Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King wont start

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 08:18 PM
deepsea
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Road King wont start

I have a 2007 FLHR with about 48000 miles. I rode it 50-60 miles on wednesday and thursday. I parked it in the driveway for about 2 hours on thursday, and was going out thursday night with the wife. The bike turns over strong but will not fire up. I filled up with gas, pulled the plugs to look for fouling, no loose wires that I saw. Any suggestions as to where to look?

Old 04-24-2015, 08:23 PM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

Likely a spark of its cranking.

Do you hear the fuel pump prime? If so, a coil perhaps?

I'm not by any means a troubleshooter, but that's where I'd start

Old 04-24-2015, 08:58 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Start with looking for a spark, the new bikes you can not check spark by pulling a plug and leaving the whole empty, best way is to put an extra plug in the hole and grounding the plug or using a spark checker.
If you see a spark then pull the plug and see if you can smell gas on it.
Try that then get back. Diagnosis is systematically checking components to find the one not doing its job.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:41 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 627 Likes on 454 Posts

Does the bike use a security fob? Lots of folks have worked for hours on the bike to ultimately find the fob battery has died.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:55 PM
mikeyglide
Advanced

Fuel?
Air?
Spark?

Good luck

Let us know as I for one don't know it all

Old 04-27-2015, 03:08 PM
deepsea
Tourer

Still stumped. Pulled plug, not fouled. Sparks when grounded on head, I hear fuel pump spin up, replaced crank shaft sensor. Any other ideas? I heard there was a problem with 07 RK in tank fuel lines. I think I will pull them out and see if there is a leak in there.

Old 04-27-2015, 03:49 PM
vanman59
Cruiser
Default Check fuel line connector at tank.

Motor will crank forever and not start if the fuel line connector at the fuel tank is not on properly. Pull it off look inside the connector making sure the o rings look good then snap it back on. You can give it a squirt of starting fluid too to make sure it is a fuel issue. If it fires you don't have fuel.

Old 04-27-2015, 04:05 PM
oldhippie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by deepsea
I have a 2007 FLHR with about 48000 miles. I rode it 50-60 miles on wednesday and thursday. I parked it in the driveway for about 2 hours on thursday, and was going out thursday night with the wife. The bike turns over strong but will not fire up. I filled up with gas, pulled the plugs to look for fouling, no loose wires that I saw. Any suggestions as to where to look?
If you have a powercommander in that bike, then take it out of the loop. it's easy to do. Sometimes they go bad and the bike won't start. That's the first thing they'll do at the shop if you have one.

Check all the fuses.

Old 04-27-2015, 04:08 PM
oldhippie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by vanman59
Motor will crank forever and not start if the fuel line connector at the fuel tank is not on properly. Pull it off look inside the connector making sure the o rings look good then snap it back on. You can give it a squirt of starting fluid too to make sure it is a fuel issue. If it fires you don't have fuel.
Good point, mine failed last year.. also make sure it's on solid at the EFI side. The replacement hose is about $45 and is a better unit.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:42 PM
deepsea
Tourer

I have a new fuel filter, in tank hoses, and gasket on order. Ill get back to yall one way or another.

Quick Reply: Road King wont start