Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why So Serious?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 07:05 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

I just ordered a set of Michelin Commander II's from American Motorcycle Tire for 312.13 delivered to my door in 4 days. 20.00 each at an independent to mount and balance off of the bike. Dunlops were about 15.00 more a set.

Bill

Old 05-22-2015, 07:34 AM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

My experience with tire work at the dealer has been very sad. they put the tire on backwards once, noticed it at home so another trip back. when I changed my rims they did not use the washer under the stem nut. found that at home when on a whim checked the psi before I put the wheel back on the bike, another trip back. Im getting my own tire machine, No Mar has some nice manual changers.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:41 AM
RevBlk
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 62 Posts

That's almost a Canadian price for a rear tire supplied and installed. I order my online and change them myself. Rim protectors work way better than the milk jug handles we used in the past. 2 tire irons and I can mount my rear tire in 15 mins. Obviously that doesn't include the time to remove the wheel from the bike, remove the caliper, remove the drive pulley. Bottom line it takes me 90 minutes from start to finish. I save about 200 bux per tire.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:46 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Interesting that they sold you a new cush piece. Definitely a sales tactic. 35K on my bagger and on the 4th rear tire but never saw a need to put a new cush piece in the wheel.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:24 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 539 Likes on 396 Posts

I went to a Honda shop and found a Dunlop, the right size, in the tire rack. They took my scooter to the back, pulled the tire, and put the new one on. When it was brought back, I noticed the tire had "Harley" on the side.

$150

Old 05-22-2015, 09:35 AM
Roadie09
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sixguns
Im getting my own tire machine, No Mar has some nice manual changers.
I bought one of these machines 4-5 years ago and with changing 4-5 tires per year, it has more than payed for itself. The closest shop that can change a motorcycle tire to my house is a 90 mile round trip (so I had some extra incentive). I will be honest, it does take a few tire changes to get the hang of using the No-Mar. But now it is less than 15 minutes to remove the tire from the rim and mount the new rubber (not counting removing and re-installing on bike).

Old 05-22-2015, 09:37 AM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by sel53
I called multiple dealerships and the online stores and got quite a range of quotes for both tire and mounting (none as high as yours). Bought the tires from the place in Utah. Every bit as good a tire as the HD one.

Had the dealer mount & balance for about $75 each (including pulling off the bike). They were competitive.

Your dealer is a bad apple.
=============

My local HD dealer charged me $99 per tire to remove the wheels from the bike, ,dismount the old tires,install the new tires & add the Ride-On balance agent and selaer to the new Mich comander tires & Ride-on i bought/supplied.

Scott

Old 05-22-2015, 09:51 AM
vistavette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

I buy the Dunlop American Elite from whoever has the best price at the time (on line) and the local victory/Indian dealer installs them for $35/wheel on the bike. That dealer was recently sold so I hope they'll keep doing that for me.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:34 AM
Highwayman-AL
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought a Harbor Freight Tire changer. Used it several times, last time it took (different bike) hours and the tire bar broke and nearly took my eye out, then the hassle of mounting and adjusting.

I then used Cycle Gear for $25.00 per change I take off the tires and supply the rubber. The last time I changed tires on the Harley I bought the Michelin Commander online and took it to the dealership 1 mile from where I work. $90.00 per tire, remove from the bike, mount and balance. Then I had them check for brake wear, wheel bearings and and they set the belt tension and alignment. For me the $90.00 is worth my time and risk to oneself to let them do it.

Since I change tire once a year, even though I can do it cheaper, but the hassle and time and in frequency I can see spending the money for someone else to do while I work and then can go ride.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:18 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

I have used Cycle Gear several times...very quick, very efficient, very good, very expensive...so I have found a local independent shop who will order the tire, mount, balance, I take the wheel off the bike and bring it to him...VERY reasonable, everything considered. I suggest you look around to see if you can find such a shop. I would guess that my shop is probably making fifty, sixty bux on the deal, good profit for 15-20 minutes worth of work...

Quick Reply: Why So Serious?