Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What really caused this guy to scrape and crash?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 06:07 PM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member
Received 666 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by polbit
I'd say this could've been avoided by the rider doing 3 things:

1. Getting his butt off the middle of the bike and hanging off a bit. That simple change makes a huge difference in your cornering angle.
2. Also looks like the corner entry was bad - as opposed to slowing down significantly on the outside of the turn at the entrance, then accelerating through the turn in a gentler arc, he came in on the inside, then tightened the corner at the max lean angle. Baaad.
3. As others have mentioned, his feet were spread out to the outside, not letting the board come up enough, and draging his foot in the first place.

He basically did every basic thing wrong.
Agree with #1&2, looks like the primary hit before his foot came off the boards. If anything he was leaning the wrong way, right elbow bent and left was straight pushing his weight in the opposite direction that it needed to be. And, really.....way too hot into the corner.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:18 PM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Whiskers
the driver wasn't really going that fast when it happened.
i agree with one thing for sure he wasnt going that fast when he lost it, that is obvious because of the way he stood up (which was an awesome acrobatic move...i give it an 8) but i still feel he went into the turn way too fast and at a terrible angle

Old 05-14-2015, 06:23 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I can say why it happened. Target fixation , watch his eyes , he didn't look thru the turn he looked exactly where he crashed.
Moving his foot,and sliding it on the road was a problem too, as that was the final nail in the coffin so to speak.

Last edited by Bill03E; 05-14-2015 at 06:29 PM.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:32 PM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

If your body isn't far enough out over the COG you'll need to lean the bike farther to hold a turn. If you lean too far and hit the hard parts you'll never recover traction.
I'm surprised nobody has said this... If you reduce throttle or hit the brake while fully leaned over you'll only succumb to gravity and fall over faster. Anyway, hard parts on the ground, rear tire in the air, you're past the point of recovery.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:51 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,246 Likes on 810 Posts
Old 05-14-2015, 08:53 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by jberg
...... reduce throttle or hit the brake while fully leaned over you'll only succumb to gravity and fall over faster. ....
..... which is why every MSF instructor insists that you learn to scrub speed before the curve
.... if your line's wrong, everything's harder
....... i'm still amazed at his acrobatics getting off though

Old 05-14-2015, 09:04 PM
timbo141
Road Warrior
Received 221 Likes on 159 Posts

The Image Foxtrapper has says it all.

"Chin over wrist" (COW) technique is the best way to corner.

Explanation and two great reads that can save your life:

http://www.motorcycletraining.com/te...-to-major-tom/

http://motorcyclemelee.com/declining...tion-and-more/

Last edited by timbo141; 05-14-2015 at 09:08 PM. Reason: foxtrapper's image beat me to it
Old 05-14-2015, 09:47 PM
NECaveman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Operator error. Should have slowed the bike before he lean further to the left to keep the bike on the track he was on. If he slowed a little, stand the bike up a bit more and would have made the turn. Also, when he lean further the last time the left floorboard was already scrapping the highway.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:11 PM
fishheadsaid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

What Jberg, foxtrapper and others have said. His position on the bike is opposite where it should be and has moved the COG to a bad place. Look at his elbows, left elbow straight right elbow bent. His head and torso are near vertical, not in line with the bike let alone hiked out. Look at his head in relation to the center screw on the fairing. He's leaning away from the turn and anticipating stepping off the bike that's why his left foot is leaving the floorboard. And he's not going that fast because once he does step off its a few short strides to his "what me?" shuffle.

My guess is no training or bad buddy training. He doesn't know how to corner, is afraid because he doesn't understand it, uses some common sense by going slow, but still dumps it because he literally does the opposite of what was needed. The bike being lowered certainly didn't help, but a low side crash was in his future. Hopefully if he continues to ride he'll get some rider training.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:29 PM
06SGWA
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
Originally Posted by fishheadsaid

This and this!
We used to call this, "Crossed Up." (leaning right while turning left - counter productive)

If he would have leaned to the left (instead of the right as pictured) he could have decreased the lean angle enough to negotiate the curve. If he was still coming in too hot he could have scooted his *** off the seat and decreased the angle even more. He was going so slow that he probably could have only moved his head to the left and made it through. This vid has nothing to do with target fixation or road conditions. He simply came in too hot and didn't lean into it, he crossed up. I can lean left and damn near dump the bike over to the right while going in a straight line... lean my body to the left a bit and the bike will turn.
Bottom line, inexperienced rider, and holding your foot out to drag like you're on a dirtbike isn't too smart either.

Last edited by 06SGWA; 05-14-2015 at 10:34 PM.

Quick Reply: What really caused this guy to scrape and crash?