Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pics of seat to console gap on FLHRS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 08:01 PM
grapeapes
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Pics of seat to console gap on FLHRS?

So I've been looking for a new seat for my Road King Custom but the seats I want that put you further back all are listed for the FLHR/C only.

I've been searching and most people say there will be a small gap between the console and the nose of the seat. Others say theyve done it with no problem. But I haven't found any pictures yet.

If anyone has a Custom with a non-Custom seat can you post pics of the so called "gap"?

Thanks

Old 04-28-2015, 04:02 AM
BadX
Elite HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 49 Posts

It really depends on the seat itself. The foam is glued to the seat pan and if the seat didn't get enough glue put on the front when it was assembled the foam will pull back over time and create the gap you are referring to and I suspect that is why some fit perfect and some do not. We see this quite often and when we get one in the shop that has pulled back we re-glue the front of the foam to prevent it from doing this.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:21 AM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

I don't think there will be a gap on your RK Custom if it has the stock console.I believe the other RKs have a shorter console than yours,the custom has a console like the Street Glide IIRC.When I had my 06 FLHT I bought a RK Custom seat and there was a large gap between the nose and console,but HD made a leather covered gap filler which I still have somewhere.So,I think the seats that will fit the other RKs,will have too long a nose for your Custom.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:30 AM
grapeapes
Tourer

Yeah the fitment between FLHR and FLHRS is a little confusing. On the HD site, all the seats listed for the Road Kings say they fit both the Classic/Standard the same as the Custom.

But all the aftermarket seats site have the disclaimer: fits FLHR/C (EXCEPT FLHRS)

Old 04-28-2015, 11:15 AM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

I can say a Corbin I purchased recently for a Custom does not fit my Standard RK. According to Corbin the frame is different and sits lower. Live and learn to run part # and speak with maker before purchase. Expensive dust collector.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:19 AM
grapeapes
Tourer

Just to update. I got a La Pera Maverick Daddy Long Legs and even though JP listed it as not fitting the Custom, I contacted LaPera and they said it would fit fine.

Here are some pics to compare stock to DLL.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:42 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

Originally Posted by bigheadted
I can say a Corbin I purchased recently for a Custom does not fit my Standard RK. According to Corbin the frame is different and sits lower. Live and learn to run part # and speak with maker before purchase. Expensive dust collector.
bs (from corbin, not you). the frame is the same. the difference is the shorter shocks, and the longer dash console. otherwise, same. looking at the corbin website, the roadking seat fits from 1997-2005, and of course the custom was offered in 2004-2007 only. looks like you got caught in some kind of year overlap with the fitment thing (if you're talking about your 04 cop bike). not sure how the 'older' seats mounted, that may be why yours didn't fit?

Originally Posted by dansflhti
I don't think there will be a gap on your RK Custom if it has the stock console.I believe the other RKs have a shorter console than yours,the custom has a console like the Street Glide IIRC.When I had my 06 FLHT I bought a RK Custom seat and there was a large gap between the nose and console,but HD made a leather covered gap filler which I still have somewhere.So,I think the seats that will fit the other RKs,will have too long a nose for your Custom.
because the dash on the custom is longer, the nose of the seat is shorter. you will run into problems using a non-custom seat because you'll have a lot of the nose of the seat riding on top of the dash, which is unsightly, and makes for a difficult install. the reverse is also true, if you use a custom seat on a non-custom, then you will have the large gap between the tip of the nose of the seat and the bottom of the dash console.

Last edited by skratch; 06-05-2015 at 08:52 PM.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:37 PM
G E E
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I have 05 ultra CVO seat on my 07 RK custom and it fits Perfect. Fits like your La Pera .

Old 06-06-2015, 10:00 AM
grapeapes
Tourer

Originally Posted by skratch
because the dash on the custom is longer, the nose of the seat is shorter. you will run into problems using a non-custom seat because you'll have a lot of the nose of the seat riding on top of the dash, which is unsightly, and makes for a difficult install. the reverse is also true, if you use a custom seat on a non-custom, then you will have the large gap between the tip of the nose of the seat and the bottom of the dash console.
Yeah I think La Pera did a good job getting the nose right. Fits nice and tight on the Custom. I think on the Classic/Standard it would come right up to the console with minimal or no gap (since those have the shorter console).

Ashley at LaPera said in an email that the nose fits really well on the Road Kings which is why I pulled the trigger.

Old 06-06-2015, 10:53 AM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

Had an 07 FLHRS I did put on a H-D Sundowner 2 up seat that was model specific, and
some seats from the same year Street Glide are listed to fit the RK custom. The CVO
Road King for a year or two was built on the Custom too. I also have a Mustang solo
seat & backrest that I bough, that didn't give away when the Bike was traded in on the
2014 Street Glide I have now with less then 200 miles on it.

It was a $480.oo seat that I would ship anywhere in the lower 48 States for $200.oo, just saying.

Quick Reply: Pics of seat to console gap on FLHRS?