City at the South Dakota School of Mining. Got a great deal on a dorm room. Going to do mostly riding. Going to take in at least one night at the Chip for a show. Thinking Skynyrd. See ya all there!

Quick Reply: Thinking about going to Sturgis