Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After Rotator Cuff Surgery- Your Experiences

Old 04-30-2015, 07:43 AM
nj08SEUltra
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts
Default After Rotator Cuff Surgery- Your Experiences

I am currently in physical therapy after rotator cuff surgery at the end of February. My doctor and therapist have not yet cleared me to ride although I feel I could. For those with experience, when were you able to ride again? Did you encounter any problems when you started? Thanks for any insights.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:46 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I had the surgery, it took about 3 months or so before I was strong enough and the pain was controlled enough to ride..it was kind of strange..I was in a lot of pain for a long time and all of a sudden one day the pain was (almost) all gone...

Old 04-30-2015, 08:06 AM
hrchdog
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I waited six months because doctor said if I didn't let it get totally healed there was nothing left to fix it with again they would have to get new tendons from a cadaver. I completely tore three of the four that make up the RC into.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:39 AM
trackerman
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default After surgery

I got my sling off on the 20th. I went for a ride on the 26th and felt pretty good. Still sore, but I can lift my arm half way up with no pain at all.Going on a ride this weekend. My only words of caution is take it slow. I have no problems using the clutch or turning the bike. I am more aware to not let it lean to far while stopped now also. According to the Doc you need to wait 6 months to a year, but I have a friend that went for a ride the day her sling came off. The best is when you feel comfortable to ride try a short ride like around the block. Only you will know. I have not dropped my bike yet and I don’t plan on starting just because of a shoulder surgery.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:47 AM
lowrider1499
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I rode to therapy within 30 days.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:45 AM
RaceFace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I tried after 3 months and had issues. My beach bars were just too wide for me. I was sore and just didn't feel in 100% control in case I had to react quickly. I just wasn't comfortable with that. I continued physical therapy 2 times a week and tried it again a month later and was better, but still not there mentally and physically. I went another month and did better. Take your time with your recovery and stick with physical therapy until you have 100% mobility back. It's just not worth it.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:53 AM
mtiberio
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I raced shortly after RC surgery. I figure the rules were you could do whatever you wanted as long as your elbow didn't leave your side/ribs. So I fitted these stupid looking cruiser/pulback bars on my racebike at the time (a KTM duke), and raced. Raced upright, kept my elbows tight to my ribs, and didn't feel any pain. Smart? Probably not. Does the joy from winning those two regional titles that year (my last year racing 2004 at the age of 50) assuage the pain I feel now? Not really. Would I do it again, probably...

Everytime I have had orthopaedic work (and I have had a lot), I push the "rules" set out by the doctors as far as what I can and cannot do. Invariably when I go back to the doctors, I hear, "I can't believe the progress you are making".

Old 04-30-2015, 10:17 AM
nj08SEUltra
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks to all for the information. I have full mobility, but according to my therapist and what I read, I'm only 40% healed. My impression is the biggest concern is re-injuring the shoulder if the bike goes over; I don't believe I would injure it by simply riding. I see the surgeon on May 7 and am going to hope for clearance to ride. If I get the ok, I will limit the miles at first.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:22 AM
rhuff
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,118 Likes on 732 Posts

I was young and stupid and I still followed the doc's advice to a T. I had major cuff repair then as soon as I was 3 months out, I had a labrum repair due to pitching in my early 20s. My suggestion, follow his advice to a T. Any quick, sudden movement could absolutely F you over. Another 30 days and you'll prob be good to go. Wait.....

Old 04-30-2015, 10:22 AM
MikeBel
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,491 Likes on 636 Posts

Let your body be your guide once your medically cleared. Don't just consider if you can ride, consider a worst case scenario. If you're not confident you could handle it, then wait. If something goes wrong and the shoulder isn't up to the task you could easily be in serious trouble.

Be safe. The roads aren't going anywhere.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: After Rotator Cuff Surgery- Your Experiences