Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 FLHX SG Cruise Control Disengage

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 02:46 PM
dadunn1960
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked the clutch adjustment first time it happened, and it was good. The really puzzling piece is when the cruise drops the 6 gear light drops with it and the fact that sometimes I've not noticed it out until I try to resume and it doesn't work. If I stop and shut down it will reset something and work like its suppose to. Been wanting to head down south to Florida but not without my cruise.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:50 PM
dadunn1960
6th Gear

No, just the 6 gear light and the cruise indicator stays yellow.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:52 PM
dadunn1960
6th Gear

I have one but not recent. The bike only has a little over 7000 miles, and purchased it new. This is my first problem.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:50 PM
dadunn1960
6th Gear

Did your 6 gear light go out with the cruise control? And was your CC intermittent, being that it only fails during long rides.

I afraid this is something easy, but electronic and a nightmare to find!

Old 05-25-2015, 08:10 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 508 Likes on 443 Posts

Have you tried the cruise control in another gear? It should set in 4th or 5th gear at speeds over 30 MPH.
Does the 6th gear light go out when you're traveling without the cruise control?
This "sticky" gives some diagnostic info for cruise control but it might be for pre 08 FLHX models because it mentions throttle cables and you have TBW. If the procedure is still the same it might give you a code for why the cruise disengaged. It might be worth a look/read.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignit...and-codes.html

Old 05-25-2015, 08:13 PM
escalade6103
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dadunn1960
Did your 6 gear light go out with the cruise control? And was your CC intermittent, being that it only fails during long rides.

I afraid this is something easy, but electronic and a nightmare to find!
mine was on long rides as well. 6th light wouldnt come one. if i stopped and shut it off it would reset. my green cruise light would stay on all the time and wouldnt work.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:14 PM
escalade6103
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dadunn1960
I have one but not recent. The bike only has a little over 7000 miles, and purchased it new. This is my first problem.

mine didnt happen for over 5k miles. after reading some replies on here i was able to find more threads where others had the same problem

Old 05-25-2015, 11:03 PM
dadunn1960
6th Gear

The problem usually doesn't appear until I'm on the highway for about 30 minutes, and it does the 6 gear light will not illuminate and CC will not engage. If I stop and shut down the problem is gone and everything is working fine for about 30 minutes and it will happen again.
The c/c does work in other gears.

I tried to run the C/C diagnostic test but couldn't access it, probably not using correct procedure. I have the H/D Service Manual but no troubleshooting for C/C

Old 05-26-2015, 12:02 AM
Dr. Tiki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 568 Likes on 214 Posts

The ECM all automatically disengage cruise whenever the ECM receives one of the following inputs:
  • front or rear brake is applied
  • Throttle Roll Off
  • clutch is engaged and the ECM senses an increase in RPM (engine over speed)
  • Cruise switch turned off
  • Kill switch turned off
  • Bike slows down to under 30 or over 90 by manual manipulation of the set/resume button

Of the list, the only one that would cause your 6 Gear light to go out as well is engine over speed. Next time it happens and before you reset, down shift to 5th gear and accelerate hard. Pay attention to any clutch slippage, or RPM increasing rapidly without a match in speed.

Also if you want to check your buttons... (from the book)
Enter Diagnostics Mode (Run Switch OFF, Ignition Switch at IGNITION, Hold the Set/Resume switch at SET while turning the Run switch on)
-The Green Cruise lamp lights and remains on as long as the Set/Resume button is held in SET position.
-Push to Resume, cruise light should go green again
-Turn throttle closed to check roll off command, cruise light should go green
-Apply Front Brake, cruise light should go green
-Apply rear brake, cruise light should go green

Also, have you manually checked to see if the bike threw any codes?

Last edited by Dr. Tiki; 05-26-2015 at 12:09 AM.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:38 PM
dadunn1960
6th Gear

I don't think I've had any clutch slippage or engine overspeed, this only happens when I'm driving in 6 gear on open road and under 65.

Did attempt to do the C/C ops test but couldn't gain access, was using the procedures for older models S/G.

I did go to the local Harley shop today and they replaced the rear brake light switch because of a recall and he did mention this could be the problem. However he did say that they have seen this problem to with a bad left handle bar control head. I will be heading out of town Thursday morning and will put the C/C to the test, and if it in fact fails I suppose my next step will be to change the handle bar control . I personally hate to pull parts and exchange trying to fix a problem. I would like to find the underlying issue that is responsible for the problem, but sometimes its cheaper to throw parts.

Any suggestion as to where I could find a service manual for all the electronic systems with a troubleshooting tree?

Will follow your advice and check the switches tomorrow.
Thanks!!

Quick Reply: 2010 FLHX SG Cruise Control Disengage