Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 10:04 AM
clackavosticus
Road Master
Received 156 Likes on 73 Posts
Smile Suspension upgrades

Just got fitted my hand adjustable touring shocks as well as fork cartridge kit - the handling is greatly improved.
Much smoother over small corrugations and firmer ride without being jarring. It soaks up the bumps way better now.
While I was at it I also fitted chrome disk calipers and front end kit as well as chrome vent trim - looks awesome- will post pics when I get around to it...

Old 05-25-2015, 10:29 AM
Alter Kaker
Senior Rider
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Upgrades

Interested in the parts you used for your upgrades.
I'm looking to do some handling upgrades on my 09 Electra Glide and frankly, I'm confused about what's practical and the cost.
I know the front end needs work, and I'm coming up to my first fork oil change, so it's a good time.
What did you use? I see you didn't beef up the triple tree - was it part of your decision process?
Thanks.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:13 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,307 Likes on 2,356 Posts

Just had the progressive monotubes put in the front forks on my'13 Road Glide. Once they are installed, no more fork oil changes or preventative maintenance on the forks. I paid $249.00 for the monotubes.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:39 PM
mikeo33y
Road Warrior
Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts

i wanna do the monotubes too next year. just did progressive 444s on back and like the op said, bike rode awesome. no more hard hits. kinda floats over the bumps now. cant wait to fix the front

Old 05-25-2015, 06:26 PM
clackavosticus
Road Master
Received 156 Likes on 73 Posts
Smile Upgrade cost

Originally Posted by Alter Kaker
Interested in the parts you used for your upgrades.
I'm looking to do some handling upgrades on my 09 Electra Glide and frankly, I'm confused about what's practical and the cost.
I know the front end needs work, and I'm coming up to my first fork oil change, so it's a good time.
What did you use? I see you didn't beef up the triple tree - was it part of your decision process?
Thanks.

G'day, Owyagoin'?

Here is the parts list I compiled for the upgrades - dollar values are AUD (I'm in Australia). The dollar values I ended up paying were slightly more than this quote (but not by much) as it was an old quote by the time I got round to buying the items.
Overall the parts themselves weren't too expensive (I think the hand adjustable shocks are especially good value for money for what you pay), the main hit was the cost of fitting - this worked out to be about $1170 AUD. They put new brake pads in to fit the chrome calipers and used some brake fluid which bumped up the fitting cost from that quoted of $1000 labour.

Parts bought for upgrade were:
Premium ride single cartridge fork kit: Standard height: part # 45500158 - $459
Touring shocks (hand adjustable): part # 54000008 - $719
Front end kit – chrome: part # 45800037 - $749
Brake caliper kit – chrome: part # 42012-06A - $1150

PS I didn't mess with the triple trees because the 2014 and later Rushmores already come standard with a wider (can't exactly remember how many millimetres - it's in the specs - I think it might be 49 mm) fork stance.

PSS You'll need to check the HD catalogue for part numbers to fit your '09 as I think some of the parts I ordered are designed to fit '14 and later Rushmores.
They seem to stock parts in the catalogue for older models - the part numbers are different that's all - you'll need to check this.

Regards,
Clacka

Last edited by clackavosticus; 05-25-2015 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Additional content
Old 05-25-2015, 07:02 PM
LudemJo
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by clackavosticus
Just got fitted my hand adjustable touring shocks as well as fork cartridge kit - the handling is greatly improved.
Much smoother over small corrugations and firmer ride without being jarring. It soaks up the bumps way better now.
While I was at it I also fitted chrome disk calipers and front end kit as well as chrome vent trim - looks awesome- will post pics when I get around to it...
I just completed a very similar setup on my 2013 EG Classic. I also installed the hand adjustable premium ride shocks in the rear, but went with the double cartridge premium ride fork inserts with no triple tree modifications. I also installed the Ward fans and the capt. Itch crotch cooler.

Overall, much more comfortable to ride, but we are still trying to figure out the appropriate preload setting on the rear shocks when we are riding two-up. Coming back from Rolling Thunder two-up on West I-66 at 70 mph was a bit jarring and we bottomed out several times. We have only ridden a couple times, so it is just a matter of time I think...we will figure it out. Solo, with the preload at its minimum setting, is quite comfortable and the forks are much more responsive. I did have them use SE fork oil, and it may have been a little overkill. A lighter weight fork oil may be more suitable with the double cartridge setup on the front.

By the way, the Ward fans and crotch cooler worked excellently in the DC stop and go traffic yesterday. Me, and the motorcycle kept our cool.

I am happy with all the modifications, but think some tuning and breaking in will make it even better.

Old 05-26-2015, 05:39 AM
mikeo33y
Road Warrior
Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts

if i had to pick between the 2 settings, id take a smooth ride and accept the bottoming out on the big holes. i will not sacrifice a overall smooth ride for a big hit once in awhile. i say this because sometimes its frustrating trying to find that sweet spot unless you spent 1200 bucks on shocks alone and another grand on the front end.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:31 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Bottoming out on a touring bike isn't acceptable IMHO! And you do not need to blow over a grand on decent shocks like Ohlins if you shop at the right place!

Old 05-27-2015, 12:37 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 476 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Bottoming out on a touring bike isn't acceptable IMHO! And you do not need to blow over a grand on decent shocks like Ohlins if you shop at the right place!
Graham , how's your front end project coming along ??

Old 05-27-2015, 12:51 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by tj316
Graham , how's your front end project coming along ??
TJ, I'm awaiting a delivery from Howard due tomorrow! Look out for a new thread with photos.......

Last edited by grbrown; 05-27-2015 at 12:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Suspension upgrades