Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone with 510 s&s cams?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 05:17 PM
Remi_357
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone with 510 s&s cams?

How you like them? And what's done to your engine? Thanks

Old 05-15-2015, 05:48 PM
06 Ultra Classic
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

All that's done to mine, is gear drive S&S 510s, full S&S exhaust, with SPO mufflers , and their intake, all running on a Thundermax tuner.
Pretty happy with the results, the bike is much easier to ride in traffic, and has a lot more get up , when you need to pass on the highway. I still get more than 300kms (186miles) without running it dry.
It's not a rocket ship , but I wasn't expecting it to be.
Scott

Old 05-15-2015, 09:21 PM
Apendejo
Road Warrior
Received 522 Likes on 295 Posts

I put these cams along with SBC Scotsman heads, .030 MLS head gasket and a V&H Pro Pipe in my 95" '03 Ultra Classic when it was new. Used a PCIIIusb and had it tuned on a dyno.
The bike ran like a scalded dog out on the freeway. Click down to 4th gear, 2 up, and pass a string of big rigs like they weren't even there.
I did not like the around town manners. Idle was a bit ragged and off idle performance was like stock. Tuner said it was due to the cam overlap.
I switched to TW37G and gained all the S&S 510 top end PLUS smooth idle and great around town low rpm manners(performance).

Last edited by Apendejo; 05-16-2015 at 10:35 AM.
Old 05-16-2015, 12:32 AM
Buffalolake
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I run them, but my engine has been heavily modded now. My bike had S&S 510 gear driven cams, 96" overbore with Wiseco pistons, stock heads, S&S VFI ECU, and Magnetti Marelli fuel injection when I bought it. I loved the way that it ran above 3000 RPM, but didn't like the way that it idled and backfired. I eventually wound up putting S&S 97" jugs and pistons, S&S 89cc Super Stock heads, a V&H propipe, S&S stock ratio exhaust rockers, 1.725:1 Screaming Eagle intake rockers, and replaced the MM injection with the S&S 52mm throttle body. The bike dyno'd with 105 hp and a torque curve that has a small dip off idle, but then stays between 105-109 ft/lbs through the majority of the RPM range. I am happy with it, but I could probably do better if I got rid of the 1.725 rockers and just got a bigger cam.

Old 05-16-2015, 06:17 AM
Joker65
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Remi_357
How you like them? And what's done to your engine? Thanks
The S&S cams are all pretty solid, but what are you putting it into?

The 510's can be a little soft down low, but when they come on, they come on hard; similar to the 570 at a lower CR.
I've always liked the way the 585's and 570's feel too, they always give that sensation of wanting to just go faster!!

The 510's are designed for a stock motor, with no additional mods required; they feel/perform the best at or above 3,000 RPM.
I'd recommend a small bump in compression and a 0.030" HG, combined with an A/C, exhaust, and a good tune.

I also love the way the S&S cams sound too... they have that great cadence at idle, a bit on the mean side!

Old 05-16-2015, 07:11 AM
fwb35
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

They are lagging in low rpm range, I tried the SE204 cams, one of my favorite, I went to Andrews 37G cams because I wanted to get rid of the tensioners and go gear drive.

Old 05-16-2015, 05:12 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 304 Likes on 226 Posts

I used them on my 2013 ( see sig below ) on the advice of the indy that set my bike up at 1,000 miles. For my riding style ( old man ) they come on a little late for me but when I need to move they MOVE! Going through the gears at high rpm is awesome. I had momma on the back and told her to lean back so I could show her how fast it was when it was new. I felt the front wheel come off slightly after shifting into second. Not sure who was more surprised, me or her. Again, for my riding style I wish they would come in a little sooner. Running 60 or 70 in 6th gear and twisting the throttle....not so exciting. But downshift a couple and your doing do over 90 in a heartbeat. Not bad for a big bagger.

My indy is a great tuner and the engine runs and sounds fantastic. It's the best running bike I have had. I get about 36 or 37 mpg if I'm easy on it. If it's just me. 33 or 34 mpg riding hard or easy fully loaded 2up.

Would I use these cams again, maybe. I'd have to do a better job explaining my riding style to my indy and see what he says. He only knows full throttle and loves the cam for a bagger

Old 05-17-2015, 08:11 AM
pittz5
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by EdwardK
I used them on my 2013 ( see sig below ) on the advice of the indy that set my bike up at 1,000 miles. For my riding style ( old man ) they come on a little late for me but when I need to move they MOVE! Going through the gears at high rpm is awesome. I had momma on the back and told her to lean back so I could show her how fast it was when it was new. I felt the front wheel come off slightly after shifting into second. Not sure who was more surprised, me or her. Again, for my riding style I wish they would come in a little sooner. Running 60 or 70 in 6th gear and twisting the throttle....not so exciting. But downshift a couple and your doing do over 90 in a heartbeat. Not bad for a big bagger. My indy is a great tuner and the engine runs and sounds fantastic. It's the best running bike I have had. I get about 36 or 37 mpg if I'm easy on it. If it's just me. 33 or 34 mpg riding hard or easy fully loaded 2up. Would I use these cams again, maybe. I'd have to do a better job explaining my riding style to my indy and see what he says. He only knows full throttle and loves the cam for a bagger
Don't hear of many folks putting the 510 in newer baggers. Good to hear your experience. Sounds like the 551 would of been a better fit for you. 😉

Old 05-17-2015, 09:13 AM
woodman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 363 Likes on 361 Posts

I've got them in an 06 Road King with 85k on it ,with a Big Bore Kit and TTS Tuner. Real dependable and they perform well

Old 05-17-2015, 09:30 AM
equandt
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the 510 gear drives in my '02 RKC. Loved them. They worked well when it was an 88" and even better when I jumped up to a 95" with heads.

Nice idle and a great touring cam. They are an older grind but will work well if set up correctly. I made 91hp and 97 tq in my 95".

Good luck.

Quick Reply: anyone with 510 s&s cams?