Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Trip to Albuquerque

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 01:28 PM
thevirginian
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Road Trip to Albuquerque

A buddy and I are planning a road trip to the western part of this beautiful country this summer. We don't want to ride the whole trip starting from Virginia, but rather trailer our bikes to Albuquerque as our starting point for our rides. We want to visit the most memorable places out West, such as the Grand Canyon, the Petrified Forest and many more. Question is, where could we park our Van and trailer for a week or two. Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:30 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

RV storage place...summer easier maybe as alot of rv's will be out with the owners. also call the KOA.

pm me if you want some thoughts on N Az , rt 66 and 4 corners area.

our riding is possibly the best in the world...lacking only coastline

Mike

Old 04-24-2015, 02:50 PM
BlackGROOVE
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you thinking of leaving it the whole time your here? I live just 20min south of Albuq, you could store it there in my extra drive way? How much room do you need?

Old 04-24-2015, 05:23 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 632 Likes on 504 Posts

I've left mine at a harley dealer b4 call em first.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:28 PM
BackRoader
Road Master
Received 105 Likes on 84 Posts

Watch out for Heisenbergh.

Old 04-25-2015, 01:07 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,491 Likes on 1,603 Posts

I've done this many times.
I've left my vehicle and trailer at motels (with permission) on private property, and in trailer storage facilities.
Overall, I prefer a fenced security facility and they're usually fairly reasonable rates.
I'd hate to return to my vehicle to find there was a problem due to vandalism or theft, which could (and does) happen most anywhere these days.

FWIW. in '07 we trailered to Clovis, NM, stored the rig in a fenced trailer storage facility) and then toured through Albuquerque, to Four Corners, the Utah Canyon lands, Carlsbad Caverns (a 2,000+ mile trip) before returning to Clovis.

I would suggest that you purchase one of those "sun shade" protectors for your car's dashboard as the sun really gets hot out that way.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:51 AM
thevirginian
Tourer

I thank y'all for your great responses. I certainly will consider the offers. Once we have made up our minds and the trip is edged in stone, I will repost this again. For right now, it is just a plan. But your answers did help us a lot to make up our minds.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:07 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,290 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Originally Posted by thevirginian
I thank y'all for your great responses. I certainly will consider the offers. Once we have made up our minds and the trip is edged in stone, I will repost this again. For right now, it is just a plan. But your answers did help us a lot to make up our minds.

Don't know if you plan to go north to Yellowstone but Vernal UT is some where in the middle if you do.

Old 04-25-2015, 06:28 PM
thevirginian
Tourer

If we head North then not farther than Utah. We have done Yellowstone in 2012. It was great! We want to do Arizona, Nevada and Utah. this time.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:53 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,491 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Originally Posted by thevirginian
If we head North then not farther than Utah. We have done Yellowstone in 2012. It was great! We want to do Arizona, Nevada and Utah. this time.

I's suggest that you do some research in regards to the weather (as in HOT) in that part of the country during the summer months.

On the trip where we left the rig in Clovis, NM, we did it in September and it was a much more pleasant ride that the other trips that we did in July.
The temps were pretty cool in the higher elevations but it's much easier to put more stuff on that it is to stay cool.

Quick Reply: Road Trip to Albuquerque