Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3M Paint Protection Film ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 12:18 PM
TeeStu
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 3M Paint Protection Film ??

Has anyone applied the 3M Paint Protection Film ?? I want to apply to my tank just forward of the seat. I have the Tank Bra to install but want to put the film on under the Bra to avoid fading and abrasions. Like the looks of the Bra and want to protect from Buckle scratches. There's no one in my area that does the install so thought I would try it myself...I have done decals and lettering but no experience with the film, especially with the curvature and shape of the tank...

Old 05-01-2015, 01:32 PM
hemi1300
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

While I haven't done a large section of the 3m film, I use small pieces of it all the time. Put some on my tank right in front of the seat where my legs were rubbing the paint a bit, about a 2"x4" piece on each side,can hardly notice it's there. Also put some under the seat where the paint was getting rub marks. Stuff is pretty easy to work with and apply, just have to make sure the paint is thoroughly clean before application. Quick wipe with isopropyl alcohol works well

Old 05-01-2015, 03:20 PM
NELS
Road Master
Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts

Put it on my bag covers. Have to look real hard to see it. Made a template first . A little tricky but doable.

Old 05-01-2015, 03:45 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by TeeStu
Has anyone applied the 3M Paint Protection Film ...
Clear static-cling sign material works well too. I've used it on my tank to prevent marks. Many sign shops use the material and may have some scrap pieces for you to try. I've also applied a section to the top of my tank and used it as a "note pad" to write out directions.

Like most static-cling stuff, make sure the surface is clean and smooth. Apply with a little soapy water and work out the bubbles...nearly invisible if cut and applied with care. Applying when warm will help with some curves.

Old 05-01-2015, 04:25 PM
My14Ultra
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Check YouTube for vids on applying it and what the spray bottle should be filled with. My brother put some of the 3m vinyl stripes on his boat and tried it without the spray. It was a mess to remove. Then he got some more vinyl and mixed up a bottle of solution to apply it with and went much better. The videos look helpful. I was lucky enough to have an Xpel dealer near me and had my bike done in it. When I went in the first time to talk to him(hd dealer recommended him) he was doing a new Indian. When I went to pick up my bike he was doing a new Harley Trike. I had it done to my new cars also. Good luck on the application.