Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Temp Gauge - Accuracy

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 02:14 AM
AZFLHX
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Temp Gauge - Accuracy

I took my SG in for its first maintenance at the dealer and mentioned that the air temp gauge consistently reads about 15-20 degrees above the real ambient temperature. The service guy said that the gauge is not meant to read the outside temperature- that it is intended to read the temp of the air going into the intake, or thereabouts. And, since the motor is hot, it causes the temp to read higher than what the temp would be in a location a ways away from the motor.

Is this guy full of crap, or is that really what this gauge is supposed to do?

If that's the intended purpose for the gauge, then it seems to me that it would make more sense to relocate the temp sensor to somewhere out in front of the bike so that it would read true ambient temps and not be influenced by motor heat. Does anybody know where the sensor is for that gauge?

Steve

Old 04-26-2007, 02:22 AM
Nadil
Road Warrior
Default RE: Air Temp Gauge - Accuracy

Even if that is true what he said it still makes the guage as useless as t!ts on a boar hog.

Old 04-26-2007, 02:32 AM
AZFLHX
Novice

ORIGINAL: Nadil

Even if that is true what he said it still makes the guage as useless as t!ts on a boar hog.
Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking [:@]

Old 04-26-2007, 08:49 AM
SpikeCT
Road Captain

Sounds like a bad gauge.... I have one that I put an oil temp in it's place. Im sure we could reach a cheap price......

lol

Old 04-26-2007, 08:55 AM
Mathews2
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My street glide temp air temp Gauge does the same thing, I suspected it was the heat from the engine causing it to read higher

Old 04-26-2007, 08:55 AM
Timex
Tourer

The air temp. sensor is under the fairing near the headlight. It is there so that you will get pissed off and go spend another HD (hundred dollars) @ HD (harley davidson) for an oil temp. gauge. McEwan makes one for under 100 dollars (H Dollars)

Old 04-26-2007, 08:59 AM
RanD
Tourer

With all due respect to H-D, that gauge is an embarrassment! I do a fair amount of touring with my bike and I'm thinking of replacing it with the compass. Oil temp gauge is another option that would make some sense.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:59 AM
Canedog
Cruiser

Someone mentioned they had all ready made that replacement - temp for oil. I would like to do that myself. I kinda know when its hot andcold out.An air temp that doesn't work is worthless.
Dog

Old 04-26-2007, 10:03 AM
jbhawley
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i moved the sensor to a location closer to the top of the fairing and this makes a huge difference. Now the temp is reads is very close to the real outside air temp as the location is farther away from the engine.

Old 04-26-2007, 10:14 AM
Silverearl
Road Captain

Well as long as it is 70 or below mine is pretty accurate. When it gets over that it is hot and there is nothing that will cool the fairing down enough for it to be accurate.. But when it gets that warm I am not to concerned with what the temp is. It is warm and that is all that matters..

Quick Reply: Air Temp Gauge - Accuracy