Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air horn with Wards fans?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 01:24 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts
Default Air horn with Wards fans?

I have had the Mini Beast 2 air horn in place of the cow bell since taking delivery of my Trike. I think the loudness over the cowbell has saved me a few times from distracted or otherwise stupid drivers.

But alas!! The TriGlide gets really hot. One of my solutions to the heat was to add the Wards fans...which I believe has helped by around 20 to 30 degrees as measured in the oil. But, the Mini Beast 2 is not compatible with the Wards Fans.

So, not wanting to be without the Air horn, I moved it to the front tree, where it has been for over 1 year with no issues. But, just this week I took a speed bump too fast, and bang!!! Now I have a dent in my rear fender.

The Mini Beast 2 uses the strobel air horn. Without the cover it would work..with some slight hanger mods...in place of the cow bell. But it would look like crap. I'm going to do some detailed analysis of the cowbell covering the air horn this weekend but I'm not optimistic it will work.

Also, the Mini Beast 5 looks like it may fit in place of the cowbell. But, the cover is plastic and looks like crap. Maybe with some fabrication it would work with the cowbell?? But, I already have $249 in the MB2...and not happy about spending another $200 for the MB2.

Does anyone have an air horn..in the better than 125db range...installed with the Wards fans?

Any suggestions??

Last edited by TriGeezer; 04-24-2015 at 01:34 PM.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:31 PM
J929626
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

I believe that Jason has a special mount / bushing that allows you to mount some of the Mini Beast horns in conjunction with his fans. I pinged him about it yesterday and have not yet heard back from him.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:07 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
I have had the Mini Beast 2 air horn in place of the cow bell since taking delivery of my Trike. I think the loudness over the cowbell has saved me a few times from distracted or otherwise stupid drivers.

But alas!! The TriGlide gets really hot. One of my solutions to the heat was to add the Wards fans...which I believe has helped by around 20 to 30 degrees as measured in the oil. But, the Mini Beast 2 is not compatible with the Wards Fans.

So, not wanting to be without the Air horn, I moved it to the front tree, where it has been for over 1 year with no issues. But, just this week I took a speed bump too fast, and bang!!! Now I have a dent in my rear fender.

The Mini Beast 2 uses the strobel air horn. Without the cover it would work..with some slight hanger mods...in place of the cow bell. But it would look like crap. I'm going to do some detailed analysis of the cowbell covering the air horn this weekend but I'm not optimistic it will work.

Also, the Mini Beast 5 looks like it may fit in place of the cowbell. But, the cover is plastic and looks like crap. Maybe with some fabrication it would work with the cowbell?? But, I already have $249 in the MB2...and not happy about spending another $200 for the MB2.

Does anyone have an air horn..in the better than 125db range...installed with the Wards fans?

Any suggestions??
You should have plenty of room to run the MB2 under the body somewhere...or even down near a floorboard?

I've run an air horn in the space right above the rear drive pulley (mounted off the frame right below the passenger seat).

I don't know how much the MB2 weighs, but it seems you could use some thread-all and a coupling nut to extend the threads that you have the Wards fans on now. That is what I did on my Softail in order to be able to mount the Wards fans there and the relocated Coil. It's been on there for 10,000+ miles with zero issues.

Here's a link to what parts I used, and some pics-

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...coil-relo.html

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 04-24-2015, 02:29 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 476 Likes on 124 Posts

I have a air horn , mine is the one inside a skull , it fits fine , it is a magnum and I believe 139 db

Attached Thumbnails Air horn with Wards fans?-fcs-fan-009.jpg  

Last edited by tj316; 04-24-2015 at 02:38 PM.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:31 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

the MB horn is a heavy sob. When I did mine with the wards fans, I tried to make my own mounting system for it but wound up breaking the bolt because of the weight and lack of vibration dampening. I did exactly what Kevin is suggesting and it didn't hold up.

Do yourself a favor, don't half-*** it. Call Jason and get the $20 mounting part and be done with it.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:09 PM
J929626
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Just heard back from Jason. Have his bushing on the way.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:32 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Originally Posted by J929626
Just heard back from Jason. Have his bushing on the way.
Which air horn can you mount with Jaon's bushing?

Anyone have pic pictures?

Old 04-25-2015, 10:40 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
the MB horn is a heavy sob. When I did mine with the wards fans, I tried to make my own mounting system for it but wound up breaking the bolt because of the weight and lack of vibration dampening. I did exactly what Kevin is suggesting and it didn't hold up.

Do yourself a favor, don't half-*** it. Call Jason and get the $20 mounting part and be done with it.
Good to know! Thank you. It is holding up fine with the Coil for me, but the MB2 must be quite a bit heavier....or it could be that what you did was use one long piece of thread-all, I used the stock thread, a coupling nut and a short piece of thread-all. This is stronger than one long piece, and removing the stock thread. But Jason's piece is better than both!

Last edited by DK Custom; 04-26-2015 at 10:00 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:47 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Which air horn can you mount with Jaon's bushing?

Anyone have pic pictures?
HD bushing. This was my bright idea that failed. Drill out the bolt and use threaded Grade 8 SS threaded rod.

cut to length

install fan then install horn

looked great and I was proud i saved a couple of bucks. for a short period of time.

Here is Jason's bushing. Very well made piece

Old 04-25-2015, 10:54 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
HD bushing. This was my bright idea that failed. Drill out the bolt and use threaded Grade 8 SS threaded rod.

cut to length

install fan then install horn

looked great and I was proud i saved a couple of bucks. for a short period of time.

Here is Jason's bushing. Very well made piece

That is nice! I wish he'd had those a couple of years ago, would have saved me some time.

I think I'm going to order one of those for my TG today.

Quick Reply: Air horn with Wards fans?