Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Hog Tunes Amp and Speakers experience

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 11:31 AM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

I have a 6 speaker Hogtunes system in my bike, two replacement speakers, tweeterpod, and 7" woofers in the lowers. It's loud and the sound quality is excellent as far as I'm concerned. I can hear the music at 65 MPH very clearly. I had one speaker and an amp go out and they replaced them quickly with no questions asked.

Are there better units out there? I'm sure there are, but I'm very happy with mine. Their service is excellent.

The following users liked this post:
golfblues (03-08-2020)
Old 05-25-2015, 11:34 AM
Mbarz
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Boom Audio

I spent 1100 already on my boom audio for my 2011 ultra amp and speakers and not happy with the sound at all. It was good for about a week and now it sounds like the back speakers are blown, took it back to dealer numerous times and they told me that is how it is supposed to sound. The sound gets distorted at about half volume. Have the stock head unit in still, and when I get cash together thinking about just replacing the back speakers. Spent enough money on this already and still not happy with it. It sounds like the right speaker is worse because there is no bass out of it just distortion. Now after they drilled holes in in my tour pak for the bass ports I am going to start looking for something I can put in that place. And I will be doing it myself this time. I can still listen to it at city speeds just not good at highway speed. Let me know how it works out for you. I am still trying to keep this under 1500

Old 05-25-2015, 12:14 PM
sbeast
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by paid4c4
Dark Knight, thanks for the write up as I intend to learn from your experiences. I'm in the same situation as far as I would like a little more volume and clarity without changing the head unit. I've already heard bad things about Hog Tunes and ruled them out. I've heard good things about Biketronics http://www.biketronics.com and am planning on calling them for ideas. Please let us know what you decide and how it works.
Bill
Biketronics is awesome. I love my setup from them.

Also, it should be noted that the stock HK radio in 06-13 models puts out a lot of distortion above 50% volume. All the amps and speakers in the world can't fix the shitty quality sound the stereo is putting out. If you change your head unit out, the difference is night and day

Last edited by sbeast; 05-25-2015 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:42 PM
Dark Knight
Road Captain
Received 146 Likes on 36 Posts

Sc0- the amp was installed by my shop - a Hog Tunes dealer. I can recheck the connections but I don't think that's the problem. It's not that bad that it sounds like there's something wrong with it. It just doesn't sound as good as one would expect for a speaker and amp upgrade.

Based on what I've read it looks like opinions on Boom! and Hog Tunes go either way.
I'll have to dig deeper on Biketronics

Old 05-25-2015, 01:20 PM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dark Knight
Sc0- the amp was installed by my shop - a Hog Tunes dealer. I can recheck the connections but I don't think that's the problem. It's not that bad that it sounds like there's something wrong with it. It just doesn't sound as good as one would expect for a speaker and amp upgrade.

Based on what I've read it looks like opinions on Boom! and Hog Tunes go either way.
I'll have to dig deeper on Biketronics
good luck and keep us posted on the outcome....this is a thread that i am sure has been repeated many times...and you are right about 1 thing. everything you read here are opinions and you know what they say about opinions (including mine), they are like azzholes, everyone has one and they all stink...lol

Old 05-25-2015, 03:06 PM
sbeast
Road Master

If you're ok with doing your own installation, you can build your own system that will blow all the kit systems for half the price of them. A rockford fosgate pbr300 amp, with a good pair of speakers, adapters and wiring, costs about $300.

Old 05-25-2015, 03:42 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

I hate to say what you don't want to hear, but you shoulda asked for recommendations in the audio section. We're not a bunch of audiophiles recommending the most expensive gear. Actually the opposite, most of the guys give advice on what's the best bang for your buck regardless of budget.

Not sure what the prices are up in CA for you but if you give us a ballpark on what you would like to spend we're here to help.

Check what a Cerwin B2 amp goes for your area, I like this amp over the PBR Fosgate. For speakers Infinity 62.11i or Kicker KSC67.

Last edited by haze324; 05-25-2015 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:51 PM
billbuzz
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have a 13 street glide and also wanted more volume and better sound but wanted to keep the stock head unit. Did a lot of research and decided on the biketronics 2180 amp and 7.1 speakers. When I was doing the research on speakers and amps I read a lot of complaints about hogtunes and none about biketronics. Biketronics was more money but the results were great. I cruise around with the tunes turned up sounding awesome.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:01 PM
Dark Knight
Road Captain
Received 146 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks for the input from everyone.

I took a spin on the bike tonight and after dropping the AVC to 2 here's what I discovered while listening to my mp3 CD:

- Riding at speeds of up to 60 mph the sound is now very clear. I have to set the volume at a peg or two below halfway otherwise it's too loud. The only critique I have is that the sound lacks depth. But it seems to be louder than with no amp. Not a ton but definitely noticeable.

- Riding with my ear plugs on at speeds of up to 75 mph I have to have the volume cranked to 3/4's. More volume after that doesn't seem to make a difference. There doesn't seem to be any more distortion. But with decent ear plugs on the volume is pretty low. But I'm learning that that's probably the best that I can expect when wearing plugs.

So what I have learned in all this...

- AVC will have to be adjusted to no more than 2 which means that you may have to manually adjust the volume at speed if you like more volume compensation. The Hog Tunes rep explained how the AVC holds back a certain "block" of volume which led to the distortion problem I had.

- With the HogTunes 4 channel amp and the 2 x 5 1/4" speakers there is noticeable volume improvement over just having the Boom Audio speakers with no amp. Not a ton louder but there is improvement

- The HogTunes speakers don't seem to sound as good as the Boom Audio ones....but they did blow at high volume with an amp.

With hindsight being 20-20 would I do all of this again? Not a chance. All I was looking for was more volume and the $300 CDN for the 2-channel amp was the max that I was willing to spend. This whole project ended up costing me more than twice that which I wouldn't have done for just a bit more volume.

Anyways, that's my opinion. Take it FWIW. Thanks again for those who have replied and good luck for those on the same quest that I was on - a bit more power without breaking the bank.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:26 AM
sbeast
Road Master

We all have to learn somehow. I figured out very early on that most "upgrades" sold by the MoCo are grossly overpriced and underperforming. It's a damn shame they don't take pride in their accessories

Quick Reply: My Hog Tunes Amp and Speakers experience