Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

horrible gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 10:23 PM
Rootro
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even with the Large Wiindshield you should be getting more than 23 MPG. Put a new air cleaner on it, check for Brake Drag and check your tire pressure. Forgot one, no Fat Chicks, that will cause a loss of MPG also.

Old 05-23-2015, 10:53 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

Was the tank full when you started? If it was How many miles did you go and how many gallons did you add to fill it up?

Old 05-23-2015, 11:43 PM
nineball
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Retrop
Have you checked for bullet holes in the gas tank? Ya, you are going through way too much gasoline for something not to be horrible wrong. Can you smell gas when you let off the throttle at 60-70 mph?
nope, no holes. no smell of gas at any time.

Originally Posted by hog95023
Was the tank full when you started? If it was How many miles did you go and how many gallons did you add to fill it up?
fuel gauge read a little less than 3/4 of a tank when i hit the road to go home. i did around 90-95 miles total roughly, a couple rest stops along the way, filled up the tank (that was almost on "E") when i got to my exit on the freeway and it took ~4.75 gallons. haven't done anything more than around town trips since then. if i get the yard work done tomorrow early enough i may have to to head out for a longer ride.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:24 AM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,434 Likes on 874 Posts
Default horrible gas mileage

Originally Posted by nineball
nope, no holes. no smell of gas at any time.fuel gauge read a little less than 3/4 of a tank when i hit the road to go home. i did around 90-95 miles total roughly, a couple rest stops along the way, filled up the tank (that was almost on "E") when i got to my exit on the freeway and it took ~4.75 gallons. haven't done anything more than around town trips since then. if i get the yard work done tomorrow early enough i may have to to head out for a longer ride.
So you haven't even tested from a full tank? Quit wasting everyone's time here.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:30 AM
nineball
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by golfblues
So you haven't even tested from a full tank? Quit wasting everyone's time here.

no worries, just click on the thread tools link, then unsubscribe. poof! your problem is solved! you can go back to wasting time in your normal way.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:48 AM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 576 Likes on 417 Posts

no worries, just click on the thread tools link, then unsubscribe. poof! your problem is solved! you can go back to wasting time in your normal way.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:16 AM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,434 Likes on 874 Posts
Default horrible gas mileage

what a *******

Old 05-24-2015, 10:48 AM
vickers1
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by golfblues
what a *******
That was my first thought when I saw your post.

Old 05-24-2015, 01:23 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

nope, no holes. no smell of gas at any time.

fuel gauge read a little less than 3/4 of a tank when i hit the road to go home. i did around 90-95 miles total roughly, a couple rest stops along the way, filled up the tank (that was almost on "E") when i got to my exit on the freeway and it took ~4.75 gallons. haven't done anything more than around town trips since then. if i get the yard work done tomorrow early enough i may have to to head out for a longer ride.
You need to try your calculations by starting off with a full tank, then filling up at end of tank to get an accurate reading. I am sure you are aware but feel it's worth noting none the less.

Also I wouldn't rely on one tank to determine the average. Do this over several tanks as speed, weather conditions, traffic and other variable such as terrain can provide higher, lower results.

Pt here very well may be nothing wrong with your bike but you won't know for sure unless you start off will a full tank and divide by the gallons replaced when empty or you fill it up again. Anything less than total miles out of a topped off tank divided by gallons required to top off again to determine mpg is a guess and quite frankly useless.

Old 05-24-2015, 03:06 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 576 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by hog95023
You need to try your calculations by starting off with a full tank, then filling up at end of tank to get an accurate reading. I am sure you are aware but feel it's worth noting none the less.

Also I wouldn't rely on one tank to determine the average. Do this over several tanks as speed, weather conditions, traffic and other variable such as terrain can provide higher, lower results.

Pt here very well may be nothing wrong with your bike but you won't know for sure unless you start off will a full tank and divide by the gallons replaced when empty or you fill it up again. Anything less than total miles out of a topped off tank divided by gallons required to top off again to determine mpg is a guess and quite frankly useless.
Waste of breath for this squid. He works with numbers for a living...
He knows it all...
Don't even have to ask him; he'll tell you anyway.

Quick Reply: horrible gas mileage