Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

converting clutch back to cable

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 09:43 AM
heavypic
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I for one purchased my '14 RK because it did not have the hydraulic clutch or ABS brakes. I read some of those clutch lock-up stories...no thanks!

Also, the dealer tried to talk me into an ABS model...I said no way...I read about pinched brake lines under the tank and wheel lock-ups. Yeah, I admit there might be a situation when the ABS could save you vs conventional brakes... but I stop by downshifting and using both brakes. I had a few panic stops where I momentarily locked-up the rear wheel and the rear would start to go left, but I quickly released rear brake pressure and straightened out the bike.

BTW...the standard cable-spring clutch set-up on the '14 RK is easy to pull...I can do it very quickly with 2 fingers and I ain't no stud. It's a piece of cake compared to the stock clutch set-up on my 04 Fat Boy.

I think too much techy stuff increases your vulnerability to malfunctions/breakdowns on road trips far from home. I'm not opposed to technological advancements...I invite them if they have been adequately tested for trouble-free function for many miles by the MOCO before unleashing on the market.

However, I like bikes that are a blend of tradition with some tech advancements if they're justified...afterall it is a bike, a Harley...hope we riders aren't getting too soft in the middle...

Old 04-25-2015, 02:01 PM
FlaHeatWave
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by hardheaded
anyone ever convert their new bikes clutch back to a cable setup ? seems like harley's having alot of trouble with the new hyd. clutch. good old cable lasts a long time. just wondering if this could be done cheaply.

'Have (CVO) hydraulic clutch on the '05 & '09 they are great (very little if any reported issues). Personally I would never consider a change, 2 steps back...

IMO it would be very expensive several thousand $ if you could do it at all, among changing all the hard parts, the Can-Bus safety switching might come into play?...

Last edited by FlaHeatWave; 04-27-2015 at 08:56 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:28 PM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Buelligan666
If you've read some of the posts I've seen on here, yes it magically stops working. Guy's have said they pull in their driveway, pull the clutch lever, clutch doesn't disengage and they run into the garage door, or back of the garage. I don't have a dog in this hunt (11EGC), just relaying what I've read. I would personally take advantage of the recall. There have been enough accidents to warrant it.
I hear ya about hunting a dog, and not boastfully saying I can read a clutch or anything else. Iv read the same post about running into the door and jumping out in tragic. These 14 have been ginnypigs for the last year and the cvo's have not had the issues with the clutch as far as I can tell. I'm just not going to jump on the bandwagon Again, or ohjeez I got to get this done asap and findout 2 months later the same old thing is happening again.
Some of the issues, no a lot of the issues reported here are not consistent and some I believe are selfinflected by owner/operator. Anyway I wouldn't get all excited about this next round of clutch panic threads. imranting sorry
The hyd clutch was added for stiffer clutch springs to ease leaver pull

Last edited by Gwaxley; 04-25-2015 at 08:26 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:57 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Never buy the first model year of anything and never buy the first 5 model years of anything HD makes

Old 04-25-2015, 08:22 PM
dh2683
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AlbertG
I for one purchased my '14 RK because it did not have the hydraulic clutch or ABS brakes. I read some of those clutch lock-up stories...no thanks!

Also, the dealer tried to talk me into an ABS model...I said no way...I read about pinched brake lines under the tank and wheel lock-ups. Yeah, I admit there might be a situation when the ABS could save you vs conventional brakes... but I stop by downshifting and using both brakes. I had a few panic stops where I momentarily locked-up the rear wheel and the rear would start to go left, but I quickly released rear brake pressure and straightened out the bike.

BTW...the standard cable-spring clutch set-up on the '14 RK is easy to pull...I can do it very quickly with 2 fingers and I ain't no stud. It's a piece of cake compared to the stock clutch set-up on my 04 Fat Boy.
You want me to believe you bought your bike because it didn't have a hydraulic clutch & ABS breaks because you read a bought those clutch lock ups. Hydraulic clutch's are not new on HD & I for one have had both types of breaks & I will never have a bike without ABS breaks again.Guess I'm just not as good a rider as you. Wait I dont need to be because my wheels WONT LOCK UP AND SLIDE.
What a load of crap!

Old 04-25-2015, 09:11 PM
goose222
Road Master
Received 139 Likes on 79 Posts

I do not like the feel of the hydro clutch. Would much rather have the cable set up any old day.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:05 PM
miner999r
Road Captain
Received 214 Likes on 128 Posts

I've ignored a recall on a vehicle to my regret. Now I always look for recalls and get them done.

By the way I have had clutch cables break on Nortons and even on a BMW. It does cause an awkward moment at an intersection!

Old 04-25-2015, 11:39 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a CVO and my clutch is a little different so the pull is much easier than cable and those with hydraulic on the other fairings. It took a couple miles before I learned how to play with the clutch and feather it and much prefer it to the cable. The adjustment is always in the exact same place and doesn't change with the miles I rack up. I have less hand cramping in traffic too.

Old 04-26-2015, 12:01 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by AlbertG
....I read about pinched brake lines under the tank and wheel lock-ups.....
Really?

Document me the stories please.

That recall added a zip tie, to keep the line where it was supposed to be.

I'm another that believes the bike talks to you. There are a LOT of guys that don't listen to what she's telling you, however. Rarely does something fail instantly, usually there are signs that tell us there is a problem.

Old 04-26-2015, 12:20 AM
FinalShot
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I read that this recall is caused by letting the bike sit in storage for too long. Researching the internet and the 3 or 4 stories I could find were all about guys that were getting their bike out of storage after 6 or more months and they hopped on pulled in the clutch and started it. The bike then lunged forward once it was put in gear. One of the heard from a friend who heard from an uncle's cousin's brother's sister stories was about it happening at an HD dealer. The story was about a guy that bought the bike, did all the paperwork and the sales team was taking the bike off the showroom floor. Started it and put it in first gear and ended up damaging several other new bikes when it went several feet forward.

I'll see if I can find the story in my history as someone said they had the video of it from store security cameras and was going to post it up on Youtube.

Quick Reply: converting clutch back to cable