Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting ready to put a stage 1 kit on

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 11:13 AM
kylebru1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Getting ready to put a stage 1 kit on

I'm wondering what I should expect as far as a power increase/mpg increase or decrease/anything like that.

I'm adding Rinehart slimline heads, Rinehart 4" slip ons, Fuel Moto Pro Billet air cleaner, and a Fuel Moto Micro Tuner.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:39 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 394 Likes on 336 Posts

results will vary...

in general a 'stage 1' will increase power from 7 to 10 horsepower.

this is done by simply removing the muffling in the intake and exhaust for noise emissions.

we have been doing the same thing for over 30 years- hi flow intake, hi flow exhaust ( which does not have to be louder- but usually is. Supertrapp is a notable exception)

we used to just retune the carb and maybe swap in a police or sportster ignition module- or a crane or dyna ignition once they became available.

2010+ bikes have a catalytic convertor in the header, which you are replacing- that will help with flow...it will also be louder just from that change.

you are using the micro tuner- the settings on that will determine the difference between the typical 7/10 and the mpg.

A big loss of mpg will signal that settings may not be correct in all areas.

My stage 1 2009 96" FLHTC got 44 mpg when stock, 43 MPG now. I use different stuff than you so no apples to apples.
those numbers are typical cruising at part throttle, 70 ish MPH in 6th

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 05-21-2015 at 11:41 AM.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:28 PM
kylebru1
Tourer

Originally Posted by mkguitar
results will vary...

in general a 'stage 1' will increase power from 7 to 10 horsepower.

this is done by simply removing the muffling in the intake and exhaust for noise emissions.

we have been doing the same thing for over 30 years- hi flow intake, hi flow exhaust ( which does not have to be louder- but usually is. Supertrapp is a notable exception)

we used to just retune the carb and maybe swap in a police or sportster ignition module- or a crane or dyna ignition once they became available.

2010+ bikes have a catalytic convertor in the header, which you are replacing- that will help with flow...it will also be louder just from that change.

you are using the micro tuner- the settings on that will determine the difference between the typical 7/10 and the mpg.

A big loss of mpg will signal that settings may not be correct in all areas.

My stage 1 2009 96" FLHTC got 44 mpg when stock, 43 MPG now. I use different stuff than you so no apples to apples.
those numbers are typical cruising at part throttle, 70 ish MPH in 6th

Mike
Yea I figured it varies a little from set up to set up, thanks for the numbers though!

Old 05-21-2015, 02:31 PM
2013_FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 1,043 Likes on 258 Posts

Bottom line is a good tune with provide you with a much better running engine. My 13 may not be much faster but than stock but it now runs great and averages 42 MPG. I still want more power... cams and possibly flat top pistons along with Khromewerks Touring mufflers.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:38 PM
kylebru1
Tourer

Originally Posted by 2013_FLHTK
Bottom line is a good tune with provide you with a much better running engine. My 13 may not be much faster but than stock but it now runs great and averages 42 MPG. I still want more power... cams and possibly flat top pistons along with Khromewerks Touring mufflers.
Yea I don't need a ton of power, I'm perfectly fine with the power now. I was just curious to be honest. I do like that the bike will sound better (to me) and run much better.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:26 PM
Betteroff
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done stage 1. At first I thought my mpg went way down. Then when I did a large group ride doing the speed limit on the back roads, my mpg went back where it was when stock. So "I" am the reason my mpg went down after completing the stage !! Vroom Vroom

Old 05-21-2015, 04:49 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

It is all about the tune...

Old 05-21-2015, 04:53 PM
King-a-ling
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I just installed fuel moto's micro tuner on mine (08 RK). They gave me two tunes, one for a k&n filter and eom exhaust and one for the k&n with aftermarket slip ons. Mine runs better and pulls better with the first tune (k&n filter only). It doesn't feel any faster. The big difference I can tell is at cruising speed 60-75 mph. I can shift into 6th at 60 mph where as before it didn't like 6th till about 70 mph. It pulls better and just runs silky smooth at those speeds. To early to tell on fuel mileage, but after the 1st tank it went down around 2 mpg. And that may be due to me shifting into 6th earlier. But, during the time, I tried both tunes. I haven't tried manually adjusting the fuel % and seeing how it does. Also to early to tell on heat, I'll know when it gets up in the 90's, but so far it does feel cooler even when idling in 80+ degrees.

I will say, I've always been skeptical of a tuner. Is it really needed or just some marketing gemmick to get your money? Coming from metrics, to me none of mine never needed it. They all ran great, etc. After installing the FM's micro tuner, I can say it does run better and makes a noticeable difference on my 08.

Last edited by King-a-ling; 05-21-2015 at 05:01 PM.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:50 PM
tmultra
Road Warrior
Received 593 Likes on 190 Posts

On my 2013 after stage one my HP is 80 and torque is 99. I don't remember what they said the factory numbers were but I remember HP only went up slightly. Gained more in torque. I didn't have it long enough before doing stage one to check MPG. I'm averageing about 42MPG right now though

Old 05-21-2015, 10:34 PM
digger58
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Some say there is no difference , some claim huge gains.
I know for a fact mine runs cooler, sounds better and to me, worth the time and effort

Quick Reply: Getting ready to put a stage 1 kit on