Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone using a True Track?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 09:45 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,383 Likes on 4,003 Posts

Originally Posted by massparanoia
I've been considering getting one for my '03 RK. I've read a lot of good things, but wanted to hear some recent insight. I'm looking at the model 20-00.
I never had an issue on my 2012 FLKTK . I was taking a long, sweeping curve one afternoon, that transitions between two freeways. I was going about 70mph and could feel a little wobble in the rear end. It got my attention...

I installed a TrueTrack after reading grbrown's post about "the wobble".

Been around that same curve several times now, at even higher speeds, and the bike is rock solid...

Of course, after researching the "wobble" and reading about some of the weaknesses of the OEM HD suspension, I decided to update my 2012 so it rides better than the new 2014 bikes.... cheaper than trading it in....

I saved just about enough to order some Ohlins for the rear shocks. I'm about 6 months of saving away from ordering Howard's triple trees to fit a 2014, 49mm front end, with Ohlin cartridges, on my bike...

It never ends.....

Old 05-07-2015, 09:50 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by redturbo911
What do the true track for a street glide cost? Also how hard is the installation of it?
You can see installation instructions and costs on their website. The same version will fit all touring models of any years group, including your SG, they are not model specific.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:12 AM
RaceFace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a one-time control "issue" with my gf on the back at 65mph when the bike was new to me a few years ago. At the time, I wasn't sure what had caused the issue. I got out of the situation unscathed and still upright, but had to pull over and catch my breath and change my underwear! I read GRBROWN's thread and realized what had happened to me. I bought one. It completely changed the handling and attitude of the bike. It feels like it's on rails now. I never really realized how loose the *** end felt until I put one on. It was a game changer for me. I don't ride my bike hard or scrape it in the twisties, I'm a mellow cruiser and I still had an issue. This fixed 'er right up and put my sense of trust back in the bike. Now cagers, THAT'S another story!!! LOL!!

Last edited by RaceFace; 05-07-2015 at 10:15 AM.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:17 AM
woodman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 363 Likes on 361 Posts

TT makes the bike track like it should. Easy install.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:26 AM
dibe
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My 08 was terrible in the turns with the wobble. Now I do not have a True Track but I did put the Progressive Touring Link on there and it has taken about 98% of the wobble out of the bike. It rides like a totally different bike now.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:00 PM
Blowby
Road Captain
Received 167 Likes on 70 Posts

I had a funny gyration at speed when any irregularity was crossed on the road. Grooved freeways were not fun once you past the 65 mph mark on the speedo. I aligned the wheels, tightened and adjusted everything I could and even replaced the front motor mount rubber. Still no luck eliminating the wobble. I chalked it up to the Dunlop Elite (small contact) round profile tires.

I talked to a few service techs about frame and engine alignment and if this would solve the wobble and they said maybe. So $250 or so to get a 50% chance of correcting the problem was hard for me to swallow so I held off.

My ride to Laughlin this year from Moab was great. Rode with my father in law, who is 79 this year, so we rode around 60-65 mph most of the way. Still feeling the instability like the bike is not tracking properly. Once we arrived I started to wander through the booths and stumbled across Ron at True-Track. I discussed my issue and without a hitch he explained the reason why this is happening. Not really interested in band-aiding an alignment problem with an add on device I told him I wasn't sure this was the correct direction I should take. 90 day money back guarantee and a lifetime warranty were his last words.

Bike is on the lift and Ron is checking the engine mounts and anything that might contribute to the wobble. All looked good. Only thing he had to repair was the cross bar that the True-Track dog bone attaches to. It was bowed a bit but not scuffed from hitting anything. With his custom tool he brought it back to spec and flat again. All areas were cleaned and ready to install.....he asked how I ride. I told him since I'm in Colorado I ride a lot of twisty mountain roads at a good speed for a touring bike.

This is interesting that he asked my riding style but his choice on True-Tracks went from a 20-00 model to a 20-00LR. I asked the reason and he said the unit is a little narrower from center and I will have more clearance in turns. Any disadvantage from the 20-00? Not at all. Mounted and ready to go in short order and I hope this is money well spent.

Booth was located by the gate so after he pulled it off the lift it was rolled out of the venue and pointed toward the parking lot of the hotel. I started to pull away and immediately noticed the bike felt solid, power was planted and as I made a u-turn around some parked cars the feed back from tires to bars had no sloppy flexy feeling like before the install. I headed to the nearest highway with some curvy sections and all was good. Not enough time to really test the stabilizer but I was happy with the product so far.

Next morning I left Laughlin and headed to St George where I parted with my father in law so time to open her up. Lets just say I was at speeds where the wobble was an issue prior to the True-Track but no more. Completely gone and the response of the 2003 Electra Glide was crisp for such a heavy bike. I ride with tires aired to 41 psi and the bike now felt like it should. Hard on the brakes into corners and heavy acceleration coming out without a buck, wallow or wobble.

To sum it up. Great product, clean install and it doesn't affect my Biker Bar mount for the trailer. I guess I saved the cash from engine, frame alignment to offset the cost of the correct solution.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:18 PM
massparanoia
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Been searching google awhile, found this. I wonder if it is any good? Can't find any reviews on it. http://www.cecomponents.com/p-17-track-true-system.aspx

Old 05-07-2015, 07:42 PM
greggreen
Cruiser
Received 98 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by massparanoia
Been searching google awhile, found this. I wonder if it is any good? Can't find any reviews on it. http://www.cecomponents.com/p-17-track-true-system.aspx
Why are you looking at the cheap knockoffs? You've had several endorsements in this thread. I'll add mine. I've had a True-Track on a Dyna and my CVO Electra Glide. I'd never go without one. Go order one and don't look back. The only naysayers you'll hear from are the guys that have never tried one.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:47 PM
massparanoia
Cruiser

Originally Posted by greggreen
Why are you looking at the cheap knockoffs? You've had several endorsements in this thread. I'll add mine. I've had a True-Track on a Dyna and my CVO Electra Glide. I'd never go without one. Go order one and don't look back. The only naysayers you'll hear from are the guys that have never tried one.
Honestly the only reason I came across it is because my dumb (or smart?) iPhone autocorrected true track to track true while I was doing some more research on the can.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:03 PM
massparanoia
Cruiser

How can you tell if the dog bone needs to be straightened. Should I go ahead and order the tool at the same time? They say that "most" need to be repaired.

Quick Reply: Anyone using a True Track?