Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting a title in Ohio

Old 04-29-2015, 07:10 AM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,679 Likes on 822 Posts
Default Getting a title in Ohio

I ran into a problem, I bought a 78 FLH with a Paucho frame from a guy. He had a clear title, he bought it as a project and got the title in his name. I traded it for another bike telling the guy that the title matched the engine but not the frame as it was aftermarket. I only looked at the last 2 digits to verify it was a 78 and due to my ignorance, I just assumed the rest of the numbers were correct. What are my options. Please only members that are familiar with OHIO titles. One option I can think of is just claim it is a new build and someone traded me the frame from Craigslist, and I got the engine from another Craigslist and will the BMV title it with no problems as a new build? Do I at least get with Paucho for a documentation of their frame. It is stamped clearly with Paucho numbers. I dont' want to stiff the guy I traded as I honestly overlooked the title when I bought it. I can still get ahold of the guy, I have his address. Unless he died in the last month. HELP!

Old 04-29-2015, 07:30 AM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member
Received 634 Likes on 327 Posts

Sounds like you may be screwed. The engine needs a receipt showing that the person who last titled the bike removed the engine and sold it to you. The frame needs either a receipt like mentioned before or an MSO sheet. My buddy bought a bike from Florida. It was titled in Florida and was a "manufactured" bike. There was no serial number on the frame, because when they built the bike they didn't stamp it. The Ohio title department would not title it. He needed all the MSO sheets and or receipts before they would inspect it.

I have bought a bike before with the promise of a title. I picked the bike up and was waiting to get the title before doing any work to it. The kid claimed he lost the title, but admitted he never put it in his name. He told me to contact the previous owner. I explained to him that he broke our verbal contact and I was bringing the bike back and he was gonna give me my cash. He finally reluctantly agreed. I got my money back thankfully. In your case, you overlooked the discrepancy in vin numbers. You're probably stuck, unless you pull some really shady illegal crap, which I highly don't recommend.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:33 AM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member

And for what it's worth, my girlfriend worked at the bmv for about 4 yrs. She's up on all that stuff. She couldn't get my buddies bike squeaked by the inspection either.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:53 AM
RKC rider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ohio is one of the hardest states to get a vehicle title.
Ask me.......... I know
Michigan USED to be real easy. (If you know someone in Michigan).......Say you have a lost title...Get the sheriff to inspect the frame or motor#, make sure the vehicle has not been reported stolen or has a lien.....they run the #'s and if all is good they issue him a certificate and take it down to the BMV and get a title issued....He then "sells" you the vehicle and you get an Ohio title for yourself.
Not sure if it is still that easy
Worth a try if you know someone in Michigan

Old 04-29-2015, 08:12 AM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member

And another note, it's not the bmv that would inspect it as a new build. It's the same place that inspects rebuilt cars.

http://bmv.ohio.gov/salvage_inspection.stm

Old 04-29-2015, 01:13 PM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,679 Likes on 822 Posts

I got ahold of Paucho customer service and they sent me the form to fill out and notorize for the MSO. Thanks for all the help from the members. That is step one. Got to make sure it isn't hot either.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:21 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnut1
Got to make sure it isn't hot either.
That probably should have been step 1

Old 04-29-2015, 02:59 PM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by KCFLHRC
That probably should have been step 1
Step one should have been: verify the serial number before buying.

The frame will be the least of your worries. Getting a notarized receipt for the engine will be the sticker.

Old 04-29-2015, 04:21 PM
426power
Tourer
Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Good luck I just went round and round with the BMV trying to title a dirt bike that I purchased for my son. Guy purchased it through a military purchase and never had it titled. Now I cant get a title for it since they said it would have come with a title and I need it to get a new one.