Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please say it aint so(heated grips)

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 08:41 AM
tcatman02
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Please say it aint so(heated grips)

So I go to my local dealer to pick up some mirror extensions and I decide to look at some new grips because mine are showing signs of wear. I ask the guy because I have heated grips do I need to be looking at certain models of grips to work with them, he says yes and shows me a few models that have the dial on the left grip and ask him if just these will work with my heated grips? Then I notice the price(((((($295.)))))) and he says that in order to continue enjoying heated grips(which living in New England I DO) I have to buy all new heated grips!!!!!You mean to tell me that they don't make these things so you can run different grips over your existing heat elements , much like my snowmobiles do. I don't want to sound like a cheap *****(which I am) but I don't want to replace it if it isn't broke (to the tune of 200 or so more of my hard earned dollars). Does anyone know of a more reasonable solution to than to buy all new heated grips? Thanks for dealing with my rant.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:43 AM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 724 Likes on 483 Posts

I wouldn't consider 295 cheap lol.. That's alot of money for that.. BTW GOOO Patriots all the way from Houston

Old 04-26-2015, 10:36 AM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member
Received 640 Likes on 333 Posts

I put heat demons on my bike. They mount inside the bars and you can run any aftermarket grip. I have the Harley tribal grips. With a laser thermometer I read 98 degrees at the grip on high. I like them a lot. I got mine from the classified here for about $100. Installed them myself when I changed bars.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:40 AM
paid4c4
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Please put me in the less than happy column about being ripped off if I need new grips.
Bill

Old 04-26-2015, 11:22 AM
Woodsy
Supporter
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

+ one on the Heat Demons, they work with any grip. I changed out my bars this winter & discovered the same thing. HD heated grips are pricey limited selection.

Old 04-26-2015, 12:07 PM
472viper
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Sent you a Private Message. I may have a cheaper alternative for you.

Old 04-26-2015, 12:28 PM
58sniper
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tcatman02
Then I notice the price(((((($295.)))))) and he says that in order to continue enjoying heated grips(which living in New England I DO) I have to buy all new heated grips!!!!!
I feel your pain. I've been switching everything over to the Slipstream style, and when I saw what it was going to cost for the Slipstream heated grips, decided I need to save more bottles and cans before I can afford those.

Old 04-26-2015, 12:50 PM
Highwayman-AL
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That is just for the grips, wait until you try to replace them, on a fairing bike to disconnect the cable, and them pull the wire through the bars, then trying to get the new wire back through the bars. This isn't a hard task, just time consuming and lots of little stuff to take apart to do the install.

I am not sure of the complexity for heat demons although I hear they are a good alternative. If mine every go out or the hand grips get damaged that will most likely the way I will go as I don't really like the Harley grips anyways.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:31 PM
mnbnd
Road Captain
Received 341 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by 472viper
Sent you a Private Message. I may have a cheaper alternative for you.
I've heard of the HD grips not working long enough....Any chance you can shared the cheaper alternative with the group? Thanks.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:02 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,458 Likes on 1,589 Posts

I have factory installed heated grips on my '13 CVO Ultra and they're nice for cool rides.
I also have and older pair of heated H-D gloves and they're much warmer than the heated grips.

I bought a new pair of Gerbing "Hybrid" heated gloves last fall that have little pouches for batteries and they can also be used via the power jack on my bike.

Quick Reply: Please say it aint so(heated grips)