Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does the V & H Fuel Pak Overide the O2 Sensors??

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 08:39 PM
Road Glider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does the V & H Fuel Pak Overide the O2 Sensors??

Been struggling with the decision to go with a Vance & Hines Fuel Pak, Power Commander PC, or Sertfor my07 FLTR which already has a Stage 1 download, SEAC and SE Touring Mufflers.

Bike runs great but really, reallyhot. Not planning on making any other changes so I figured "just add fuel"..that's what the Fuel Pak does.

How does it work though? I know with the Power Commander, the O2 sensors are disabled (another reason I didn't go that route). Please don't bring up the SERT,the dealers around here couldn't tune their way out of a paper bag.

Sooo ....Anybody know how the Fuel Pak can keep the O2 sensors and still richen things up?

Old 04-27-2007, 08:31 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: How does the V & H Fuel Pak Overide the O2 Sensors??

You've posed an interesting question, and I have no idea about the answer. But I wanted to bump this back up to the top hoping for some more visibility. I'm running a FuelPak, and have very smooth throttle response. Intuitively (dangerous!), it seems that adjustments to the base ECM by virtue of the O2 sensors would also be reflected in the final air/fuel mixture because I perceive the the FuelPak modifies the signal AFTER the ECM does what it's supposed to do. Does that make sense?

Old 04-27-2007, 09:13 AM
DCRANER
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Pastor John

You've posed an interesting question, and I have no idea about the answer. But I wanted to bump this back up to the top hoping for some more visibility. I'm running a FuelPak, and have very smooth throttle response. Intuitively (dangerous!), it seems that adjustments to the base ECM by virtue of the O2 sensors would also be reflected in the final air/fuel mixture because I perceive the the FuelPak modifies the signal AFTER the ECM does what it's supposed to do. Does that make sense?
May help if you tell us if the Fuel Pak did or did not make your engine run cooler.

Old 04-27-2007, 09:19 AM
Road Glider
Tourer

I posted this also under another thread and got this from MACHONEWON.....

"I installed the V&H sideshots and V&H fuel pack, with K&N AC. I have the code P0154 which statesRear 02 Sensor open/not responding".

Looks like ithe fuel pakis disabling them. I'm kinda disappointed.

I posed this same question to nightrider.com and got the following which says they are coming out with a product in June that allows you to select the A/F ratio and it still uses the O2 sensors ($250). Sounds really interesting.....here his response...

I don't think that the Fuel Pak is going to cool the exhaust/operating temperature down because of the way it works. If the Fuel Pak tries to add fuel while the engine is in closed loop mode, the ECU is going to lean out the mixture mixture even more. Since Fuel Pak wants to add a "percentage" fuel increase, it is only going to add that percentage to the mixture that the ECU is going to continue to be leaning out until it reaches 14.7:1. It's probably a loosing battle. Without disabling the O2 sensors which forces the ECU to use the "fall back" fuel map, under most circumstances the O2 sensors are going to be controlling the fuel mixture under normal riding conditions.[/align][/align]All the add on boxes that I am aware of have to use the design strategy to tell the ECU that the O2 sensors are not working or the engine is running outside of closed loop mode in order to take control away from 'closed loop'. Not purposely trying to push a product that Nightrider.com is about to release, but we have the only upgrade available that works with the OEM HD ECU to richen the fuel mixture in closed loop mode and was designed purely to correct the issues brought on by closed loop operation. Our upgrade is effective enough to let your engine work with any AFR mixture you want in closed loop, which will reduce heat and improve throttle response. We plan on releasing the product June 1 with a price of under $250.[/align][/align]If I am wrong about the V&H (or PCIII) working with OEM NBO2 sensor, I'd sure like to be corrected because I dislikepassing inaccurate information to other riders and really don't mind learning or being corrected. This constant learning process isthe only way I can continue to provide accurate and unbiased (as possible) information to the riding community.[/align]

Old 04-27-2007, 09:22 AM
badlandr
Road Captain

I installed one the other night and so far it seems to run as cool as my 03 Road King did. I would like to hear other responces to your questions too.

Old 04-27-2007, 09:27 AM
oilhog
Tourer

What happens if you run rinehart pipes , big sucker by AN, and no fuel pak, ie. factory setting? Will the fuel air mixture be right? I live at 575msl. I wonder how it would run in Aspen, Co at 9500msl?

Old 04-27-2007, 09:34 AM
sportygm57
Intermediate

I have an 07 XL50 and put a Fuel Pak in it. I think Vance and Hines is still in the experimental stage with the EFI Sportsters. I put VnH short shots on it, Screamin eagle stage 1 breather kit, new Screamin eagle plugs and the Fuel Pak. Nothing but a pain in the a%* since we put it on my bike. Slugglish throttle response, back fires on decleration, and surges at steady speeds. Been on the phone with Vance nad Hines Tech several times (3 days in a row) calibrating and re calibraiting until the tech advised to take off the fuel pak and see how bike ran without it. It runs a little better w/o but not much. the backfire issue is gone but slow response and surges still. Will it hurt my bike to run without the fuel pak? [:@]I"m open to any suggestions Thanks

[IMG]local://upfiles/27985/4CCCD3284E9A47109D910BA6168B2E4B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-27-2007, 11:42 AM
the_icemAN
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: oilhog

What happens if you run rinehart pipes , big sucker by AN, and no fuel pak, ie. factory setting? Will the fuel air mixture be right? I live at 575msl. I wonder how it would run in Aspen, Co at 9500msl?

I think it would be a mistake to not change the fuel. Don't know what bike you are running but if it is an '07 I think you are doing a lot more HURT than help. You have more air intake.... but no more fuel and the '07s are so lean you aren't getting a good compression. This will lead to even more heat because it can't force it out as quick. Having a good air/fuel ratio will help the bike become cooler and get the exhaust out. Also with something like performance type pipes you might have issues with the backpressure as you aren't pushing out enough. Like I said I don't know what bike you have but I really think it to be unwise to NOT change your Fuel settings by putting on a Stage 1 AC and Mufflers.

Old 04-27-2007, 11:59 AM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I ran a fuel pak on my 07 for awhile, it does the same cooling as a PCIII or sert, they all do the same thing, richen up the fuel mixture, this is what makes the motor run cooler. I talked to the techs at V&H before buying it about the 02's and they said they simply worked up there settings on the dyno using them and tuned for best compromise of power and fuel economy. The stock 02's have a very limited range and all I can say is my bike ran cool and as good As it does now with a PCIII. I replaced the fuel pack with a PCIII after reading many posts about how great it was, but for my setup, I only got a delayed start with the PCIII I did not have with the fuel pak.Power was near identical and fuel mileage was a little less with the pcIII. Fuel pak is a good choice for simple mods, pipes and air cleaner. Sert or pcIII would be better for more extensive modifications.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:13 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,187 Likes on 2,454 Posts

ORIGINAL: oilhog

you're going to run extremely lean. if you don't have the stage 1 download from hd, you are going to be running the risk of damaging your engine. if you do have the stage 1 download, it'll be better, but will still run very hot because you are still epa compliant, which means very lean.

Quick Reply: How does the V & H Fuel Pak Overide the O2 Sensors??