Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Bluetooth: AKE HC2

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 04:01 PM
CPT_Carrera
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Harley Bluetooth: AKE HC2

I've built my own Sena Bluetooth adapters using an SMH10 and even one with the SR10. Both performed well and as designed as a mono/duplex solution to link my headsets to my 2014 Harley Streetglide infotainment stereo but I wanted to see what this AKE device I had heard folks talk about on the web was all about. Spoiled Biker used to sell them so I read but discontinued so, with no one currently selling them stateside I took a chance, reached out to the company in Germany, and ordered one directly from them.

For just under $200 U.S. and about 10 days from the date I ordered, the AKE PB-HC2 arrived on my door step. Based on everything I'd seen previously on the web the product I received had seen some updates. The 12v power wire is now a 2 wire setup with a ground. The instructions said to only use this ground if disturbances were noted when using the device so I connected the 12v wire for power and wrapped the ground with electrical tape and did not use it. It still comes with a 7 pin DIN connection for the Harley so no change there. I didn't own one of these so this was an additional purchase for me. I had ordered some female 7 pin DIN connectors thinking I'd make my own cable but when they arrived they were cheap so I bought the Harley cable part # 69200865.

Another change was the AKE device also has a remote multifunction button which allows it to be completely hidden while leaving only the button accessible and it is the same diameter as the Harley comms cable port so can be mounted in the fairing opposite the jukebox storage like a few of the dealerships do on the CVO models for the headset port or in the metal dash on the gas tank like all the ultras have. Most of the discussions I had read before sounded like guys had this thing sitting on their tank or somewhere accessible which would no longer be necessary with this remote button. I chose to mount my button in the left side of my internal fairing opposite the jukebox storage compartment as just mentioned.

Bc I already had my CB installed I needed to remove it during install to give me enough space to work with and mount the multifunction button. I proceeded and drilled a big*$$ 3/4" hole in my fairing and once mounted and cable attached i returned the CB to its mounting location. Next I connected a 7 pin DIN cable to the actual AKE module and was ready to power it up. I powered it up and it immediately went into pairing mode. With all previous pairings deleted on my Sena headset I tried pairing to the AKE device. After three failed attempts I figured it was time to actually read the instructions. I ended up following the steps to clear all pairings on the AKE Device per its little manual and a few minutes later I had it. I think it may have come from the company already paired with a different headset as it will only allow one headset to pair with it at a time. I recall during my order process one of the representatives told me to put in my order form online, which headset I use and I told them SMH10 but I was testing on this day with my Sena SPH10. They may have tested it from the factory with the other device and it just needed to be cleared.

With headset paired it was time to test. Here's what I found. Because I connected my device to switched power The AKE started up with the bikes ignition. After a few seconds it connected to my headset. It initially was in mono/duplex mode and seems to do that by default. I tried a few voice commands and a phone call and its performance was on par with the two Sena devices I had built and tried previously. Next I tapped the remote multifunction button and THE DEVICE WENT INTO STEREO MODE! I was listening to my Harley's FM stereo in stereo quality audio on my headset. That was a huge improvement over my earlier experiences with the Sena devices which only did mono unless you add a second device and I figure for anyone that has gone that route about $100-$150 less in costs. There is a catch though. The Sena headsets don't handle the bass in a lot of my music so I had to dial the volume down on the Sena and the bike to find the sweet spot that allowed enough volume without distortion. Not a huge concern for me because I run my music out of my Harley speakers anyway. Just nice to know I can do it if I choose.

Because both the Bluetooth headsets I own are Sena and I was now listening to stereo quality audio I figured I'd test the ability to conduct music sharing which is a Sena headset feature. If successful I'd have a two up audio solution. So, I paired my second Sena headset to the one connected to the bike and with an intercom connection established I held my jog dial down until I got two beeps and both headsets were listening to stereo. Success!

