Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra is giving me the "cold shoulder"

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 01:28 PM
Runamuk13
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ultra is giving me the "cold shoulder"

Just finished installing RaceTech innards in the folks of my 2011 Ultra Limited. After putting everything back together, turned on the ignition and ..... nothing! No lights, no instruments, no fuel pump, no sign of life at all, except the heartbeat blinking of the security system light.

The battery tests at 12.6 volts.
All the fuses are good.
Pulled the 40amp main fuse to shut off power and "reset" everything. Plugged back in after 10 minutes. No change. Still no sign of life.

Have retraced all my work looking for anything like a loose electrical plug. Everything looks good.

The only "electrical related" stuff I removed/unplugged/reinstalled was:
  • the 4 switch panel - spot/spkr/cruise/acc - which also required pulling the ignition switch handle and rod,
  • the light on the front fender,
  • the front of the fairing. In hindsight, I probably didn't need to remove as that didn't provide any better access to the fork caps.

I've gone back through these things to make sure the plugs are tight. All is good.

I know the ignition switch handle and rod can be tricky. I have monkey'd with it quite a bit and think it is in correctly. The forks lock and the switch acts like it should as I turn it through off/ignition/acc. But nothing turns on. Absolutely nothing. No sign of life.

I've obviously pissed her off, but what do I do now? I'm thinking that buying her flowers isn't going to help.

Old 05-17-2015, 02:10 PM
Scaredofrain
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You answered my question already.

Old 05-17-2015, 03:41 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,289 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Did you have a line up tool to use on the ignition switch? They can be tricky as hell.

Old 05-17-2015, 05:09 PM
simonizr
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How old is the battery? Even though it reads well, it could be a false reading and dead.

Old 05-17-2015, 06:02 PM
Runamuk13
Intermediate

The battery is about 2 years old and in good shape. I had been riding the bike up to Friday evening when I began the fork rebuild project. So, I'm thinking the battery is ok.

I don't have a line-up tool for the ignition switch. Wish I did. With a flashlight, I could see down in there and make sure the parts were in alignment before dropping the rod in there. As near as I can tell it is installed right. But I can't be sure.

Is it possible to have the ignition switch installed right but it doesn't turn the electronics on?

Old 05-17-2015, 06:03 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,720 Likes on 1,546 Posts

My vote is your ignition switch tumblers are off.

Old 05-17-2015, 07:38 PM
Musician
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 136 Posts

I second that about the ignition switch.Guess why?

Old 05-18-2015, 09:51 AM
Runamuk13
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Musician
I second that about the ignition switch.Guess why?
My gutfeel agrees with you, Ip and Musician. I've seen other threads where the ignition switch is an evil menace.

I can't tell you how many times I have had that rod out, peered down into the switch with a flashlight, spun the tumblers around, purposely mis-aligned the tumblers so I'd have to get them back in alignment, etc, etc.

Gonna go monkey around with the ignition some more today and pray that I become "one" with the switch in some zen-like state and it suddenly works.

Has anyone dug into the guts of the switch? It appears there are 2 tumblers - upper and lower. Does each tumbler control different stuff?

Old 05-18-2015, 09:56 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,289 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Have you tried these steps?

Old 05-18-2015, 01:24 PM
Runamuk13
Intermediate

Thanks for posting those instructions, Vernal.

I got out my grinder and piece of strap metal and made an alignment tool. I shaped it so that I could turn each tumbler separately.

I turned the bottom tumbler counterclockwise to the Fork Lock position. Tested to make sure the forks were locked. Then I turned the upper tumbler to line up with the lower tumbler.

Looking down the tube with a flashlight, I could see both tumblers were aligned in roughly the 2:00/8:00 position. Reinstalled ignition switch ****/rod. No change. Bike still shows no sign of life.

Crap! I think I'm gonna have to drag it to the local shop and throw money at it. I can feel the sucking on my wallet already.

BTW-I can turn the upper tumbler all the way around. Is that correct?

Quick Reply: Ultra is giving me the "cold shoulder"