Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Compensator or starter ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 11:14 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by SBates08
Have you gotten yours yet?

2010 Limited with some stuff
Got the call this morning. Its on its way. Should get it next week. Also replacing everything in the primary.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:15 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Oh and you may want to consider this compensator if he can't wait a little while. We just started shipping them and new orders are going to be 3-4 weeks for delivery.

http://bakerdrivetrain.com/compensator-sprocket-kit

Old 05-10-2015, 07:48 AM
pingman68
Road Master
Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

I had just had my 08 Streetglide in the shop with the hot hard start issue and a strange rattle sound coming from the primary at low RPM's. It turns out that the splines on the shaft extension had becomes grooved and allowed the sprocket and sliding cam to slop around. Since getting back, no starting issues and it soooo much smother running.

Old 05-10-2015, 08:27 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,324 Likes on 3,269 Posts

My 07 FLHTC did the sane, my closest dealer where I bought the bike experimented with a new high torque starter, manual comp release, grounding stars, 2 stock compensator, all under my ESP... 2 weeks before my ESP ended I took it to the other dealer a proven over which I gad been talking to the service mgr..He didn't even hesitated and put a SE compensator in, this was at 72000 miles I think and I never heard anything from the drive train since...89000 miles last weekend...if it happens again a Baker one will go in....
The good thing is I got a new starter, 3 primary oil change, gaskets, compression release, exhaust ground strap, 3 clutch adjustments....rode the bike to Canada last summer and never flinched...I did install a Hayden chain tensioner also...pretty happy...

Old 05-10-2015, 10:02 AM
phillyrube
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did the 2005s have this issue? Mine is doing the same thing.....quick start cold, bang and grind when warm....,

Old 05-10-2015, 10:24 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Nope. Pre 07 seem to be immune from wide spread failed. You might have a loose bolt.

Old 05-10-2015, 11:17 AM
FatTony
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by SBates08
The compensator is the culprit but it has also weakened the starter clutch from the backlash. The starter clutch is where the grinding is coming from. Compensator and starter clutch will need to be replaced.
A good way to test the Comp...hold front brake and with the bike in first gear let out on the clutch about half way. If it stays quiet the Comp is good. If it starts chattering and knocking it's time to replace it.

2010 Limited with some stuff
This man is talking some sense right here.

Old 05-10-2015, 10:13 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by 472viper
My grandson recently bought a 2007 Electra Glide with 45k on the clock. He is proud as a peacock and happy as could be. I wish he had taken me with when he went shopping but he didn't so it is what it is. After riding for a few days he brought it by my house and complained that after he's been riding it a lot and the bike is pretty warm, it "starts funny". When he hits the starter there is a short grinding noise followed by a pretty loud bang and the bike does not start. Second try the bike started normally.

My first thought is compensator. But how do we trouble shoot and make sure it's not the starter ?
================================================== ==

The comp went had on my 09 TC 96 at 9k miles having the loud bang from primary when firing up & also had the shuttering feeling going on when starting out from a dead stop too .

So that was all fixed a while back (Months before Bakers new comp was avail to ship) when i installed a new SE comp inc new rotor along with the COMPENSAVER (Oiling Tray Mod) that's significantly designed to increase oiling of the compensator which should hopefully increase it's srv'c life.

Bike has been smooth as glass taking off and loud bang when firing up are both gone since installing the new SE comp on my 09 TC 96" FLHTCU .

I was going to replace the prim chain tensioner with the newer upgraded 6B prim chain tensioner , but when i saw the older generation original 6A tensioner that supposedly wore out faster had literally zero wear on the tensioning block @ little over 9k miles i re-installed it & saved the new 6B tensioner for use at a later date if needed.

Scott

Last edited by wscott; 05-10-2015 at 10:19 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 02:42 PM
rezrider
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Mark, any ideas when your going to start shipping on those compensators. Mine just ate my second starter clutch in two weeks

Old 05-25-2015, 04:36 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by rezrider
Hey Mark, any ideas when your going to start shipping on those compensators. Mine just ate my second starter clutch in two weeks
They are already shipping them. I got mine 2 weeks ago.

Quick Reply: Compensator or starter ?