Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why So Serious?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 12:29 PM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ibfuelish

I buy a service manual and parts manual from the dealership. Yes, I bent over. But, I need the torques, part numbers, the works for whatever I feel I need to do.

I take my rear wheel off and take it to the dealer. $308 for a rear tire...UM, that's $18 more than hd.com Dealership says need to replace tube, rim seal and the sprocket rubber isolator. These are all more in price than the online parts shop. But, I'm chicken to cheap out on something so important as a tire. I took the darn thing off and I'm still out $470 with tax, labor, parts...BS!

So NOW, I'm educating myself. I can get the Dunlop tire for about half if I do without the cute little bar and shield emblem. The isolator part number from my parts catalog doesn't reference at HD.com so I can't check their $38 price. I am now pouring through this service manual and it only says to INSPECT this isolator for the need replace, not replace it every time at tire change.

I can't do a tire myself (at least I was never adept at doing my dirt bikes even though I should've been able to) where is everybody going to get their tires changed?
Buying the OEM manual was the best 60 bucks you're going to spend on your bike!

I go here. That price is on the bike and the tires are cheaper than online. So if you're in Brevard Co. FL....

Your dealer is definitely screwing you. Call around to all the shops in your area, including the honda dealer. Ask about internet price matching while you're on the phone. You'll find someone reasonable. The local honda dealer does internet price matching on everything.

For those that want to bring oil and tires into an indi shop: Oil and tires are what keep most indi shops in business. Go into your indi with an online price and ask if they can meet it. If they can't and it's 10 bucks more, consider getting it through them anyway. Believe me, they're NOT getting rich.

Old 05-22-2015, 01:19 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,722 Likes on 1,547 Posts

Originally Posted by Veekness
I have used Cycle Gear several times...very quick, very efficient, very good, very expensive...so I have found a local independent shop who will order the tire, mount, balance, I take the wheel off the bike and bring it to him...VERY reasonable, everything considered. I suggest you look around to see if you can find such a shop. I would guess that my shop is probably making fifty, sixty bux on the deal, good profit for 15-20 minutes worth of work...
What was cyclegear charging you to change the tire? It's like 25-35 bucks here. I wouldn't call it expensive. What does your local shop charge?

Old 05-22-2015, 02:51 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

yes, I do have one near. I was just hesitant to use them. Anybody else use them?
Yep, this is who I use! The manager at my store will even match the price of online tires but I pay tax. He also discounts the mounting and balance if I buy through him.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:25 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

The 14 model year and up HD spoked tires are tubeless.

That is why I kept them on my 14 RK. Previously they required tubes so when the dealer had a 10 Ultra with the wheel option in 2010 I had them swap with the mag wheels when I bought it.

However, I do all my services, accessory installs and and tire mounting. It just isn't a big deal or difficult.

I do it because I am ****. No tech can do it more through or better but they sure can screw up from time to time.

The fact that they wanted to sell a tube does not speak well of your dealer from the git go.

Old 05-23-2015, 12:13 AM
mid30
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an Indy that I take my tires to. I dont have to mess with taking them off, ride up with tire, $40 and 30 min later I am riding away.

Old 05-23-2015, 12:53 AM
Musician
Road Captain
Received 190 Likes on 137 Posts

Local apparel and accessory shop. Bring in wheel, bought tire from them-$25.00 - Done.

Old 05-23-2015, 10:45 AM
dwoodlives
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
However, I do all my services, accessory installs and and tire mounting. It just isn't a big deal or difficult.

I do it because I am ****. No tech can do it more through or better but they sure can screw up from time to time.

This pretty much describes me too! I bought a No Mar tire changer [the Pro model] and it makes changing tires effortless. Also have a Marc Parnes balancer.

As for buying tires . . . I ordered from Amazon front and rear Michelin Commander II's for my 2014 XL1200cp. It came originally with HD Michelin Scorchers. Total price for both from Amazon: $270.98. Free shipping and they arrived in just a few days.

Only the rear required replacing immediately. I actually enjoy working on my bikes. The satisfaction of doing things myself and knowing it is done right.

Old 05-23-2015, 04:02 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

yes, I do have one near. I was just hesitant to use them. Anybody else use them?
that is all my dad uses. I don't think the isolators need to be changed every time just check them out

Old 05-23-2015, 07:03 PM
Mirnldi@gmail.com
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

$286 installed for the stock rear Dunlop On a 13 Limited today at my local dealer.

Old 05-23-2015, 07:32 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

The Yamaha dealer will change a carry in for 1/2 what the Harley dealer wants. However, you need to stand outside on the sidewalk with a billboard hawking Yamaha specials while they do it.

Quick Reply: Why So Serious?