Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ohlins on a street glide

Old 05-15-2015, 06:22 PM
ctjoe59
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ohlins on a street glide

Doing my homework and I see many have Olin's on their street glides. The wife cringes riding on the back now, hit a bump at pain up spine. Use to have 13" 430's on a Rk and it was a charm. Street glide a little less forgiving. I want to keep it close to the same height as stock DG and ride 2 up a lot. looking at the 2-a or 2-b. I also hear about the 3 series but at 5'7 may be a bit tall, I don't want the short 3 shock. I am curious if the 2 series shocks are like progressives, meaning you have to set the sag which will lower the shock some or do they come pre set with sag? also any comments on ohlin shock riders that ride 2 up. many thanks

Last edited by ctjoe59; 05-15-2015 at 06:25 PM.
Old 05-15-2015, 06:47 PM
Rock Chalk
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ctjoe59
Doing my homework and I see many have Olin's on their street glides. The wife cringes riding on the back now, hit a bump at pain up spine. Use to have 13" 430's on a Rk and it was a charm. Street glide a little less forgiving. I want to keep it close to the same height as stock DG and ride 2 up a lot. looking at the 2-a or 2-b. I also hear about the 3 series but at 5'7 may be a bit tall, I don't want the short 3 shock. I am curious if the 2 series shocks are like progressives, meaning you have to set the sag which will lower the shock some or do they come pre set with sag? also any comments on ohlin shock riders that ride 2 up. many thanks
i put some on my 09 street glide last year....wife says it's the best money ever spent. i can't say i disagree. changed the whole riding experience. no more 'getting ready' for bumps.

i contacted, talked to and bought from howard at motorcycle metal. he knows his stuff about these things and had them set up and ready to go when they arrived, no adjustments needed. i'd start by giving him a call (some people say he's a little cranky at times...i had a great experience with him and highly recommend buying from him)

http://www.motorcyclemetal.com

Old 05-15-2015, 07:00 PM
ctjoe59
Intermediate

What model did you go with ?

Old 05-15-2015, 07:04 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Ditto what rock chalk said.
Stock was painfull.
Progressive is good but stiff.
The 3-3 are not stiff and not soft and as stated you never have to say to your self when you see a road dip, bump, hole, "hold on" ....you just ride over it. They handle great. Howard presets them after you fill out his sheet and I installed them right out of the box. Love em.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:12 PM
Rock Chalk
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ctjoe59
What model did you go with ?
2-2...i believe....to be honest i didn't get caught up in those numbers..., i told howard what my deal was, now i ride and went with his recommendation.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:41 PM
escalade6103
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i agree with the above. ohlins and truck-lite leds are the best upgrades. i got the 3-3 and they actually sit lower than my stock street glide shocks. the 2-3 or 3-3 give you more travel and better ride. if your worried about the ride height im 5'7", 29" inseam and im flatfooted with the 3-3. howard gives a discount for forum members. he can answer any question you might have.

Old 05-16-2015, 06:52 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I have #3-3 on my Glide, which Howard recommended for us, as when Mrs B and I tour we are loaded close to the max limit of our Glide. The #3 shocks are separated, meaning the oil and gas inside are kept apart, which gives improved damping control for a heavy bike. The #2 are emulsion, meaning the oil and gas are mixed, which is fine for mostly solo riding, but may not give such good results loaded right up.

Last edited by grbrown; 05-16-2015 at 07:39 AM.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:30 AM
ctjoe59
Intermediate

Problem is I am only 5'7". The 3-1 keep you at stock height and the 3-3 raise bike up to a low of 12 3/4". If I am backing bike out of spot, I loose 3/4 inch when standing and not sitting. If I go they route, I think I would have to narrow seat down to get more flat footed when trying to walk bike while on it. This is why I was looking at 2 series

Old 05-16-2015, 07:38 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

You shouldn't be sitting on the bike when reversing it! Get off and push from beside it, far safer. You're the same height as me and I can't flat-foot my bike, never have been able to since I bought it in 1990. I use the stock length #3-3 to maintain ride quality and cornering clearance, which are more important to me than pushing it backwards from the saddle!

Old 05-16-2015, 07:57 AM
ctjoe59
Intermediate

Many times you can't stand along side and back it in. Try during that at a bike event, when parking down town at laconia or daytona Ina lot. No room. At least for me. Also sto a&a light to get something out of pocket. Same idea. While everyone has different needs and comforts, this is mine. Thus, the 3-3 series might be a bit tall for me, the way I read it on spec sheet. Would like to keep it at 12" and get a comforting, non jarring ride experience for the mrs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ohlins on a street glide