I finally tested the AKE devices ability to transition from stereo back to mono with both headsets connected in an intercom session ... I tapped the AKE multifunction button and the device went back into mono/duplex mode, I made a quick phone call, then tapped the button again and went right back to listening to stereo. There was a slight pause but the other paired headset returned to listening to stereo as well. While the AKE was in mono the second headset was silent so only the rider heard audio until the stereo connection was re-stablished. The AKE device doesn't support two up audio but because it pushes out that A2DP signal my Senas can share it. Anytime I returned to mono the headset NOT connected to the AKE was silent until I returned the AKE to stereo mode.

After some preliminary testing of this device I'm pretty happy with it. The set up is almost completely hidden or looks like a stock solution. It provides my passenger and I the ability to listen to stereo and me the ability to push a button to switch the device to mono/duplex mode and use CB and all other bike audio functions then switch back. It powers on with the bike and turns off with it as well. My hole I drilled can be filled with the Harley cable part# 69200865 if they ever decide to give us the Bluetooth profile where add ins become unnecessary in the boom system so no permanent damage. I did notice that on occasion the AKE device doesn't want to pair correctly and I had to restart it to synch with my Sena headset but a quick restart of the device and hold down the button to get it into pairing mode and it corrected in seconds.

I'm sure I'll find a few more quirks down the road to report but to conclude, I figure if you're willing to take the risk and order from AKE in Germany until someone stateside starts selling them again, this device has the ability to provide a much needed solution to the new Harley's lack of Bluetooth headset connectivity. Subject I suppose to any fluctuations in currency rates you stand to walk away with a solution that is as good or better than anything out there at the moment for less money. I did notice that spoiled bikers version was listed at $299 although discontinued but I had mine paid and shipped for under $200.

Attached Thumbnails Harley Bluetooth: AKE HC2-image.jpg  

Last edited by CPT_Carrera; 05-03-2015 at 04:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BrownSanta (10-18-2016)
Old 05-03-2015, 05:01 PM
SSTuner
Supporter
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Outstanding write up. Glad you got it to work.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:31 AM
fdny136
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ake

just did the same on my 2015 road glide ultra , so far I am happy

Old 07-16-2015, 07:30 PM
CPT_Carrera
Tourer

Originally Posted by fdny136
just did the same on my 2015 road glide ultra , so far I am happy
So you got it all figured out?

Old 07-18-2015, 04:01 PM
fdny136
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ake

pretty much ,there is a bit of a learning curve

Old 07-18-2015, 04:12 PM
CPT_Carrera
Tourer

Originally Posted by fdny136
pretty much ,there is a bit of a learning curve
That's good to hear. I think I've followed up with just about everyone I've come across that recently purchased one or made it known on the forums that they purchased one anyway. From day one I was worried my experience would be the exception but I'd say by and large the device is performing for most as it was designed. I only know of a couple that had to send out for replacements but so far the company has taken care of them which is really something considering they are not in the U.S. I've been purchasing some upgraded audio components for my streetglide so I imagine I'll get less use out of the stereo function of my device once I get everything to my liking but I like knowing I have the capability. Enjoy it and post some feedback on the Rushmore thread with same name as this one.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/new-r...h-ake-hc2.html

Old 05-28-2016, 05:50 AM
nicokaal
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a streetglide 2015 with boombox i put in the headset cable and a ake module.
in my helmet i have a scala rider q2, and everything is working well even phone duplex..
than i did bay a shubert m1 but it dos not connect with the ake , so i sended it back..
witch bluethooth helmets or built-in sets will work on my ake module ??????

Last edited by nicokaal; 05-31-2016 at 11:54 AM.
Old 06-11-2016, 10:25 AM
spoiledbiker
2nd Gear

Really Nice Writeup! It is good to hear you could Pair to the SPH10 as AKE has been telling me that Cardo/Scala is the way to go.

Have you tried pairing the unit with any of the new generation Sena Products?

Old 06-11-2016, 10:40 AM
PSRumors
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

I have the 20s paired to the AKE

Old 06-11-2016, 11:09 AM
nicokaal
Stage II
Smile

Originally Posted by PSRumors
I have the 20s paired to the AKE