Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 06:01 PM
Skullcap
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Mistake?

I recently purchased my first motorcycle ever. It is an Ultra Limited. The first time I ever drove a motorcycle was at the test drive at the dealership (I do have scooter experience though).

Since buying the bike I have read that what I did is considered a big no no. 'Never have your first bike be a big heavy cruiser' is the predominant wisdom.

The thing is, I am having the time of my life. At first, slow turn maneuvers were challenging, and yes, I dropped the bike a few times, but I am feeling a lot more comfortable with the bike after just a few weeks.

It seems to me like any reasonably coordinated person should be up to the challenge of learning to ride one of these bikes.

So, I am interested to know if you think I made a mistake. If so, why?

Old 04-26-2015, 06:04 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,957 Likes on 1,711 Posts

The big mistake is those that tell you to start on a sportster and a year later you want a tourer and you lose your shirt on the sportster. I started out on a tourer.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:11 PM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 334 Posts

I'm sure there are plenty of people who learn on a touring bike. No biggie. Take a motorcycle safety class. Some states offer them for free. A lot of insurance companies will give a discount for taking it. Mostly you will learn a lot! Practice, practice, practice.... It's so easy a greasy biker can do it.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:13 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

I concur with Dawg the Sportster is one of worst to learn on because of very high center of gravity. I started riding motorcycles as kid from mini bikes, dirt bikes, then street bikes. But I think you'll be ok although kinda of expensive to drop a HD tourer . Go take some MC classes at a community college etc. Also some good books like Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough has some very good techniques.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:15 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,344 Likes on 1,550 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
The big mistake is those that tell you to start on a sportster and a year later you want a tourer and you lose your shirt on the sportster. I started out on a tourer.
Friends don't let friends buy Sp------s, Hang on the back roads, don't ride in any groups, and play with it. Accelerate, slow down, accelerate, hard stop (straight road), ride some curves and you'll get the hang of it. The bike will let you know when you are exceeding your skills, just ride so it whispers it to you and not slaps you in the face with it. More scary is there are 10-20% out there that don't have the skills and don't even realize it. Take Care.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:15 PM
oldhippie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts

Sounds like you've already gotten over the worst of it.

Like Dawg says, plenty of people buy small and then wish they bought the big one.

Take the safety course... don't grab a handful of front brake with the handlebars turned or being leaned over. That will put you on the ground faster than you can say "ouch".

Old 04-26-2015, 06:19 PM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Skullcap
I recently purchased my first motorcycle ever. It is an Ultra Limited. The first time I ever drove a motorcycle was at the test drive at the dealership (I do have scooter experience though).

Since buying the bike I have read that what I did is considered a big no no. 'Never have your first bike be a big heavy cruiser' is the predominant wisdom.

The thing is, I am having the time of my life. At first, slow turn maneuvers were challenging, and yes, I dropped the bike a few times, but I am feeling a lot more comfortable with the bike after just a few weeks.

It seems to me like any reasonably coordinated person should be up to the challenge of learning to ride one of these bikes.

So, I am interested to know if you think I made a mistake. If so, why?
I would like to see a few pics of the bike and a few of any damage after you dropped it, like you stated. Oryourbsus

Old 04-26-2015, 06:19 PM
rpking
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a Kawasaki Ninja when I was in my early 20's, sold it while still in my early 20's
Jump ahead almost 30 years, I bought my Street Glide at the age of 48.
I don't know how it weighs compared to an ultra but I love my bike, I am very glad I didn't buy a smaller bike.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:21 PM
oldhippie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by acchd
I concur with Dawg the Sportster is one of worst to learn on because of very high center of gravity. I started riding motorcycles as kid from mini bikes, dirt bikes, then street bikes. But I think you'll be ok although kinda of expensive to drop a HD tourer . Go take some MC classes at a community college etc. Also some good books like Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough has some very good techniques.
The Bible. He also has a book called Street Strategies that is very good. Most of all, practice.

Motorcycle Safety Course:

1 Push left to go left
2 Push right to go right
3 Look where you want to go

Old 04-26-2015, 06:23 PM
BrooklynMike
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TSheff
Friends don't let friends buy Sp------s, Hang on the back roads, don't ride in any groups, and play with it. Accelerate, slow down, accelerate, hard stop (straight road), ride some curves and you'll get the hang of it. The bike will let you know when you are exceeding your skills, just ride so it whispers it to you and not slaps you in the face with it. More scary is there are 10-20% out there that don't have the skills and don't even realize it. Take Care.

Bottom line is take ur time, and know your limits, and continue to get that practice in...

Quick Reply: Big Mistake?