Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saddle Bag Gas Can

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 02:47 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Reda will work fine in yours, just not an exact fit. I have also bought the cans at the camping store that hold lantern fuel and they work good too.

I've said my peace about those that say stop every xxx for gas.... For some rides and somet times, this just isn't an option.

Old 05-22-2015, 04:05 PM
logical
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=batman.;14043160]
Originally Posted by Joe12RK
jeez if this guy asked you where to buy a watch, would you be telling him he doesn't need to know what time it is?

Thats funny I don't care who you are...

Batman
Reminds me of what somebody told me about why he won't wear a watch with a day/date function on it..." if you don't know what day it is, why do you care what time it is?"

Old 05-22-2015, 06:48 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

[QUOTE=logical;14043833]
Originally Posted by batman.
Reminds me of what somebody told me about why he won't wear a watch with a day/date function on it..." if you don't know what day it is, why do you care what time it is?"

Just wait 'til you get into your mid to late forties. You'll find there's no reason to have a day/date on your watch any longer. particularly when it's easier to see on your phone.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:17 PM
flht_db
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PastorToddAK
I know most will never ride way up north, but for those that venture into areas where fuel stops can be far and few such as western BC and the Yukon a little insurance in the saddle bag is a good idea. I have known people that have made the trek to Alaska and not needed it, but I also know of others that have made the trip and found the gas stops they thought would be there either hadn't opened for the season or closed early. The later were very glad to have an extra gallon of fuel.

This is true, some of those places close completely. And what you were told was a good hotel / gas / dinner stop (aka a town) is closed and the next one is 60-80 miles and an hour and a half. Was fortunate to have a 9 gal fuel tank, though I did end up on the ALCAN much later than I planned and was advised against. And Coldfoot to Deadhorse is 240 miles without fuel.

The other thing to note is some areas of the country places close earlier, and depending on riding style and plans they may be closed (may have a credit card pump open that you can use or may not)

Best thing is as noted know you bike/vehicle and average MPG and its variations based on right hand or foot, and stop when needed. I actually use the trip-o-meter in my truck and the jeep and my kids have learned to do the same. I see no reason, with the new style gas bottles, to not have one if you are doing long rides and there is a chance you might miss a station for a multitude of reasons. Or buy a GSA!!

Last edited by flht_db; 05-22-2015 at 09:26 PM.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:08 AM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 508 Likes on 443 Posts

A gas container strapped to vehicle going thru British Columbia, the Yukon and Alaska is like standard equipment. Unlike the lower 48, the gas stations are spread out and the hours are limited. I don't remember any 24 hour pumps along the way. One of my memories was seeing people lining up at the pumps about 7:00 AM in Dease Lake, BC waiting for the station to open. Where I'm from most stations are 24/7 with convenience stores. In Dease Lake I heard a person say that they slept in the car because the station was closed and the only motel was full.

Old 05-23-2015, 11:08 AM
Rathgar
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Western Canada and Alaska is a place you want to be mindful about fuel for sure. The trip to Deadhorse makes it mandatory for most to carry extra. The northernmost roads in Canada are worse.
I almost ran out on the way to Haines and would have if we wouldn't have stopped at the first place south of the border and waited till morning.
I suppose you'd have the same conditions in parts of Mexico and beyond but in most of those remote areas I'd prefer to carry a larger can strapped on the outside somewhere, buy the can when your heading into that remote area and give it to someone else when you reach the other side.

Old 05-23-2015, 05:00 PM
logical
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster

Just wait 'til you get into your mid to late forties. You'll find there's no reason to have a day/date on your watch any longer. particularly when it's easier to see on your phone.
That ship sailed 10 years ago. I have plenty of issues but my eyes have held up pretty well. Mid 50's and no issues reading tiny type even in bad light.

Last edited by logical; 05-23-2015 at 05:03 PM.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:02 PM
FL450
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not looking to tanker fuel, just a butt saver. 10 miles for me or someone else that runs out. It's 92octane and lasts for 5 years.

Old 05-24-2015, 05:32 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by cass
I've gotten close to running out but that has been because i passed up a couple of stations. if you know what your range is, you can figure out when to stop.

Agreed, everything you need to figure out and follow your distance between fill ups is already on your ride. JR