Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What really caused this guy to scrape and crash?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 12:03 PM
Don81
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah crossed up just like the first guy. I hadn't noticed that about the first guy but it's true. They're leaning on instinct to the outside to try to bring the bike up, when really it's leaning to the inside that will stand the bike up.

Old 05-22-2015, 01:06 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,515 Likes on 1,302 Posts

I have entered too hot or on the wrong line more than once. Each of those times, training rather than instinct kicked in and I either held my speed or increased it. I have badly scrapped Jackpots a scrape or two on my jiffy stand. I have been caught and scared by decreasing radius turns, but I made it. Fortunately, on the one time I crossed the yellow line, yes I did, there was no traffic. That was a bad line for the speed headed into Maupin after riding with a side wind all the way from Susanville. I was fatigued and was watching the center line instead of through the curve. It can happen to anyone, but is the most common in inexperienced (not newbie) riders. It is how we get experience. Anyway, it was a wake up call.

Prior to that, my nearest to lowsides has always been getting off the gas in the middle of **** happening. I took a 25 year hiatus between Harley's and it showed. I have been lucky, I practice panic (Quick or emergency stops), last minute swerves at 50, and keeping my speed or a touch up when scrapping rather than my instincts to grab the brake, or look at the object, or let go the gas, touch brake.
I believe you do in an emergency what you have done before, not what is right, so if I want to do what is right, I practice it enough each spring so that is what I will do in an emergency. Anyway, my girlfriend thinks I am the safest guy she has ridden with and we are no slouch on the curves, touching often. But I slow just enough to power through the curve. It may have been that that first rider, same speed had been following my line instead of that sport bike, he may have made it, but I also think, from the video that he was over his head before he actually got into that curve.

I will also agree that I have been real close to the point where even doing the right thing might not have been enough, but I have been lucky. Had I had an extra 5 mph, would I have lifted my rear wheel? I know I was on the ragged edge but trusted the bike. I'd like to think I am more careful, but entering hot or off line happens, usually when riding with friends. It is not uncommon for testosterone to play a role with my friends. Believe me, I've seen my buddies Road Glide Ultra looking like the 4th of July in front of me and me hoping that he does not brake or let up the gas.

When I had other bikes, like my VStrom, it was always an eye opener when I got back on the Harley. The VStrom does at 90, what my Harley does at 65. On the VStrom, I used to feel that the first thing to touch was my elbow.

Old 05-22-2015, 01:18 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

Funny thing is he wasn't even going that fast. My guess is the bike was lowered also, that, combined with lack of ability made this a bad day for him. But great job on the dismount.

Old 05-22-2015, 01:36 PM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteF
I ride quite aggressively sometimes, but there comes a point when one can override the capabilities of the motorcycle and oneself. It appears that the rider in the video did just that. At some point the foot board support will contact the road, lift the rear wheel off the pavement, and cause the rear-end to pivot. No amount of trail braking braking or anything else will correct that problem. The best thing that the rider in the video could have done was to have gone into the curve slower. It looks like he simply over-rode the curve maybe showing off for the guy taking video.
+1 he was in over his head on the first scrape maybe he could have saved it then by braking but once he got that wheel unloaded it was over

Old 05-22-2015, 07:18 PM
Silvio
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I, too, have learned a lot from comments in this thread and I appreciate it.

I still seriously pucker every time I see his left hand and arm going for the pavement.

Also, look at that outside guard rail on the curve. It's very beat up, attesting to what others have said here to the treacherousness of that stretch.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:59 PM
don g
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Pick up a copy of Twist of the Wrist 2 DVD. It's a great resourse to get the facts on riding.

Old 05-28-2015, 02:30 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,515 Likes on 1,302 Posts

I watched the 1-1/2 hour Youtube of Twist of the Wrist 2. Great video. I was so impressed I sent this link to all my friends and to a few who fall into a different category. Thank you for posting it. I just ordered the DVD.

Old 05-28-2015, 04:39 PM
Assegai
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...............he jacked the rear wheel - doomed!