Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Axtell oil bypass valve

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 09:43 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

i'm certainly not saying don't install it, just sharing my experience with it. I'm simply not a believer in all the hype about it

Old 04-29-2015, 09:55 AM
Vasilis
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I have read in other forums you are not the only one with such experience although some say it works.
If this item was actually doing what it was supposed to do then everybody would comment positively.
Unfortunately a friend of mine purchased same along with the baisley ground precision plunger as present to me and both will arrive next week.
I think I will just place them in the garage locker.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:04 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Never stock hyd tensioner oil systems don't need any "improvement" geehaws. And I'm a geehaws guy...

Old 04-29-2015, 11:54 AM
B18cx
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just throwing it out there. Those saying don't mess with stock oil pressure and if Harley wanted more the would have done so. Well, they did. Ever go read the description on the Screamin Eagle high flow oil pump? One of their main selling points is "improved oil pressure".

Old 04-29-2015, 09:04 PM
SavageChopper
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

I've been running the Axtell bypass for over 12,000 miles without issue. my oil pressure is over 50 while cruising and around 15 while hot. Would I do it again? Sure, why not.

Old 04-30-2015, 01:06 AM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

Originally Posted by Vasilis
As I have read in other forums you are not the only one with such experience although some say it works.
If this item was actually doing what it was supposed to do then everybody would comment positively.
Unfortunately a friend of mine purchased same along with the baisley ground precision plunger as present to me and both will arrive next week.
I think I will just place them in the garage locker.

It appears that you have the Axtell system (spring & plunger) coming and also part of the Baisley system (plunger) but not the Baisley spring as they are sold separately. Not everyone needs to replace the plunger so Baisley sells separately.

The stock bypass has a weaker spring than the other two makes the higher pressure by not bypassing until a higher pressure is reached.

I have the Baisley spring only and run at around 50 above 2500 rpm (if only our gauges were marked better). Yes I would do it again

Old 05-25-2015, 07:43 PM
sanman4ever
Club Member
Received 321 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
When my heads get here, new cams are going in and it's coming out. I figure if HD wanted your oil pressures at 50+ psi, they would have manufactured and installed the device themselves or at least offered it in the SE product line-up.
Do you think it's possible to remove the axtell set up without pulling the the CAM plate and such?

Basically just pulling the CAM cover punching out the pin, etc.?

Old 05-25-2015, 09:26 PM
Joker65
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vasilis
Good day,

I am going to install the s&s 551 easy cams and the zippers dual piston tensioners in my 2007 96" street glide, I tried to look in the forum for any cons regarding the axtell oil bypass valve however I didn't see find any.

Has anyone installed the axtell oil by pass valve and what is your opinion - will it actually help or it is not necessary.

Also what about the baisley ground precision plunger in zippers website.
From Axtell's site:
Aerated oil is spongy and causes lifter ticking. Also being spongy it results in an oil pressure drop that will cause the piston oilers to shut down. When this occurs engine heat builds and piston & ring life is shortened. Our system directs the bypassed oil into the cam chest to be returned to the oil tank eliminating the "loop".

The Axtell bypass valve's main function is to reduce the aeration of the oil, thereby reducing any foaming.
It also increases oil-flow during low idle, thus keeping the oil pressure up when riding at slower speeds, idling, etc.
Some people swear by this "upgrade" and others see no use for the cost and/or trouble of installation.

That being said, I removed my Axtell oil bypass valve about a month ago and am very glad I did!!
From the moment I installed it, it almost felt like my top end wasn't getting enough oil; similar to how it sounded when an oil pump o-ring failed.
I would have times when the bike sounded normal, but after riding no more than an hour, it seemed to have excessive valve train noise.
(Prior to that, I had little-to-no valve train noise, as I was running S&S 585 cams.)

This lasted about 1-1/2 years, intermittently, until I finally replaced it with the OEM valve and a Baisley 15% spring - LMR-002.
When removing the Axtell part, it was extremely difficult to remove, like it had been out of place/alignment.

Now I'm back to that peace of mind that comes from a quiet valve train!!
I'm running the S&S 570's and haven't had any valve train noise, whatsoever.

Old 05-26-2015, 05:49 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by sanman4ever
Do you think it's possible to remove the axtell set up without pulling the the CAM plate and such?

Basically just pulling the CAM cover punching out the pin, etc.?
Never tried it but I doubt it.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:09 AM
sanman4ever
Club Member
Received 321 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
Never tried it but I doubt it.
After posting up my question I went to the Zippers site and looked up the install. See below listed step 1 instructions.

Step 1: Disassemble the engine motorcycle to the point that the cam cover can be removed.This kit can be installed without removing the cam support plate from the engine if desired.

Quick Reply: Axtell oil bypass valve