Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why So Serious?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 11:07 PM
Ibfuelish
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Why So Serious?

Ok, so the title is a bit off, but I feel as crazy as Heath Ledgers Joker character because of standard maintenance on my 2014 Road King.

So I hit 9500 miles. Decided to can the rear tire about 1000 early as summer is here and I don't want to take everything apart during prime riding time.

I buy a service manual and parts manual from the dealership. Yes, I bent over. But, I need the torques, part numbers, the works for whatever I feel I need to do.

I take my rear wheel off and take it to the dealer. $308 for a rear tire...UM, that's $18 more than hd.com Dealership says need to replace tube, rim seal and the sprocket rubber isolator. These are all more in price than the online parts shop. But, I'm chicken to cheap out on something so important as a tire. I took the darn thing off and I'm still out $470 with tax, labor, parts...BS!

So NOW, I'm educating myself. I can get the Dunlop tire for about half if I do without the cute little bar and shield emblem. The isolator part number from my parts catalog doesn't reference at HD.com so I can't check their $38 price. I am now pouring through this service manual and it only says to INSPECT this isolator for the need replace, not replace it every time at tire change.

I can't do a tire myself (at least I was never adept at doing my dirt bikes even though I should've been able to) where is everybody going to get their tires changed?

Old 05-21-2015, 11:11 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Originally Posted by Ibfuelish
Ok, so the title is a bit off, but I feel as crazy as Heath Ledgers Joker character because of standard maintenance on my 2014 Road King.

So I hit 9500 miles. Decided to can the rear tire about 1000 early as summer is here and I don't want to take everything apart during prime riding time.

I buy a service manual and parts manual from the dealership. Yes, I bent over. But, I need the torques, part numbers, the works for whatever I feel I need to do.

I take my rear wheel off and take it to the dealer. $308 for a rear tire...UM, that's $18 more than hd.com Dealership says need to replace tube, rim seal and the sprocket rubber isolator. These are all more in price than the online parts shop. But, I'm chicken to cheap out on something so important as a tire. I took the darn thing off and I'm still out $470 with tax, labor, parts...BS!

So NOW, I'm educating myself. I can get the Dunlop tire for about half if I do without the cute little bar and shield emblem. The isolator part number from my parts catalog doesn't reference at HD.com so I can't check their $38 price. I am now pouring through this service manual and it only says to INSPECT this isolator for the need replace, not replace it every time at tire change.

I can't do a tire myself (at least I was never adept at doing my dirt bikes even though I should've been able to) where is everybody going to get their tires changed?

Do you have a Cycle Gear store near you?
They mount and balance mine for $25.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:36 PM
Ibfuelish
Road Captain

yes, I do have one near. I was just hesitant to use them. Anybody else use them?

Old 05-21-2015, 11:39 PM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 215 Posts

I have used my local cycle gear, just brought them tire and rim...

Old 05-21-2015, 11:39 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Everybody I ride with uses them....

I wouldn't let the MMI hacks at a Harley dealer put air in my tires.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:47 PM
Ibfuelish
Road Captain

Roger that! Thanks!

Old 05-22-2015, 12:13 AM
sel53
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I called multiple dealerships and the online stores and got quite a range of quotes for both tire and mounting (none as high as yours). Bought the tires from the place in Utah. Every bit as good a tire as the HD one.

Had the dealer mount & balance for about $75 each (including pulling off the bike). They were competitive.

Your dealer is a bad apple.

Old 05-22-2015, 05:20 AM
036.6turbo
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I buy my tires online, have local Indy shop dis-mount and mount. I race dirt bikes, change a lot of those tires, but not taking tire irons to Harley rims.

It can be done at home. Easiest way is a bench vise, with at least a 6" wide bite. Use that to break the bead, then tire iron it. But why risk nicking up the rims.

I think I'm gonna run Shinkos, on the bike I'm building now. Much less expensive than the H-D Dunlops.

Amazon.com: Shinko 712 Rear Tire - 130/90H-16/Black: Automotive Amazon.com: Shinko 712 Rear Tire - 130/90H-16/Black: Automotive

Like you said, "Why so serious?" really? It's just a tire!

Old 05-22-2015, 06:11 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,720 Likes on 1,546 Posts

Originally Posted by Greezey Rider
Do you have a Cycle Gear store near you?
They mount and balance mine for $25.
+1. I do the same.

198.95 at: http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/...DAMELT&CartID=
190.88 at: http://www.chaparral-racing.com/prod.../331-0471.aspx

Could find it cheaper if you kept looking I bet.

Last edited by lp; 05-22-2015 at 06:24 AM.
Old 05-22-2015, 06:54 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,362 Likes on 2,617 Posts

Tires are such a money printing factory for dealers. I got lucky last fall, a local dealer was offering $200 installed for any OEM replacement (meaning Dunlop) tire. Since Harley is the only place you can buy a tire for a rear Agitator, and the tire itself lists at over $300, I was thrilled to get the tire and the install for two hundy out the door.

Quick Reply: Why So Serious?